KiteLife Forum

Mini Mock in Cross Colors

Guru4tru

Hey Jeepster!!

Great Kite!! How long did it take you to made that? It's "almost" as beautiful as my Sundancer!! heehee!!

Oh yeah...how big is it?

Keep It Up!

Duane

It's a Mimi-Mock kite ... there's a good thread about it over on another forum. Don Mock designed the kite as a class project. He was kind enough to publish the plans. It's a 20 sq feet (5 foot wide by 4 foot long) flow form.

I was given a box of scrap ripstop and this turned out to be a perfect application. I sized the colors based on how much red and yellow was in the box ... now there's none!!! I plan on building a much larger kite (maybe in the 100 sq ft range) in a warm fade cross color pattern later this summer. This was a trial run to work out the process ... nothing freezes the brain more than lots of expensive fabric spread about. It's not really that difficult, just lots of planning, cutting, sorting and keeping track of what goes where. Time? Probably three or four hours to cut out the templates (16), several hours laying out the fabric and cutting it, about eight hours of sewing. I used flat fell seams between the colors ... just because I wanted to learn how to do them!!!

It was finished yesterday, so it had to fly today ... even if it was a terrible day for photos.

Thanks for noticing,

Tom

Hi Jeepster, :)

Thanks for the information...I put the location in my "favorities"! Hey...ya never know how bad the summer might be!! heehee!!

I am surprised that it only took you that long to make it. I'd have to first learn how to sew...figure about a month on that alone before I'd go cutting anything up!

My Sundancer (SKYFORM60) is a 60 sq. ft. (as it says)...100 foot is a lot of kite, but that would be Great!!

Good luck with it and make sure to show us how it goes!!

Thanks,

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

This my eighth foil kite, so the steep part of the learning curve is almost over. The sky was beautiful today, so I've got to look a a couple more pictures.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Jeepster!! That really looks great!! I didn't know you were an old hand at this...ever sell any?

Looking at the seams and the reinforcements (as best as I can see them)...you really know what you are doing!! I'm truly impressed!!

Now for the 100 Sq. Footer!! heehee!! That color pattern is great, sort of a sideways Sundancer, are you going on the same color pattern with the 100?

(I'm not going to ask, because I'm not the least bit ready for the answer, but I wonder how you ever get that sewing machine down inside those foils?!?!) :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey Jeepster!! That really looks great!! I didn't know you were an old hand at this...ever sell any?

Looking at the seams and the reinforcements (as best as I can see them)...you really know what you are doing!! I'm truly impressed!!

Now for the 100 Sq. Footer!! heehee!! That color pattern is great, sort of a sideways Sundancer, are you going on the same color pattern with the 100?

(I'm not going to ask, because I'm not the least bit ready for the answer, but I wonder how you ever get that sewing machine down inside those foils?!?!) :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

There are way too many hours of time involved with making kites to even think about selling them ... probably back to $0.50 an hour like when we were kids.

The warm fade is my favorite color combo for foils ... that's why I liked your kite so much. I'm thinking about using Tony Killip's approach with a thin black stripe between each of the colors on the larger kite. Go look up his kites at Ourkitesfly.com if you want to see a beautiful kite.

I have a small grand son and a little bitty sewing machine for the inside seams. Actually, the kite is a progressive assembly with each cell being sewn from one side of the kite to the other ... the final cell is completed via a "burrito roll." The kite is rolled up tight with the panels for the last cell wrapped backwards around the rolled up fabric. The seam is sewn and then the roll is pulled out the front of the final cell ... effectively turning it right-side out.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Well, That does it!! heehee!! Your explaination about how to sew the kite...closed the deal for me!! (and at $.50 an hour)......

I"M NOT GOING THERE!! heehee!!

=

I certainly admire the work you are doing...really great...and the feeling of putting your own work in the air has gotta be quite a rewarding experience....but if I decide to get another foil....I'll give my custon order to Gomberg again!! heehee!! (That's unless you drop your price of $.50 an hour a bit!! heehee!!)

That black strip will REALLY set the colors off!! Go for it, for sure!! (But, man....that's a hell-of-a-lot more work....but, yeah...go for it anyway....I'm not doing it, you are!! heehee!!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Today was an extremely beautiful day in the neighborhood ... 45 degree temps with lots of sunshine. The family went kite flying in the afternoon ... lots of SLKs 'cuz that's all the littlest kids can fly right now, our one dual line that was a gift to my grandson, and my stack of 5' Rev-like kites. Fun was had by all!!!!

This picture was captured by my son on his smart phone ... the new smart phones are better than the dedicated cameras of a few years ago ... geez.

Cheers,

Tom

post-3460-0-15748300-1298166010_thumb.jp