KiteLife Forum

Tutorials

Wayne Dowler

Rock on Wayne, glad you're growing and most importantly, having fun! :kid_smartass:

Gotta give us "old folks" a goal to shoot for!!!! kid_devlish.gif Nothing wrong with trying something new!! smile.gif

And...Yeah John!! And as you get older you will have more time to do things and have fun, because every tooth in you mouth will not be yours...(I just use super glue once in awhile to keep everything looking good!) heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 4 weeks later...

Hey "SV",

What kind of indoor kite do you have and where do you fly it indoors, or are you outside no-winding it, like "windpoacher"?

"Slowing the Mind"...WOW...I'd be great at that then...my mind is really slow! ;) And imagine Baloo!! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

You cant get a much slower mind than mine, unless there is food invloved :)

Hey "SV",

What kind of indoor kite do you have and where do you fly it indoors, or are you outside no-winding it, like "windpoacher"?

"Slowing the Mind"...WOW...I'd be great at that then...my mind is really slow! ;) And imagine Baloo!! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

You cant get a much slower mind than mine, unless there is food invloved :)

Should I throw a steak in the bear cave to keep you away from the "B-2" drawing???smiley-devil.gif The weather over here has been so lousy that indoor flying has really been an enjoyable outlet for my Rev fever!! Not that I don't want some outdoor flying, need my sun and beach fix on a regular basis, but indoor is FUN!! w00t.gif

Must admit I am partial to a nce bit of Steak, and some of the best Ones I have ever had were while I was on Holliday in Florida. So if you chuck a decent One in it might just distract me for a while, just a reminder though, I eat like a Bear. A human sized Steak is only a couple of mouthfulls for me.

And SV, it sounds like you are having so much FUN indoors the last Rev you would want is a B2, have you seen how fast Watty has to run around to make his indoor Rev 2 behave itself. Now that is something I definatly want to watch rather than do!!

;)

FYI, I do have more tutorials on the way...

Already done for outdoor Rev, just have to upload: Line Weight/Length, and Changing Frames.

Lots more outdoor topics on the to do list as well, just need good wind and weather.

We've got a bunch more topics for indoor too, I'm just looking for a combination of free time and funds for the gym rental - stay tuned. :kid_cussing:

Line Weights and Lengths - http://www.learnkite...eights-lengths/

Professor Rev, no doubt........:kid_loved: .......Now that even made sense, to me :kid_cussing:

Honestly, I had no idea that I could go on about line weight and length for 10 full minutes. :kid_cussing:

That's one of the things I love about Revs, is the darned-near collegiate level of information currently (and increasingly) available.

• Like 1

Honestly, I had no idea that I could go on about line weight and length for 10 full minutes. :kid_cussing:

Yeah, I was meaning to say something about that, but you were just on a roll, in the zone, and doing so good, I really didn't have the heart to interrupt....:kid_cussing:

• Like 1

In some ways, the idea of weight and length should be really simple... But there are some subtle aspects, and the relation between the two is fairly expansive.

Honestly, how much was "ramble" and how much was solid in-hand information?

And, was there anything (subtle or otherwise) that you didn't know already?

In some ways, the idea of weight and length should be really simple... But there are some subtle aspects, and the relation between the two is fairly expansive.

Of course, the "ramble" / "10 minutes", was all in fun..................just giving you a little static :kid_cussing:

I though it was all solid, and especially so, for a newbie. I was just trying to explain about the different line weights, to someone the other day, and I explained that very point that you made, "that it is not always the strength, that we are looking for, when we go to a heavier line". I believe you made that point, somewhere along the way.

And seriously, the tutorial was great, as are they all. It's one of those "reference" type things, that yeah, you probably know most of it, if you've been messing with kites for a while, and you definitely know it, if you've really been into kites for a while, but likewise, it's refreshing to see it in writing, "so to speak", in the form of a tutorial, coming from someone that is, surely well known, and respected, in the kiting world.............again, thanks for all you do, and especially the turotials..........:kid_cussing:

I watched the frame change vid to see if there were things I might have missed!! Useful info about pulling the verts first!! I change LEs a little differently, I pull one end out first to leave a ferrule inside, then put my new LE end on the existing ferrule! Pushes out the same after that by adding pieces as needed! Pull off the old LE from the ferrule, cap, verts in, and go!! Same result, different process!!!kid_devlish.gif

I'd say that most of it was quite obvious and I'd not call it so much subtle however after 3 college degrees 2 of which in engineering I've taken my fair share of physics so I'm probably not the target audience to ask about that... That being said I did consider the video a good mix for new fliers and advanced ones alike. If I had to pick out some new subtle information it would have to do with the information not directly related to the physical world but to the kiting world. The fact that teams use 120' lines was good new info. I'd already started to discover the 150 pound slow down effect as that is the line set that was provided with the Rev I. The I does feel a lot nicer in lower winds when we tried it with 90# lines. But thats just one of those things that trying things teaches you. There is no way that the video can give you what trying things gives you but I did see the video as a good primer to get people interested enough to go and try things.

I've still yet to have a chance to try things with 50# lines and I'm quite interested to do so. Just haven't gone there yet.

Thanks again for the tutorials. Having the ability to download those would also be nice for addition to the archives.

Thanks

~Brett

I watched the frame change vid to see if there were things I might have missed!! Useful info about pulling the verts first!! I change LEs a little differently, I pull one end out first to leave a ferrule inside, then put my new LE end on the existing ferrule! Pushes out the same after that by adding pieces as needed! Pull off the old LE from the ferrule, cap, verts in, and go!! Same result, different process!!!kid_devlish.gif

Here, here ! I wondered what would be wrong with that. That's exactly how I change the LE, when I change frames, here in my shop (hobby/work shop). When I'm out in the field, I usually just hook up another kite, if conditions change drastically. Again, different strokes, for different folks. Oh, and whatever works for you !! :kid_cussing:

Here, here ! I wondered what would be wrong with that. That's exactly how I change the LE, when I change frames, here in my shop (hobby/work shop). When I'm out in the field, I usually just hook up another kite, if conditions change drastically. Again, different strokes, for different folks. Oh, and whatever works for you !! :kid_cussing:

I'll use this when the conditions aren't that radically different and I don't want to change sails or if I'm comparing frames or if I just want to play around with another setup!! (Review in mind on the "greenies") Not that much different from JB's way, just how I've done it over time!! I just like the positive feel when you can insert the new LE on the ferrule (FDD), for removal!! kid_devlish.gif

I've just added the iPod/iPhone versions of the 2 new tutorials, rendering the MOV files as we speak - hope to have them up tonight or in the morning.

Thanks guys, your comments really fuel my fire. :)

Thanks much sir. Looks like I was the first download and have those added to the repository... ;)

~Brett