KiteLife Forum

Green Rods

Guru4tru

I have 3 Revs. (and my wife has 1). I have a "STD--Mid-vent-&-Full vent" and I usually fly them with racing rods in each. When the wind increases I change kites instead of changing rods, except on the top end with the full vent I may have to go to a 3 or 4 wrap.

I recently changed them over to the "Green Racing Rods" because I heard a lot of good information about them and how strong they are. I sometimes teach people how to fly and then I changed from the racing rods over to 2 or 3 wraps, as I would rather have them break those then the racing rods. But, with the strength of the "Green" rods I can let them fly them without as much concern for breakage.

Because the wind here hasn't been so good lately I have only been able to check out the "Green" rods on light wind so far. I like them...they are light and have less bend and the movements are a lot sharper, but I've only flown them is light wind.

I thought I'd check out what others may have experienced with the "Green" rods compared to the regular racing rods...like as to how much stronger the wind can get before you'd change over to 3 wraps or a mid or full vent?

EDIT: Could it be said that the "Green" rods can cover anything a 2 or 3 wrap can cover?

Keep It Up!

Duane

I had similar findings as you when I first tried the Green Race Rods. They feel fine when there is not much pressure on the kite. I had different findings after taking them to the beach in some decent wind. I found that the rods will start bending, and they won't stop. As the wind gets stronger they seem to stretch even farther. I found that the kite feels "bouncy" and tends to absorb some of my inputs. It felt like any sharp or hard movements that I made lost their luster when the kite is framed in green.

As is, I am keeping these rods in my bag, but not for general use. I use them as backup rods for street kiting when the wind picks up. They perform great in light wind, and can handle the really large gusts, so they can come in handy as a fail-safe.

As for the strength of the rods, I have not had any break, but It's been a while since I have broken a rod in flight due to stress.

The Green Race Rods are closer in weight to the 3 wraps than they are to the 2 wraps. They are heavier than the Race Rods as well. So, I would say, no they are not as good in light wind as the regular race rods, or even 2 wrap rods, but they seem to be quite strong for their weight. I just do't care for the way it bends under pressure.

Thanks Watty,

That will give me some thoughts for reference as I check them out. Like I mentioned, the wind hasn't been so good for comparing them yet. I'll have to head off to the ocean, maybe tomorrow, and get some good wind time in with them.

EDIT: Just checked and we have an East wind at 12mph at the beach tomorrow...East is good, that's off the ocean here in Palm Beach.

And thanks Nick for the weights on the rods. I thought the Green guys were lighter then that.

======

I never stop learning around here...I could have never imagined there could be so much to kiting. I remember when I first heard of the American Kitefliers Association...I laughed and said, "What do they do, just stand there beside each other all day!"...heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I had similar findings as you when I first tried the Green Race Rods. They feel fine when there is not much pressure on the kite. I had different findings after taking them to the beach in some decent wind. I found that the rods will start bending, and they won't stop. As the wind gets stronger they seem to stretch even farther. I found that the kite feels "bouncy" and tends to absorb some of my inputs. It felt like any sharp or hard movements that I made lost their luster when the kite is framed in green.

As is, I am keeping these rods in my bag, but not for general use. I use them as backup rods for street kiting when the wind picks up. They perform great in light wind, and can handle the really large gusts, so they can come in handy as a fail-safe.

As for the strength of the rods, I have not had any break, but It's been a while since I have broken a rod in flight due to stress.

The Green Race Rods are closer in weight to the 3 wraps than they are to the 2 wraps. They are heavier than the Race Rods as well. So, I would say, no they are not as good in light wind as the regular race rods, or even 2 wrap rods, but they seem to be quite strong for their weight. I just do't care for the way it bends under pressure.

So glad its not just me. I have tried greens in all my kites. They are still looking for a permanent home. Think they maybe best in the standard sail on a day when 3wraps would be needed and there is the chance of the odd strong gust.

Well, my review on the "Greenies" may be a 3 or 4 part series. If the Weathermen in Florida only got paid for correct predictions...they'd all be out of work.

