KiteLife Forum

Upgraded gallery

Hi John,

I'm unable to post any pictures at the top of the forum or in my gallery.

When I click on "Options" the drop down list conflicts with the "Widget" book thing and the "Add Image" doesn't come up.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hmm, some of Duane's pictures are not displaying for me. One example, the Elvira poster.

That is a shame. Elvira combined over the wall sexiness with over the wall campiness - the perfect host for late night TV horror flick returns. :)

You young'ns probably never had the chance to experience.

Screen shots help too, if you're able. :)

Can't seem to copy it, but I "sign in" click on "Guru4tru" click on "Settings" then click on "Gallery" then click on "Options" and the list only goes down to the first heading of "Edit" because the Widget is in the way.....and in the forum there aren't any pictures anymore..

EDIT: I was able to copy it in an e-mail that I sent you.

Keep It Up!

Duane

John: I clicked on gallery in the header, clicked on members gallery, clicked on Duane's album, see a photostrip, click on an image and only get a title, next, previous buttons, no image! Happens on other galleries, too! Some show the gallery, but won't display individual images, same situation, title, next, previous buttons!!! There are some pics that display fine, but as you go along things start to fail!! The Elvira poster is a common problem!!

Sorry, I'm not computer savvy enough to describe it better!!

I'm getting some similar issues. Maybe 5% of images just show small blue square with "?" - indicator that image is not available.

This suggests to me that maybe the code that constructs the HTML may be failing to give the correct image location under some conditions. I haven't seen any pattern to the missing images yet.

• Like 1

John: I clicked on gallery in the header, clicked on members gallery, clicked on Duane's album, see a photostrip, click on an image and only get a title, next, previous buttons, no image! Happens on other galleries, too! Some show the gallery, but won't display individual images, same situation, title, next, previous buttons!!! There are some pics that display fine, but as you go along things start to fail!! The Elvira poster is a common problem!!

Elvira says that her hands are tied and she had nothing to do with it!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Sorry for the delay on this, been in L.A. all weekend, just getting caught up now.

I haven't been able to recreate this problem at all, every image is coming up for me...

Can someone with the ability post:

1. Link to one of the pages with this problem.

2. A screenshot of the page with the missing image.

Without direct reference, and without being able to recreate the issue, there's no way for tech support to know where they should look.

Wanna fix it, just need the tools. :)

I'm getting some similar issues. Maybe 5% of images just show small blue square with "?" - indicator that image is not available.

This suggests to me that maybe the code that constructs the HTML may be failing to give the correct image location under some conditions. I haven't seen any pattern to the missing images yet.

Pete - you're a little more computer savvy than I am!! Can you help John out on this???kid_cussing.gif

By the way John - I was watching you on the feed from the beach!!!! Looked like an AWESOME TIME!!!w00t.gif

Hey try this John,

Click on this http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=gallery and then just to the right of my beautiful robin picture is my name (Guru4tru) and then to the right of that is "OPTIONS"...if you click on "OPTIONS" then you should see that the drop down doesn't go far enough for me to add a picture.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey try this John,

Click on this http://kitelife.com/...rcp&tab=gallery and then just to the right of my beautiful robin picture is my name (Guru4tru) and then to the right of that is "OPTIONS"...if you click on "OPTIONS" then you should see that the drop down doesn't go far enough for me to add a picture.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Took a look Duane, here's what I saw...

post-1-0-97430100-1300233312_thumb.png

That "options" tab has two choices, the bottom one is to upload a new image to that album.

==

Also, actually clicking into that same album gives me this...

post-1-0-91070500-1300233405_thumb.png

Note the upload button, highlighted green, also for adding new images to that album.

==

I completely admit I might be missing something here, but it all seems functional to me... ?

Hi John,

I don't get what you get. You aren't missing anything...I am...heehee!

I only get the "EDIT" on my list, the item under that is missing...but when I click just below "EDIT" I do come up with the "UPLOAD" place. So even though it is not present...I can function with it.

But now there is something else that happens. When I "UPLOAD" a picture it removes the only picture available to me at the top of the forum and I have to scroll to about center to see it. Only one picture will display at the top of the fourm and it has to be scrolled to...without scrolling the area is just blank.

Can you see my picture of a "Perfect Match?" and is there more then one picture on display in that long block, on your end?

EDIT: Click on this http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php? and see if you get any more then my one picture up top at the fourm in the "Recent Gallery Images" section.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Too strange, looks alright there as well...

post-1-0-56388500-1300250416_thumb.png

What browser are you using, and do you know if it's the latest version?

Shouldn't be an issue anyway, but I might as well ask.

Way to go John....I now get the full drop down in the gallery "Options" "Upload" drop down area.

========

But as for the pictures at the top of the form.....I don't get what you get there. I get the one picture, of me presently, in the center of the scrolling area and when I added the picture it knocked out the one picture that was there before and replaced it.

As for browser.....I don't know.....I use AOL, is AOL a browser?!?! (I know it must be difficult dealing with such computer retards!! heehee!!) I know it updates something on a regularly, so I assume it's the latest version.

Keep It Up!

Duane

G4T,

If you have a Windows computer: while looking at a web page (Like Kitelife.com) click on "Help" in the menu and then on "About (your browsername)". A window will pop up showing the name and version of your browser.

