KiteLife Forum

Kite workshops

John Barresi

Just curious to hear about what folks are using in the kite making workshops at home... ?

- Sewing machine(s)

- Cutting table(s)

- Dedicated room

What kind of kites have you made so far, and what's coming up? :)

I'll lead off first.

Started a couple years ago with a 1970s Kenmore that is now set up principally to do binding. I steal my wife's Brother embroidery machine to duplicate the size of the 3-step zig-zag stitch on Rev-like kites ... it has an add-on walking foot. My principle machine is a 1975 Pfaff 1222 machine that was recently refurbished. The Pfaff has a true walking foot that really helps keep the ripstop aligned for sewing the big kites.

I'm still hot cutting everything, so the cutting table is the glass top from a coffee table. It goes on top of the sewing table during hot cutting. The sewing table is a saw horse and framework supported 20 foot by 4 foot melamine topped table. There's a 4 foot by 1 foot indent right in the middle where the sewing machine and I are located. It makes it much easier to sew the larger foil kites.

One end of the basement is dedicated to building RC planes and kites.

Kites completed:

Rev-like kites (asked Ben for permission first)

1) Three four foot singles ... one is vented just for the hell of it.

2) A six stack of five footers

3) A progressive stack of 4, 5 and 6 footers

4) A full size mega-vent

Foils

1) Four Micro-Mocks (5 sq ft) ... was playing around with rib height on foils

2) Two Mini-Mocks (20 sq ft)

3) One WK100 (90 sq ft)

4) One Stealth (190 sq ft)

One Rok

On the to-do list:

1) A two stack of reduced size indoor Rev-likes

2) A cross color foil in the 80 ~ 100 foot size

3) A couple more Roks ... one or more will be with applique ... got to start sometime.

4) Maybe an FF4a ...

Cheers,

Tom

Just curious to hear about what folks are using in the kite making workshops at home... ?

- Sewing machine(s)

- Cutting table(s)

- Dedicated room

What kind of kites have you made so far, and what's coming up? :)

I'm just a beginner at making kites. I made my first kite (Hata) in a workshop in October, 2010. Since then I have finished a della porta and another hata. All of these have appliqued designs on them.

I use a Bernina 130 sewing machine with a applique foot for zig-zag and applique, a walking foot for straight seams, and a cording foot for fuzzy tails. My worktable is six feet long with a three foot mirror on one side for hot cutting and a three foot cutting mat for cutting with the rotary tool. Needless to say, I'm not building anything really big right now. Beside the sewing machine is a bookcase with kite magazines, kite books and a ring binder with future kite plans.

The immediate future builds are two special request appliqued hatas, a companion della porta to my first one, and a pan flute kite.

My kite making is on one side of my craft room and my scrapbooking supplies and table are on the other half.

kjm

• 4 months later...

Old... old thread but it did not get many replies so I thought I'd revive it with my own post...

Dedicated sewing room (live alone in a 5 bedroom house so why not). Currently have an old Morris machine set up for some straight stitching but I don't use it much and need to pack it up. Older White machine with it's own table and the newest addition is a Pfaff 1221 (1221 is a 1222 but not portable). I mainly use the Pfaff as I _love_ the walking foot and it's so very smooth.

I do have a couple of folding tables set up with thin Malamine sheets on top of them for hot cutting. I like using them as they are only about $6 each and hide away easily. Though, these days I rarely hot cut as I usually edge bind the material. I recall Gary Engvall saying years ago that he cold cuts and has never had an issue. If I was appliqueing something, I'd hot cut.

I've made several Rocs, several Rev type kites, a few deltas and 3 larger kites (WK240, WK100 and Stealth 190).

Next jump I want to make is applique. Nothing big... just some color change in the skins, stars, etc.

I find kite building very relaxing. At least the sewing part. I also live the engineering aspect of kite building. It can really be complicated. It also helps with the appreciation that other people put into their kites.