For anyone tuning in I want you to know I'm no expert!

"An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes, which can be made, in a very narrow field." Niels Bohr And I'm just learning those mistakes! heehee!

So, for the first 2 hours at the beach the wind was a steady 4.5 mph. (not the 12 mph predicted!?!?) After switching rods I came to an astounding conclusion: Put in the lightest rods you got. There is little to no flexing going on, so I was OK with the 2 wraps and the black racing rods...forget the "Greenies".

But, later the wind kept slowly picking up. I liked the black racing rods up to 6 mph and then from 6 to about 9.5 mph (which is as high as the wind got) I preferred the "Greenies" over anything.

I highlighted "preferred" because there is a gain and a loss between the black and green rods (at those wind speeds) that different people may have different preferences for...it's not quit that one is better then the other....their just different. The loss when flying the "Greenies" is the kite loses a bit of it's liveliness...the gain is in greater stability. For me the gain in stability out weighs the loss in liveliness. I like the greater stability, especially in hovers and slides. But others may prefer a little more life in the kite, especially if you dance with the kite like John does or if they are just used to flying that way.

I flew the 3 wraps also and they were behind both the black racing rods and the "Greenies". They were a combination of sluggishness and lost of liveliness...sort of broomstickish with respects to the racing rods. One thing that surprised me was that the actual difference between the rods was quit noticeable. If someone would have replaced the rods for me in a "blind test"...I would have had no difficulty in knowing which rods were which in flight.

So, for me the "Greenies" have the spot in my Standard Rev. from 6 to 9.5 mph wind...so far. I'll have to check things out in higher winds and also with the vented kites...that's if that wind ever comes and is not a hurricane. (Hurricane season starts in June...Time to order an "extra" vented Rev.!! heehee!)

One other thing...I think the "Greenies" are a lot prettier, but then you never see them in flight! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

BTW...I don't know their weight, but I figure there lighter then a 2 wrap :confused!: And if so, I know someone has probably already done this:

"Cut down some Zen rods to fit the 1.5 B-Series Rev."

And how did it work out?

Keep It Up!

Duane

BTW...I don't know their weight, but I figure there lighter then a 2 wrap confused_1.gif And if so, I know someone has probably already done this:

And how did it work out?

Keep It Up!

Duane

They make a full Zen frame for the 1.5!!! No need to cut anything down!!! kid_devlish.gif

BTW...I don't know their weight, but I figure there lighter then a 2 wrap confused_1.gif And if so, I know someone has probably already done this:

And how did it work out?

Keep It Up!

Duane

They make a full Zen frame for the 1.5!!! No need to cut anything down!!! kid_devlish.gif

I didn't know that!! But, then I really don't know much about anything!! heehee!

Do you know if it is any good or what winds the 1.5 can fly in with them? I can do about 4 mph at the low end now without lots of effort, if the wind is steady. How much could I gain from a set?

Keep It Up!

Duane

And how did it work out?

Keep It Up!

Duane

I didn't know that!! But, then I really don't know much about anything!! heehee!

Do you know if it is any good or what winds the 1.5 can fly in with them? I can do about 4 mph at the low end now without lots of effort, if the wind is steady. How much could I gain from a set?

Keep It Up!

Duane

I haven't flown the Zen rods, but I have in the Zen. I found them to be far too flexible, especially for a rev1 sized kite. Not sure about the weight though. Honestly, I didn't like them the times that I tried them, and that was all that mattered to me. Didn't have any reason to investigate farther. IMO, black race rods are where it's at.

Talked to Watty - he feels regular race rods do the trick for him!!! He didn't like their flex, just like the "greenies"!! kid_devlish.gif

Aye, a LOT of folks like the greenies, they are good rods...

I'm in the same boat as Watty however, as is the rest of the iQuad gang, we don't use 'em.

Talked to Watty - he feels regular race rods do the trick for him!!! He didn't like their flex, just like the "greenies"!! kid_devlish.gif

Aye, a LOT of folks like the greenies, they are good rods...

