KiteLife Forum

Upgraded gallery

I'm not running any sort of high-end, super duper browser...

The Kitelife site should be working *just fine* on all 5 major (and FREE) browsers in the latest versions.

http://www.google.com/chrome

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

http://www.microsoft...ternet-explorer

http://www.apple.com/safari/download

http://www.opera.com/download

AOL users can EASILY download and use these in conjunction with their service, and many do for the reasons stated above.

Just to show you that "GOOGLE CHROME" isn't going to make any difference...I downloaded it!!

It "Worked"....everything at my end, as far as I can see, is PERFECT!!

If you need anymore help with things just contact me! heehee!! :big_bangin:

EDIT: AND WOW!! I don't have to go through all that stuff with AOL...waiting...signing in... waiting...password...waiting... favorites...hit Kitelife...waiting......!! Now without ever being online I click on Google Chrome...and there you are!! (Other people should know about this!! heehee!!)

Oh Yeah...I thank you all for the help!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Somebody tweaked something -- Problems are gone on this end!!! smile.gif Went to some random members galleries and saw every image I clicked on!!! Looking good!!! If I have any other concerns,(other than the bad weather), I'll give you a PM, John!!! Thanks!!!!smile.gif

Duane - I found Chrome to be faster than Firefox, IMHO !!!! Less time waiting (like your old AOL), and more time enjoying!!sign_kitelife.gif

Somebody tweaked something -- Problems are gone on this end!!! smile.gif Went to some random members galleries and saw every image I clicked on!!! Looking good!!! If I have any other concerns,(other than the bad weather), I'll give you a PM, John!!! Thanks!!!!smile.gif

Hi "SV",

They may have "tweaked" something also, but I just went back through AOL and the old "google" and things were still the same...bad!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Glad to hear Chrome and everything is in working order now, sorry to hear AOL is still behind the curve. :big_bangin:

Yeah...it's working great! Thanks for your help...& patience!

Pretty COOL...I come to Kitelife to learn how to fly kites and I get free courses on computers and......."LIFE!" heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

--Pete : Are you still having issues with the gallery??kid_brooding.gif Or are they "normal" now?? Still having issues with many images!!kid_brooding.gif I'm using a Windows based system and Google Chrome as the browser!!

I ran through several albums (Safari browser on Mac OSX 10.6) that didn't work properly before, and saw no little"blue boxes with question marks" like I saw before. Either something has been fixed, or there was something gone screwy with the Kitelife servers the other day.

I DO think that G4T's previous problems may be related to an older browser supplied by AOL. Not much KL can do about that.

=====

G4T,

I noticed you said that using another (modern) browser seemed to fix the problem. You may be able to have it both ways. Do your email and favorites with the AOL browser, and do your general internet browsing with Chrome (or any other modern browser).

I do think that it would help you to understand what is happening if you understood the way things are arranged on your computer and how it connects to the Internet. I would be happy to discuss this with you, either via email, PMs (Private Messages via the Kitelife system) or in a dedicated Topic in the "Everything Else/Off Topic" area of the Kitelife forum. Maybe something like: "The Way Things Work". (Actually, it should have a more descriptive name like "How your computer connects to the Internet" and perhaps should be a "sticky" topic or have a section of its own called "Computer Help" under "Everything Else".)

On another forum (Scottish genealogy) that I frequent, there is actually a forum section dedicated to understanding how computers work and connect to the Internet. It really is nothing to do with the main subject of the forum, but members find it useful, and there are a few people there who know a lot (more than me - I've only been playing with this since the late 1970s) about computers and the Internet. I expect there are a few like that here as well; if I had to guess, Jeff Burka is one.

I think that might be up to JohnB. JB, do you think this sort of thing would be of interest to Kitelife members in general, or should we take this off-forum? I would certainly be willing to keep an eye on the Topic and offer what help I can.

