KiteLife Forum

Green Rods

Guru4tru

So I don't need to test them till destruction?? That's a relief, only broken 1 rod in 20 years!! Knock on wood!! kid_devlish.gif

And I suppose we should have a dead line on this too. Seeing how the weather is not always as we would like and the fact that I can't remember much of anything anymore...we need to give you plenty of time and we need to have an end date we can both remember. I got it!! heehee!

How about "John's 37th Birthday"!! Yeah...that's good and I'll remember it too, I think!

The review has to be in before John's 37th Birthday! Have fun!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey "SV",

BTW...I didn't know you've been flying for 20 years! My referring to you as a "common Rev. Flyer" was probably quite an insult...I'm sorry about that!

But, that should make you even more perfect for reviewing the Greenies...You have much more experience then I do, so you know what to look for and how it actually flies relative to the other rods...and...you are probably not as good as John, so you can still relate to us beginners! heehee! (No offence John, but gods are gods!) heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

That's 20 years total, had to take a bit of a break right after my stroke, then another recuperating from hip replacement!! But this last year has been exciting!! Lots of Rev flying, now with an Indoor almost a daily thing, and there has been no substitute for "time on the lines"!! Skills that I could only imagine are slowly peeking out from the darkness!! I had flown mostly dualies, with an occasional flight for my Rev1 if the winds were right!! Got to where I didn't like the pull so much and even though I had leaders on to adjust by, well they weren't enough!! I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a vented kite before last summer!!!! Now, I've got most of the wind range covered with vents of all types, no extra vent for hurricanes yet, and fly pretty much when ever I can! It will be interesting to see how the "greenies" react in different sails and if I like them or not!! By the way, you're right I'm no JB or Watty for sure, so you're sure to get an opinion from a regular but common flier!!

Now if only the weather would play nice so I can go outside, Indoors is fun, but I need my dose of sunshine!!

Interesting stream!

Looking forward to your review!

...Seeing I've given-up trying to figure-out the whole scheme of green vs. race god-rods! :confused!: ...I'll happily leave that up to YOU!

Interesting stream!

Looking forward to your review!

...Seeing I've given-up trying to figure-out the whole scheme of green vs. race god-rods! confused_1.gif ...I'll happily leave that up to YOU!

As soon as I get the chance to try them and compare with the rods I have, I'll post my "review"!! kid_devlish.gif

Talked to Watty - he feels regular race rods do the trick for him!!! He didn't like their flex, just like the "greenies"!! kid_devlish.gif

Aye, a LOT of folks like the greenies, they are good rods...

I'm in the same boat as Watty however, as is the rest of the iQuad gang, we don't use 'em.

Hi John,

Can you be more specific as to why the "greenies" are a "no go" with the IQUAD gang?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Watty hit it on the head... The green and zen rods a little too flexible for our taste, they don't have the "snap" and stiffness that we're partial to (speaking for iQuad as well).

This of course, is also what makes the green rods so durable... The flex, and resiliency.

• 2 weeks later...

Update : Trying these rods in every sail I have, to do a fair comparison!! Got some initial thoughts, but that's what they are, initial!! Keeping the review in mind, will post when I feel satisfied comparisons have been done and are fair!! kid_devlish.gifGood winds, everyone!!! smile.gif

Update : Trying these rods in every sail I have, to do a fair comparison!! Got some initial thoughts, but that's what they are, initial!! Keeping the review in mind, will post when I feel satisfied comparisons have been done and are fair!! kid_devlish.gifGood winds, everyone!!! smile.gif

Hi "SV",

We have the utmost certainty that your review will be the best possible review ever! heehee!

The "Greenies", (like myself), live at the "Total Mercy of the Wind". One thing for sure, if a review depended on me, with the Florida summer here, it wouldn't get done till around Thanksgiving---Maybe! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm a flyer from Singapore, and I've tried the greens and blacks in my 1.5 JB Pros.

I too don't like the way the green flexes in strong winds (abit too much if you ask me) and unfortunately for me I ordered my JB Pro mid-vent with green race rods as well. I am going to see whether I can change it back to the black race rods.

Green Rods are Green Rods, Black Rods are Black Rods - THEY ARE DIFFERENT !! :kid_devlish:

Yes they are, and that's OK!! kid_devlish.gif Not every type of rod fits one's flying style perfectly, that's why there are so many to choose from!! You try, you form opinions, you decide what fits you and your style best!!! wink.gif No one is "right or wrong", just figuring out how something fits into their choices!! Heck, what you like today may change tomorrow!!!!smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Well I'm up to a review!!

First a disclaimer: I don't work for Rev or sponsored by them, the opinions expressed are strictly my own!!

I've tried the "greenies" in every sail but my SUL. My observations:

1. Strong, very strong!! Now I know why Ben uses them in his teaching kites! I never felt that any punishment I could dish out would damage them!! Anyone got a hammer?

2. A bit heavy! If the black race rods are 2 wrap weight with 3 wrap strength, then these are 3 wrap weight with about a 6 wrap strength!! But seriously they felt a bit on the heavy side, especially compared to the black rods!!

