KiteLife Forum

The History of LSD

Guru4tru

I was flying today at the Acreage Community Park with my Standard Pro Fade Rev. that I got for Christmas, well a little after Christmas. All my kites are very personal to me and they all have names and each one has their own personality....That is all except for this STD. PRO FADE...I haven't been able to come up with a good name for her.

The first time I flew her I was amazed at her beautiful colors and when she would run across the sky in front of the sun, each panel would like light up separately as she made her pass. I went online looking for names that were close to "Sparkles" or "Dazzle" and I've been looking for about a month now without finding the right name to fit her.

But today, as she passed in front of the sun, I said, "She looks like a kaleidoscope!" and I started searching in my mind for names that went with that like, "Katy"..."Cathy"...etc. And then out of no where came the memory of a song that said, "...kaleidoscope eyes!" and then other parts came to mind, "...with her head in the sky...and she's gone!"

Yes!! Yes!! "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!!" Her name is ""LUCY!!""

That's the history behind her name!

Does anyone else have names for their kites and if so what are they?

Keep It Up!

Naturally!

Duane

• Like 1

Started reading this and know you had called her Lucy B4 I got to the name. :wub:

And I thought you were still in HI-BERRRRRR-NATION!! :)

(it's a little scary when I start becoming predictable?!?!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

It is a bit cold for me still, got some central heating in the cave at the moment.

Yes, I do like my rainbow kites. The Prismatex just takes that one over the top. It is a custom Sabre by Wayne Knott of Dreamweaver kites. I've never been able to capture the effect of the Prismatex in video, but it looks like a fiery opal in the sky.

~Rob.

Some people are Realists, and some are Nominalists. I have to say that I am in Reef Runner's camp on this one. I don't tend to name things, with the exception of computers, which NEED names to distinguish them on a network.

It's a small world. I went looking for my favorite quotation on the subject of Nominalists and Realists and found it alone on a page. The page belongs to a man who was my daughter's Linguistics professor and Advisor at U of Mich, John Lawler, a famous man in his own right.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/nominalists.html

It's very funny, and possibly true. It's a short snippet from one of my favorite books: Masque World by Alexei Panshin.

Philosophers....Realists.....Nominalists....where has this thread gone?!?! :wacko:

AND..."Give yourself a test: if someone called you a gigger or a fell-picker, and you knew it wasn't true, would you hit them or smile?"

I don't know what the hell "...a gigger or a fell-picker,.." even is?!?! All I can say is "HU" (which according to Pete means I'm in trouble!)

===================

OK...ALL YOU> Philosophers, Realists, & Nominalists...tomorrow is a "BIG DAY" for me..I'm going to be doing "WATER SPORTS!"...with my Rev.

ANY ADVICE????

Keep It Up!

Duane

Philosophers....Realists.....Nominalists....where has this thread gone?!?! :wacko:

AND..."Give yourself a test: if someone called you a gigger or a fell-picker, and you knew it wasn't true, would you hit them or smile?"

I don't know what the hell "...a gigger or a fell-picker,.." even is?!?! All I can say is "HU" (which according to Pete means I'm in trouble!)

===================

OK...ALL YOU> Philosophers, Realists, & Nominalists...tomorrow is a "BIG DAY" for me..I'm going to be doing "WATER SPORTS!"...with my Rev.

ANY ADVICE????

Keep It Up!

Duane

You don't have to know what they mean; you can tell they were intended to be generic insults. If someone tries to insult you and you know they are full of BS, do you get angry or are you amused? That's how to tell if you are a Nominalist or a Realist. (Or at least how Alexei Panshin suggests that you check.)

(And the thread got here because someone asked what someone else named their kites. But I have to admit that the topic has drifted somewhat.)

(And have fun water-flying.)

Hey Pete,

Reading your stuff is almost as bad as reading my stuff!

You know what I think?!?!

I was banned from the AKA forum and I wound up over here on the "Dark Side"....and I figure you must of been banned from the Rev. forum, or they just got fed up with you...heehee, and you wound up over here on the "Dark Side" too!!