• Like 1

Just to show you that "GOOGLE CHROME" isn't going to make any difference...I downloaded it!!

It "Worked"....everything at my end, as far as I can see, is PERFECT!!

If you need anymore help with things just contact me! heehee!! :big_bangin:

EDIT: AND WOW!! I don't have to go through all that stuff with AOL...waiting...signing in... waiting...password...waiting... favorites...hit Kitelife...waiting......!! Now without ever being online I click on Google Chrome...and there you are!! (Other people should know about this!! heehee!!)

Oh Yeah...I thank you all for the help!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Just so you understand: right now, as long as your computer is turned on and it is plugged into your cable box, YOU ARE ONLINE all the time.

This is unlike your old dial-up system where you had to run a program - supplied by AOL - that turned on your modem, dialed an AOL phone number, signed you in, and THEN connected you to the Internet. (And you had to sign off when you were done, so as not to tie up the phone line all the time.)

Since you are always online now, you can visit any website just by typing its URL (internet address like " www.kitelife.com ") into the addressbox of any browser you have on your computer. (You have to start the browser by double-clicking on the desktop icon, or going to Start/Programs/{browsername} and clicking on it.)

It is OK to have several browsers (programs) installed on your computer like Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, the AOL browser, and probably others.

One of these will be set as your default browser, so if you click on a URL in an email or on another webpage, that default browser will automatically be started and display the website. Most browsers "want" to be your default browser. When you start them, if they are not already the default browser, they will ask you every time: "Do you want ME (whatever browser it is) to be your default browser?" There is a way to turn this off, but i would have to research it (and know what version of Windows you have) to tell you how to switch that off.

At some point during the installation of Chrome, you were probably asked "Do you want to make Chrome your default browser?" If you answered "Yes", it is now your default browser. If you answered "No" then the AOL browser is still your default browser.

One last thing: since you now have a broadband (fast) connection to the internet, you do not have to (and should not) connect through the AOL phone line. You are probably paying AOL about $30/month for the right to connect through the (slow) modem connection. I think you could still use the AOL portal if you wanted (like I said in another post, if you want to keep using the AOL email and so forth), but you don't have to pay that $30/month anymore since you got connected through Comcast.

Before you cancel your AOL dial-up, you might want to export your AOL addressbook of email addresses, and save any important emails you have stored on AOL to your own computer. If you want to do this, I just looked up a way to do it and can give you a hand with it.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

You really seem to know all about this computer stuff and are really a great help. I have had some discussions will Reef Runner, where he would try to help me with computer things, and I would drive him totally up the wall sometimes because I wouldn't want to hear it and I may have the same effect on you. heehee!

As long as it works, like it is now, I don't want to hear anything about computers...I hate computers and all the things that go with them...it's a language I don't want to learn or ever think or read about again. Now your idea about have a "computer help topic" sounds like a great thing and may be of a great help to others....but I will avoid that section like the plague!! heehee!

You can imaging how difficult it was for me when everything I did at work was switched over from ink graphs, pulleys and springs to electronic sensors, computers and disks. I went from an engineer tech. to an electronic tech. and hated every minute of it. And I didn't work in an office I worked in the Everglades, mostly...with gators, snakes, spiders, bees, rain, wind...and I'm trying to work on a damn laptop...and I can't hear the rattle snakes. heehee!

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but when I turn the key on and when my truck moves forward, I'm happy...and that's all I want to know! heehee!

And besides that, there are only 2 places I go on the computer...Kitelife and Mail...and I now pick up my mail at the "google Chrome" thing...so I'm covered.

But, thanks again for the offer!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane - You should be on the Rev forum too!!!!kid_devlish.gif

No...the AKA doesn't want me and the Rev. site doesn't need me...I'm right where I should be right now. I'm a beginner and will always have a beginner's mind, so I'm most comfortable here where all kinds of kites and all kinds of flying skills are welcomed equally.

Keep It Up!

Duane