If you have a Mac: while looking at a web page, click on the menu item (this is actually the browser name) just to the right of the black Apple icon in the menu bar; then click on About (browsername). A window will pop up with the version number of your browser.

In either case, just close the pop-up window when you have copied down the information.

AOL started out as a dial-up Internet Service Provider (ISP) and still offers dial-up service to areas that do not have broadband internet access (cable, DSP and the like). It is also a Portal for those who got used to it as a dial-up ISP, but have switched to broadband access.

It is not a browser name as far as I know.

They may very well have a browser which has been modified to suit their customers. It is almost certain to actually be one of the common browsers like FireFox or Internet Explorer with AOL modifications.

• Like 1

I believe AOL has it's on browser, because there is a heading "AOL Browser Settings".

EDIT: If it's any help...we were on "dial-up" because they don't have "whatever the other thing is call" where I live. Then we got a cable for the TV and hooked the computer up to it...I think it's called "Comcast". But, we don't access windows through "Concast", we still use the AOL stuff.

Keep It Up!

Duane

G4T,

If you have your computer connected to the Internet via Comcast, then you do have BROADBAND. Good thing to have, especially if you like to upload pictures to places like Kitelife and go to websites with a lot of graphics. Much faster than dialup.

You are used to seeing the main page at AOL as the first thing you see when going on the internet - maybe even when you first turn on your computer. When you first installed AOL, it put some programs on your computer and made some changes to make using AOL very easy. People like AOL because it saves them a lot of trouble learning how to manage their computers for themselves. I am pretty sure the AOL service includes things like anti-virus software and many other things you would need to take responsibility for if you switched to something else.

You may also use the AOL email system (your email address may be something like duanex@aol.com). You may also keep your addressbook of email addresses on the AOL system, as well as your list of favorite Internet bookmarks (generally called Favorites or Bookmarks).

I'm assuming you have Windows (the operating system from Microsoft that makes most home computers work). If so, you almost certainly have a program somewhere on your computer called Internet Explorer. Now that you have a broadband connection through Comcast, you could use Internet Explorer to access the Internet, if you wanted to. If you have all your addresses, Favorites, email and the like at AOL, it may be more work (moving things, getting used to doing things a different way) than you care to do, in order to quit using AOL and use other methods of accessing the internet.

You may or may not know that you also have an email address at Comcast (all comcast customers get one as part of the package), which (if you've never changed it or used it) probably looks something like xx123456FL@comcast.net. In fact, you can have up to six more email addresses as part of the package, so you could have one for fun, one for business and, more for other family members. (I use all seven of my available Comcast email addresses for different purposes. I also have hotmail, G-mail and Yahoo-mail addresses.)

BTW, "Guru4Tru" and "Kite-Arian" are fairly unlikely email names for anyone else to choose, so you probably could get 'guru4tru@comcast.net" and "kite-arian@comcast.net" as email addresses if you wanted to. It would mean having to learn to use a different mail system, and letting all your contacts (and websites where you are registered) know about your new email address.

Like I say, switching over would take some work, and be a cause for some frustration during the changeover. It's not trivial to do this. I think that if you wanted to make the change, the best thing to do would be to arrange some help from a local friend who knows a lot about computers. They could come over and help you through the process and come back occasionally to get you past any difficulties. (Once you got the main changes done, you could also probably ask a question in the Everything Else/Off-Topic section of Kitelife if you got stuck on something that could be answered by one of us.)

Finally, switching is only an option. Continuing with AOL as your Portal is perfectly reasonable. You have a lot of time invested in getting used to it, so there are good reasons to continue. I just wanted to make sure you understood that you HAVE options.

• Like 1

--Pete : Are you still having issues with the gallery??kid_brooding.gif Or are they "normal" now?? Still having issues with many images!!kid_brooding.gif I'm using a Windows based system and Google Chrome as the browser!!

Hi "SV",

I remember that I recently got a pop-up and "they" tried to install Google Chrome as an update and I declined...so I probably have whatever came before the "Chrome".

Hi Pete,

Thanks for taking the time and effort of going through that for me and I might consider changing over at some time. But, I don't think, from Kitelife's perspective, that that would be a good answer, because there could be a lot of others out here that are facing the same situation, but haven't mentioned it because they don't normally post comments or pictures and missing the pictures at the top of the forum may not be something they are aware of. I think, if possible, the Kitelife Website should pick up everyone they can without the people having to adjust to the site.

But then, if I'm the only one using the system I have or am the only one having problems...then that's a different story...but, I wouldn't think that would be the case?!?!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Folks on the AOL resident browser would certainly be in the minority, and they get to force-feed you through their preferred networks / advertising.

But just as a functional reference, if AOL suggested you update with Google Chrome, it's a good sign that their old browser is in need of an update.

When companies like them repackage a browser for the users, it will almost always end up a step behind pretty quickly.

=

My guess, you could do the AOL update to Chrome, not notice much of a functional difference, and everything would work on Kitelife.

From a Kitelife perspective, we can only do so much... It's neither practical or possible to back-tech everything for folks on super old stuff.

And I can assure you, such old browsers aren't just having problems with Kitelife, it'd be showing up on a lot of sites.

Not trying to harangue or make this difficult, I appreciate your frustration, but I'm just shooting straight. :big_bangin: