KiteLife Forum

anything different from 2005 -2011

fearme

Alright here's another question i have is there any difference from a older year model rev from a 2011.?

This would be a good question to ask the Rev forum!! There are people who know the history there better than I! Easy to sign up and participate!! Only thing I know is if you go back far enough, there is a mylar panel in the sail design! Some like it, some don't!!! kid_devlish.gif I also believe the "B" series is just a few years old, but not sure when!!confused_1.gif

Hi, that's a pretty broad question but I'm happy to answer if you can provide a little more info...

The trick is, there are more than a few models of Revolution (even in 2005 - although there are more now).

http://www.revkites.com/main/products

Do you know what MODEL of Rev you have now? Perhaps a photo would suffice?

Cheers, looking forward to your reply.:sly:

Should be identical to the SLE of today, except that the current model also includes an extra 1/4" diameter leading edge, as well as the extra-beefy SLE spars.

For comparisons between the models, I think this is the perfect place to start...

http://www.revkites.com/forum/forum/27-buying-your-first-rev/

Another difference is that the 2008 Rev 1.5 SLE is made of Ripstop Polyester. They changed this to Ripstop Nylon in 2010 and started adding in the extra 1/4" leading edge. The main reason for this change was the huge increase in cost for Ripstop Poly material (also known as Icarex). The Ripstop Polyester or Icarex is usually lighter weight than the Nylon but just as strong. Also, Ripstop Poly is (usually) coated on both sides which repels water better, stretches less and flies through the air smoother - depending on who you talk to. :wacko: Ripstop Nylon is usually only coated on one side. The coating decreases porosity in the fabric and wear.

Most advanced pilots prefer Poly sails over Nylon (some are just the opposite). Icarex is a brand name of a company that produces Ripstop Polyester material. There are several other companies that also produce ripstop poly, most of them being equal in quality as the Icarex brand, but Icarex is most known by the kiting community which is why that name is thrown around so much, even to identify Ripstop Poly material that isn't "actually" Icarex brand.

If this is your first Rev, you would probably get much more use and knowledge of flying with a newer Rev that has both style leading edges than you would over the different sail materials. Both the Nylon and Poly versions fly pretty much the same, only an experienced pilot would really know the difference and be able to capitalize on it during flight.

As far as wear, the EXP has always been made with Ripstop Nylon, my very first Rev was an EXP and I it is still flyable today - and that was over 11 years ago. It has had a very rough life and has taught not only myself, but literally hundreds of other new pilots over the last 11 years - and it isn't dead yet. :) Obviously now that I have moved to the B-Series Revs, my ol' EXP doesn't get near the air time it did when it was new.

Another great answer wow im glad i found this forum thanks guys very much. Well i just bought the kite and waiting for it to ship here cost me about 200 can dollars for the 1.5 sle rev.. the guy said he had it about 3 years but he never opened it so im guessing it's a 2008 model. I will post some pictures and let u know how the first flight test lol, i can't wait..

Another great answer wow im glad i found this forum thanks guys very much. Well i just bought the kite and waiting for it to ship here cost me about 200 can dollars for the 1.5 sle rev.. the guy said he had it about 3 years but he never opened it so im guessing it's a 2008 model. I will post some pictures and let u know how the first flight test lol, i can't wait..

Hey "fearme"...that sounds great!! :wacko:

And Yeah! Send some pictures! If your beginning flights are as "interesting" as mine were, you might have some question...so, make sure to ask about anything that might be confusion! I started Rev. flying on my own and everything I learned I learned here at this site just by asking about things!

Keep It Up!

Duane

BTW, in spite of how spars go on many kinds of kites, the vertical spars go in BACK (AWAY from the side of the kite that faces you) on Revs. Counter-intuitive, but true. Many of us have done it wrong at first; you might as well get off to a good start.

EDIT: UNDERLINED CAPS are the edited portion. (Senior moment, I guess.)

BTW, in spite of how spars go on many kinds of kites, the vertical spars go in front (on the side of the kite that faces you) on Revs. Counter-intuitive, but true. Many of us have done it wrong at first; you might as well get off to a good start.

I'm sure this is a typo, as the vertical spars of a Rev most certainly go on the back, side furthest from you when you're flying, the side on which the logo appears reversed. :wacko:

It's a common mistake to put the sticks on the front, I know I did when I bought my first Rev in 1991.

BTW, in spite of how spars go on many kinds of kites, the vertical spars go in front (on the side of the kite that faces you) on Revs. Counter-intuitive, but true. Many of us have done it wrong at first; you might as well get off to a good start.

I'm sure this is a typo, as the vertical spars of a Rev most certainly go on the back, side furthest from you when you're flying, the side on which the logo appears reversed. :wacko:

It's a common mistake to put the sticks on the front, I know I did when I bought my first Rev in 1991.

Thanks John,

I thought maybe I **REALLY** missed something!! heehee!

(Pete's in the wine cellar again!! heehee!! Love ya Pete!! heehee!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

EDIT: Pete you haven't really been flying with the rods on the front side...right?!?! :confused!:

Ok is there any other pointers anyone can give me before my first test flight cause i don't know what im doing lolz... but comon sense enough both thumbs back will make it go up right.?lol

Yes!! But try to take off and get control of the kite maybe 5' off the ground, then land it on both points!! Keep doing that until you're able to get totally clean landings!! UP, STOP, DOWN!!! Then go another couple of feet higher and land again! Work your way up to the top, still being able to hold the kite steady and land cleanly!! Then try turning while you're higher off the ground!! If you think you're gonna crash, DON'T PULL!!!! GIVE TO THE KITE!! It will lose a lot of it's power and crash much more gently!! You pull, things can break!! You give, crashes are a lot less likely to cause damage!! Have you equalized your lines?? Having a line longer than the others can cause some very interesting stuff!! Take a few minutes to do this, attach handles, run out lines, put all four lines on a stake!!! Go back to the handles and see if they line up EXACTLY under tension!! Shorten up any long lines till they're all the same!!! Oh forgot - if the package comes unopened, watch the instructional video as much as possible, lots of good stuff to learn there as a beginner!!! Good luck and good flight!!!smile.gif

I've fixed the original. Not a typo - a real senior moment. I was thinking about the wrong way to do it and somehow typed it in that way.

And Duane - no, I haven't been flying them that way, because THEY JUST WON'T FLY WITH THE SPARS IN FRONT. They get all "balloony" and you can't control them.

Ok is there any other pointers anyone can give me before my first test flight cause i don't know what im doing lolz... but comon sense enough both thumbs back will make it go up right.?lol

Hi "fearme",

Check out John's "Line Management Video" (and the other Rev. videos he made too). The line management video will save you a lot of frustration. Learning about how to work with the lines, and making sure your lines are right, will take a little time and it isn't "flying fun time", but untangling lines is less fun and takes a lot more time! heehee!! Once you learn it...it is really easy and fast!

EDIT: Pete, your description of how the Rev. flys with the rods on the front...means you have been there...me too!! And I understand those "senior moments"...except they seem to be becoming more then moments in my life...they are becoming the norm!! heehee! Today I have "moments of sanity"...I think, but it's hard to remember!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I've fixed the original. Not a typo - a real senior moment. I was thinking about the wrong way to do it and somehow typed it in that way.

OK Pete, we're going to have to take the keys to the "wine cellar", if you keep this up !! :)

Come On Nick!

You know he would find a way in. I think, for Pete's best interest, we should just pay a visit to his wine cellar...we both have trucks...right!?!? I knew that "Member Map" would come in handy! heehee! :wacko:

Keep It Up!

Duane

You know he would find a way in.

Might be difficult (except for my legendary lock-picking skills) since the walls are either 12" thick reinforced concrete or 12" cinderblock with 3/4" rerod cemented into every other cavity column.

(Testing the Tapatalk forum app on my iPad. It's slow, but if you can see this, it works.)