The History of LSD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Hedgewarden

KLS #403

• Kitelife Subscriber
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Some people are Realists, and some are Nominalists. I have to say that I am in Reef Runner's camp on this one. I don't tend to name things, with the exception of computers, which NEED names to distinguish them on a network.

It's a small world. I went looking for my favorite quotation on the subject of Nominalists and Realists and found it alone on a page. The page belongs to a man who was my daughter's Linguistics professor and Advisor at U of Mich, John Lawler, a famous man in his own right.

It's very funny, and possibly true. It's a short snippet from one of my favorite books: Masque World by Alexei Panshin.

Strange, I think I would have applied the terms the other way around. Does that make me a Realist or a Nominalist? :confused!:

In a real world issue of confusion: there are some who cannot understand why the first track on a hard drive (or the first memory location in RAM) is "zero" :wacko: . The answer is that "0000" or zero is the name of the location, not the position of the data. And, of course, the "name" is happily easily implemented in the electronic circuitry.
Spirit flies above
the world of cares, on wings of
sail and spar and hope.

#22 Guru4tru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Yeah Howard...we are getting.......well. we are old!! heehee!!

When I fly a Rev. and when I close up shop, I have this count to "5" that I do...if I get to "5" then I know I didn't leave anything behind!! heehee!!

1) the kite
2) line set
3) 1 handle
4) the other handle
5) the kite stake

...........did I forget anything!! heeheeeee!

Well, with my experience behind me...I would suggest that you name your kites after your kids and grand kids. That way you will be able to remember their names. Just be careful if you find that you are Larkshead-ing your line set to some kids fingers!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

#23 --Pete

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

For an even better discussion of names, see this conversation between the White Knight and Alice: (he says, just as though there hadn't been a 14-month hiatus)

'The name of the song is called "HADDOCKS’ EYES."’
’Oh, that’s the name of the song, is it?’ Alice said, trying to feel interested.
’No, you don’t understand,’ the Knight said, looking a little vexed. ’That’s what the name is CALLED. The name really IS “THE AGED AGED MAN."’
’Then I ought to have said “That’s what the SONG is called”?’ Alice corrected herself.
’No, you oughtn’t: that’s quite another thing! The SONG is called “WAYS AND MEANS”: but that’s only what it’s CALLED, you know!’
’Well, what IS the song, then?’ said Alice, who was by this time completely bewildered.
’I was coming to that,’ the Knight said. ’The song really IS "A-SITTING ON A GATE”: and the tune’s my own invention.’

Carroll, Lewis; Tenniel, John. The Complete, Illustrated Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass; Kindle Edition.
#833, the one, the only. (LIFETIME!)

e-Cigs - a new way to deal with nicotine addiction. (At least I can get away from all the c**p in the smokey ones. Smoke-free since Sept 2011.)

My main web pages
New house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In