I'm in the same boat as Watty however, as is the rest of the iQuad gang, we don't use 'em.

Hi John,

Can you be more specific as to why the "greenies" are a "no go" with the IQUAD gang?

Keep It Up!

Duane

I flew with the "Greenies" in my full-vent today, for about 2 hours before an unexpected thunderstorm popped up and decided to take over the field. I should look behind myself more often, (things are presently being dried out)...heehee!

The wind was gusty running from about 9 up to 17 mph and I really like these "Greenies"! Even at 17 mph there was no fear stress wise and it was very stable flying. Of course the full-vent does smooth thing out a good bit on it's own. I need more flying time to be sure about things for me, but presently the "Greenies" are still in first place in my book!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane, buddy...

I've seen Florida thunderstorms close up. Sheeesh! Bang-bang on power poles all around me. Not like our polite thunderstorms on the left coast. (Kaboom somewhere miles away.)

Remember, a thunderhead can strike out a mile or more horizontally from the cloud. :big_beer:

But then as a Floridian, you already know that. :)

Any-hoo, take care pal.

Thanks for the green rod review. I've two sets of race rods + 1 spare, and I feel rich, and I think they will do me fine for now.

-H

Duane, buddy...

I've seen Florida thunderstorms close up. Sheeesh! Bang-bang on power poles all around me. Not like our polite thunderstorms on the left coast. (Kaboom somewhere miles away.)

Remember, a thunderhead can strike out a mile or more horizontally from the cloud. :big_beer:

But then as a Floridian, you already know that. :)

Any-hoo, take care pal.

Thanks for the green rod review. I've two sets of race rods + 1 spare, and I feel rich, and I think they will do me fine for now.

-H

Hi Howard!!

Great to hear from you! Hope all is well on your side of the world!

I haven't had a direct lightening hit yet!! heehee!

But, I've been knocked off my feet twice and burned a little (my wife says three times, but I don't remember the third...heehee!).

Ever see the movie "Powder"

That's the way to go!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Anybody with an extra set they want tested??? kid_devlish.gif My opinions can be bought!!!! smiley-devil.gif

I wish I had thought of that.

I've only got one problem - NO TAKERS!!! kid_devlish.gifsmiley-devil.gif But it doesn't hurt to ask!!wink.gif

Hi "SV",

"Ask and Thou Shalt receive!" heehee!

It's a deal! I'll buy your opinion! heehee!

I just talked to Theresa at "The Kite Shoppe" and she has a set of "Greenies" set aside for you (y'all can work out how they travel).

What I (we) need is a good honest & unbiased review from a "common" Rev. flyer. Hell, John and Watty have no idea how to evaluate things at our level of the game! heehee!

But, after listening to them...I get a slight feeling that maybe I'm missing something in my assessment of things. So, you can check them out and review the "Greenies" for me (us)! Thanks!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Anybody with an extra set they want tested??? kid_devlish.gif My opinions can be bought!!!! smiley-devil.gif

I wish I had thought of that.

I've only got one problem - NO TAKERS!!! kid_devlish.gifsmiley-devil.gif But it doesn't hurt to ask!!wink.gif

Hi "SV",

"Ask and Thou Shalt receive!" heehee!

It's a deal! I'll buy your opinion! heehee!

I just talked to Theresa at "The Kite Shoppe" and she has a set of "Greenies" set aside for you (y'all can work out how they travel).

What I (we) need is a good honest & unbiased review from a "common" Rev. flyer. Hell, John and Watty have no idea how to evaluate things at our level of the game! heehee!

But, after listening to them...I get a slight feeling that maybe I'm missing something in my assessment of things. So, you can check them out and review the "Greenies" for me (us)! Thanks!

Keep It Up!

Duane

"

Duane : just got off the phone with Theresa, I will pick them up tomorrow!! She lives pretty close to me!! Sir, I just wanted to say "Thank You" very much, this is way above anything I expected!! I will be more than glad to "review" them properly for "us"!! Thank You!!!