KiteLife Forum

Clip On Kite Stake

Nick - any ideas on what to use to break the seal of whatever is holding my old stake together? :ani_idea: Dice is made of an acrylic and stake is of regular steel! I'm pretty sure I can replace it with stainless rod I have on hand, but I gotta take it apart SAFELY, first!!

Try putting the end of the spike in a vise and using a propane torch to heat the spike fairly close to the knob (maybe an inch or two from the knob). Angle the flame away from the knob to avoid heating by the tip of the flame. Remember that the hottest part of a torch flame is the very tip of the blue cone; other parts of the flame are much cooler including the interior of the cone and the yellow flame outside the cone. (The hand holding the knob will tell you if any part of the flame is washing over the knob - quickly!)

Pull and twist on the knob while heating and be prepared to swish the knob in a bucket of cold water as soon as it comes off. You may hear the "sizzle" of the glue just before it weakens if the torch isn't too loud.

The object is to denature the glue (epoxy or cyano-acrylate/superglue) before the knob has time to heat up, so you want to apply heat fast and then get the knob off quickly before heat has time to penetrate past the glue into the knob.

I watched Jon Trennepohl remove (external, metal) ferrules from arrow shafts (he was heating the ferrule while pulling with needle-nosed pliers) using this technique a long time ago, and it has served me well ever since. If one part is metal, you can probably use this technique for most glue separations.

Oh, and don't burn yourself on the spike by trying to remove it from the vise before it has time to cool. (Or use pliers and the cold water.)

• Like 2

Yep, yep, yep ! That's for sure, Pete. It's just like removing the head from a golf club. A little torch (heat) to the shaft, the heat runs up the shaft to the glue, loosens it, and if you are applying some rotational pressure to the club head, eventually, very shortly, it will pop loose and come off in your hand.

Of course, that is assuming that the dice on Wayne's shaft, is glued. If not, the vice and a little elbow power, might just do the trick. I've never used glue, of any kind, on any of my kite stakes. I just drill the hole in the golf ball, slightly (1/32") smaller than the rod, and then I just drive the ball onto the shaft with a rubber mallet. Once the ball is on the shaft, I then sharpen the other end on a grinding wheel. Never had one to come off, or twist on the shaft, either............ :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Looks like my last post didn't get on here!! Thanks for all the ideas and if push comes to shove, may try some of them!! Nick sent me an email with some detailed instructions, but some warnings too! Since the stake is venerable (20 years old), unless something drastic happens, I'll leave it be for now!! But like I said, THANKS!!

I also had trouble posting:

For removing s friction-fit object, use the inertia method:

Drill (or find) a hole just a bit bigger than the stake. It can be a hole in a block of metal or hard wood, or a piece of pipe just a bit bigger on the ID than the stake. Fix the hole (actually the object the hole is in) firmly. Put the block in a vise, set the end of the pipe on a hard surface.

Now, slide the stake through the hole briskly. You may need to pad the hole if the knob is fragile or scratchable; use a plastic washer or maybe a leather washer if it is very fragile. Keep "hammering" the knob against the hole-object and the stake will gradually creep out of its socket.

Note well, there is a third possibility: the knob may be threaded onto the stake. If so, you had better try unscrewing it FIRST. Remember righty-tighty; lefty-loosey. Either of the two previous methods will go seriously wrong if tried on a threaded connection, although sometimes a bit of heat is needed to free up a threaded connection which has Loc-tite (or similar thread locking goop) in it.

• 2 months later...
Looks like my last post didn't get on here!! Thanks for all the ideas and if push comes to shove, may try some of them!! Nick sent me an email with some detailed instructions, but some warnings too! Since the stake is venerable (20 years old), unless something drastic happens, I'll leave it be for now!! But like I said, THANKS!!

Let it rust. It's character.

I'm a big fan of baggy jeans (yeah-yeah), especially JNCOs (I have about 16 pair) and they have HUGE back pockets...

So, I used to put Walt's long stake marble-down in my right back pocket, but one day I had shallow back pockets...

I'm flying in South Padre and go for an axel on my Rev, big power back and release with the right hand...

Yep, spiked my forearm, good 1/2" penetration - not enough to maim, but it sure scared the bajeezus out of me.

Anyway, these days I use Walt's clip-on sheath, right on my back center belt loop. :)

Gotta be in center back because I'm a total flailer when I fly, same when I talk - watch any nearby drinks. lol

• Like 2

I wear DT firehose utility pants (google that) when flying (shorts versions in the summer) and the have a perfect stake loop sewn on either hip. I used to have one of these cool marble stakes, but gave it to a new flier. The stake fit perfectly in the hip loops, just like a holster. Yes, pants can be considered kite gear, too. I should get around to getting a couple more of these marble stakes, I've been using an old screwdriver for too long...

• Like 2

I wear DT firehose utility pants (google that) when flying (shorts versions in the summer) and the have a perfect stake loop sewn on either hip. I used to have one of these cool marble stakes, but gave it to a new flier. The stake fit perfectly in the hip loops, just like a holster. Yes, pants can be considered kite gear, too. I should get around to getting a couple more of these marble stakes, I've been using an old screwdriver for too long...

+1 on Duluth Trading Co fire hose pants. I'm a big fan of DT Co. Top quality stuff that takes a beating.

Until that rust gets on your hands, and then on that brand new $350 sail, then is called an, "Oh $%!# moment" :cat_shy:

There is that issue. Powder coating? How about this stuff: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7651232_0361152250 ? I have it on my jeep bumper and it's awesome. May need occasional reapplication, but could work.

If you're flying in sand, this shouldn't be an issue. Every time I jab my old screwdriver into the sand, the rust gets sanded off...

Take a look at the alternative to the Walt stake... should I be embarrassed ? :blue_sad:

post-786-0-22827700-1361638995_thumb.jpg

• Like 1