So, I think we should form a special club over here....

.........."Bad Boys of the Dark"!!...............

And since I came up with the idea...I'll be the president. And as president I have to inform you that your $50 annual fee is due...PayPal will be OK!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I was tickled reading the original post - I name all my kites, and my lovely white Zen was named Lucy, for the same reasons as you! =D

I also fly with Optimus Joe, an awesome looking blue/red/black 1.5 full sail - Violet, a gorgeous purple/white 1.5 Pro fade full sail - and Crowzilla, she of black and purple vented 1.5 tough-girlness.

Coming soon, too, is Monarch, a mid-vent being crafted even as we speak, and she told me her name even as she leapt off the colorizer.

My husband thinks I'm silly, 'cause I name -everything- but hey. I love my kites! :wacko:

Hi Crowsong,

Yes!! That is great!!

I'm not the only person out here with a "Kite Fetish"!! I Love My Kites!!

I had my wife read your post just to show her how normal I am!! heehee!

Anyone else out here have names for their kites?!?! :wacko:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Named:

Lime,

Black Rainbow mid-vent

Black Rainbow JB full-vent.

Two II's, I've only flown the Aqua, forgot the other color.

And about 30 duals picked up "unused" on eBay a few winters back when a lot of stock was being unloaded and prices were TGTBT.

IOW, I don't have the memory for names for all my children. I'm doing well to remember what the manufacturer calls them. :wacko:

But lovin' your names, Duane. "Elvira" (how many forum members are old enough?) and "Lucy". :dizzy::clap;

Some people are Realists, and some are Nominalists. I have to say that I am in Reef Runner's camp on this one. I don't tend to name things, with the exception of computers, which NEED names to distinguish them on a network.

It's a small world. I went looking for my favorite quotation on the subject of Nominalists and Realists and found it alone on a page. The page belongs to a man who was my daughter's Linguistics professor and Advisor at U of Mich, John Lawler, a famous man in his own right.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/nominalists.html

It's very funny, and possibly true. It's a short snippet from one of my favorite books: Masque World by Alexei Panshin.

Strange, I think I would have applied the terms the other way around. Does that make me a Realist or a Nominalist? :confused!:

In a real world issue of confusion: there are some who cannot understand why the first track on a hard drive (or the first memory location in RAM) is "zero" :wacko: . The answer is that "0000" or zero is the name of the location, not the position of the data. And, of course, the "name" is happily easily implemented in the electronic circuitry.

Yeah Howard...we are getting.......well. we are old!! heehee!!

When I fly a Rev. and when I close up shop, I have this count to "5" that I do...if I get to "5" then I know I didn't leave anything behind!! heehee!!

1) the kite

2) line set

3) 1 handle

4) the other handle

5) the kite stake

...........did I forget anything!! heeheeeee!

===========

Well, with my experience behind me...I would suggest that you name your kites after your kids and grand kids. That way you will be able to remember their names. Just be careful if you find that you are Larkshead-ing your line set to some kids fingers!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 year later...

For an even better discussion of names, see this conversation between the White Knight and Alice: (he says, just as though there hadn't been a 14-month hiatus)

'The name of the song is called "HADDOCKS’ EYES."’

’Oh, that’s the name of the song, is it?’ Alice said, trying to feel interested.

’No, you don’t understand,’ the Knight said, looking a little vexed. ’That’s what the name is CALLED. The name really IS “THE AGED AGED MAN."’

’Then I ought to have said “That’s what the SONG is called”?’ Alice corrected herself.

’No, you oughtn’t: that’s quite another thing! The SONG is called “WAYS AND MEANS”: but that’s only what it’s CALLED, you know!’

’Well, what IS the song, then?’ said Alice, who was by this time completely bewildered.

’I was coming to that,’ the Knight said. ’The song really IS "A-SITTING ON A GATE”: and the tune’s my own invention.’

Carroll, Lewis; Tenniel, John. The Complete, Illustrated Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass; Kindle Edition.

• Like 2