3. This is a subjective call - I felt that the "greenies" never unloaded! How to explain - a gust would come, the kite would load, but they never unloaded for me!! Now I'm mostly a solo flyer, so I do a lot of playing around, trying stuff, but my feeling was that these rods didn't stop, but kept driving, when I wanted to halt! Now maybe that's a function of my style, but that's my read!! Just not the same control that I got with some of the other rod sets!!

To compare things properly, I've used several different rod sets on the same day, using the same sail, in the same wind conditions!!

My final conclusion: the "greenies work OK in the lower wind range of whatever sail you're using, but they feel a bit heavy, compared to some of the other rods!! So it's a trade off - extra weight but lots of flex, or lighter rods that already flex more!! In higher winds, they never seem to unload and give you the control you're looking for!! They drive, but don't stop as quickly as you're used to!

As always IMHO!! I am open to your findings, fire away!!!

Well I'm up to a review!!

First a disclaimer: I don't work for Rev or sponsored by them, the opinions expressed are strictly my own!!

I've tried the "greenies" in every sail but my SUL. My observations:

1. Strong, very strong!! Now I know why Ben uses them in his teaching kites! I never felt that any punishment I could dish out would damage them!! Anyone got a hammer?

2. A bit heavy! If the black race rods are 2 wrap weight with 3 wrap strength, then these are 3 wrap weight with about a 6 wrap strength!! But seriously they felt a bit on the heavy side, especially compared to the black rods!!

3. This is a subjective call - I felt that the "greenies" never unloaded! How to explain - a gust would come, the kite would load, but they never unloaded for me!! Now I'm mostly a solo flyer, so I do a lot of playing around, trying stuff, but my feeling was that these rods didn't stop, but kept driving, when I wanted to halt! Now maybe that's a function of my style, but that's my read!! Just not the same control that I got with some of the other rod sets!!

To compare things properly, I've used several different rod sets on the same day, using the same sail, in the same wind conditions!!

My final conclusion: the "greenies work OK in the lower wind range of whatever sail you're using, but they feel a bit heavy, compared to some of the other rods!! So it's a trade off - extra weight but lots of flex, or lighter rods that already flex more!! In higher winds, they never seem to unload and give you the control you're looking for!! They drive, but don't stop as quickly as you're used to!

As always IMHO!! I am open to your findings, fire away!!!

Good review there, SV, and as much as I enjoyed reading your detailed take, on the green sticks, I likewise, stick with my earlier comments....... "Green Rods are green rods, Black Rods are Black Rods, and they are different" :ani_giveup: .

I suppose you nailed it, thought, I just didn't know what to call it, but I knew there was something different, besides just being stronger. "Unloading" - that's the term, and I agree............Here, here ! :group: Oh, IMHO, also !

I would think that these rods will be very useful to a "cruiser" like you!! I mean they really get up and go, I just don't like the stop qualities!! For me, the black race rods offer a different kind of flex that works for "my" style, others will like the "greenies"! Nobody is right or wrong, just different!! What works for you may not work for me, and vise versa!! That's why they offer so many different rod sets, to take advantage of everyone's personal style!! Hey, as long as we're all flying, what's the difference?

I would think that these rods will be very useful to a "cruiser" like you!! I mean they really get up and go, I just don't like the stop qualities!! For me, the black race rods offer a different kind of flex that works for "my" style, others will like the "greenies"! Nobody is right or wrong, just different!! What works for you may not work for me, and vise versa!! That's why they offer so many different rod sets, to take advantage of everyone's personal style!! Hey, as long as we're all flying, what's the difference?

Well, I suppose they might be useful, for a "cruiser" like me, but personally, I just couldn't warm up to them. Initially, I thought I liked them, but after a while - no offense intended towards anyone, just my opinion, I decided I liked the Black Rods better.........

I flew today, on the beach, and on the dunes, in 18 - 25 mph winds, with gusts up to 30...........and yep, I was using my trusty old Black Rods.......and I think I'm perfectly happy with them. There won't be many times that I need anything, any stronger, so I'll stick with my Black Rods ! :ani_giveup:

Perfect example of finding out what feels right to you!! And that can change anytime!! Everyone has a feel that suits them and their style, finding the right combo of rods and kite make the experience worthwhile!!! I encourage everybody to try things out and decide for yourself what works for your particular set up!!!

That's a great review Wayne, thanks!

3. This is a subjective call - I felt that the "greenies" never unloaded! How to explain - a gust would come, the kite would load, but they never unloaded for me!! Now I'm mostly a solo flyer, so I do a lot of playing around, trying stuff, but my feeling was that these rods didn't stop, but kept driving, when I wanted to halt! Now maybe that's a function of my style, but that's my read!! Just not the same control that I got with some of the other rod sets!

I especially appreciate this observation, as you've explained something I hadn't quite been able to articulate... I like that "snap back" from black Race Rods, kind of like sport suspension instead of Cadillac. :ani_giveup: