KiteLife Forum

Member Map

Without testing, I would guess that the house is your marker (home); 'F" are markers for people who are tagged as your friends (here on kitelife); and the dots are everyone else. Yep, I just friended a couple of folks and watched their markers change to "F"s.

Hey Pete, You sure nailed that one on the head, and now I see that you are my friend. Well thank you sir ! And I likewise see that your location, is pinpointed with an "F".

Now, I just wish this map was a little friendlier. My regular Google maps, as I would normally call up on my computer, doesn't react quit as eratic, as this one. I haven't quite figured out what the difference is, but something is different............but still, this is a really neat option, that John has added, and I can't wait to see it eventually, fill in, all over the place............

Thanks again, my friend..............nick :wacko:

I think it resizes to show all desired markers. If you click on "Show Friends" it resizes/zooms to just big enough to cover where your Friends (and you) are located. If you then click "Show All" it zooms out to show the whole map or maybe just all the markers. (?) When there were just one or two (on a different Google Map with overlay) it really jumped around as you switched. Once there were markers in more places it "calmed" down.

This ability to focus on Friends may require some adjustment of our Friends lists. If you want it to be useful, and show people you actually fly with or meet up with, we may find ourselves adjusting our Friends lists. Frankly, I would be happy to be friends with everyone on the site, but then there would be no point in marking Friends differently on the map. It might also be useful if we relocate our markers when we travel (depends on how easy that is to do).

Maybe each member could have a Home marker and a Current Location marker. We could then adjust our Current Location marker when we travel (at least if we expect to have some flying/visiting time) and leave our Home marker at home. Maybe the Current Location marker could blink or be a different color when we travel.

LOL - then we would need an iPhone/smartphone app to track us around and update the Current Location marker. If the motion sensor detected motions typical of kite-flying it could change the color of the marker.

kid_devlish.gifA website administrator's job is never done. Introduce some neat new feature and immediately people want it amplified.kid_devlish.gif

Pete has it, right on.

Yep, it's definitely calmer now. The first few times I was there, there weren't but 3 or 4 of us, on the map. Very neat addition John. Are you going ot add this over on the Rev forum ? Oops............I just checked...........you are way ahead of me...............:wacko:

ps..........John, your marker looks like you and TK are living in a white van, out in the street. Are you in the horseshoe shaped building to the NW, that opens towards the south ?

Oh Noble WebMeister,

Is this a topic you would like to pin?

I second that motion !!!:D

I third that motion! ...If in-fact it needs one confused_1.gif

While we are on a roll here, I wonder if John could, "not only pin the topic", but could a link to the map page, be added at the top of the window, that opens, when you click on members.................. http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=members&section=view&module=list John, you are the web guru. What do you think ?

nick confused_1.gif

but it's already linked in this first post and in the navigation menu, I think folks will find it.

I understand that it is linked in this post, but this post keeps getting buried. I don't think that adding you location to the map, brings it back to the top of the "Active" list, does it. I suppose that pinning it will take care of that part? Don't know, I'm getting a little confused, but I will work it out.

Now, I must be missing something, though, because when I bring up Kitelife (I have it marked as a favorite), I have it coming up, on the "active topics" page. I suppose that going there all the time, that somehow, I have lost sight of what the Navigation Menu, is ?

ps.........ok, somebody has got to actually post something under the topic, for it to come back to the top of the active list, so now I'm loosing sight of what the pinning does.

just overlook me..........I suppose I'm having a senior moment !!! :P

Pinning keeps a topic near the top of the section it is in. Member_Map is now pinned to the top of the list of topics in the News_From_The_Webmaster section. If you go straight to the View_New_Content page, it will only be there when someone posts in the topic.

To get a "flash" every time someone adds a location to the Member Map, something would have to be written that added that to suitable pages (possibly any page that shows the Nav Bar). This is probably not trivial.

I understand that it is linked in this post, but this post keeps getting buried. I don't think that adding you location to the map, brings it back to the top of the "Active" list, does it. I suppose that pinning it will take care of that part? Don't know, I'm getting a little confused, but I will work it out.

Pete explained this quite well below. :P

Now, I must be missing something, though, because when I bring up Kitelife (I have it marked as a favorite), I have it coming up, on the "active topics" page. I suppose that going there all the time, that somehow, I have lost sight of what the Navigation Menu, is ?

post-1-0-23003300-1298420231_thumb.png

just overlook me..........I suppose I'm having a senior moment !!!

Nah, like we say on iQuad... Leave no one behind! :)

Pinning keeps a topic near the top of the section it is in. Member_Map is now pinned to the top of the list of topics in the News_From_The_Webmaster section. If you go straight to the View_New_Content page, it will only be there when someone posts in the topic.

Exactly.

But again, a link to the member map will also be featured on the new site.

To get a "flash" every time someone adds a location to the Member Map, something would have to be written that added that to suitable pages (possibly any page that shows the Nav Bar). This is probably not trivial.

That's putting it mildly... Not an easy thing to do (and redo every time we upgrade the forum software). :)

Hey John ! Like I said - a senior moment ! I do understand the pinning thing, and I was just momentarily confused. I suppose I was looking at the "Active Topics" section, like it was a topic, and I was wondering why the "pinned" topic kept creeping down. I told you, it was just a senior moment............I'm cool, you're cool, and heck, Pete's probably down in the wine cellar......................all is well on the right coast................:P

• Like 1

... and heck, Pete's probably down in the wine cellar.........

No, no, no; I'm back (hic). The problem is that I keep my kites in a little room hidden behind the wine cellar. Every time I go to visit my kites, I get distracted...kid_content.gif

(Note to self: gotta find a better place to keep the kites.)

but it's already linked in the navigation menu. :)

Somebody please tell me that the Navigation Menu, is NOT that dark blue bar across the top of the page, with the options KITELIFE MAGAZINE - FORUMS - MEMBERS - GALLERY - BLOGS...............etc, etc,..............................STORE .............and.................MEMBER MAP :)

Man, do I feel like an idiot. John, that's kinda what I was trying to ask you for yesterday, during my "senior moment", but that's much, much better. It stays there all the time, and you did it over at Rev also............ "You da MAN John, You da MAN !!"

Thanks...........from the dummy in NC :P

but it's already linked in the navigation menu. :)

Somebody please tell me that the Navigation Menu, is NOT that dark blue bar across the top of the page, with the options KITELIFE MAGAZINE - FORUMS - MEMBERS - GALLERY - BLOGS...............etc, etc,..............................STORE .............and.................MEMBER MAP :)

Man, do I feel like an idiot. John, that's kinda what I was trying to ask you for yesterday, during my "senior moment", but that's much, much better. It stays there all the time, and you did it over at Rev also............ "You da MAN John, You da MAN !!"

Thanks...........from the dummy in NC :P

Yeah...I agree...Nick's a dummy sometimes!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane