KiteLife Forum

Revolution 1.5 Frame Weights

Reef Runner

Just for informational purposes......................confused_1.gif

I am attaching some recent weights, that I took on some sets of rods, that I currently own.

They are listed in ascending order, according to weight, and they lined up, just as you might expect.........

These are 5 pc sets...(3 LE Rods, 2 ferrules & 2 Vertical Rods)......weighed in grams, and then re-weighed in ounces.........

2 wrap--------------75 grams--------2.60 ounces

Race (black)------80 grams--------2.80 ounces

Race (green)-----95 grams--------3.40 ounces

3 wrap-------------105 grams--------3.70 ounces

4 wrap-------------115 grams--------4.10 ounces

Anybody got any comparisons ?

:)

I am attaching some recent weights, that I took on some sets of rods, that I currently own.

They are listed in ascending order, according to weight, and they lined up, just as you might expect.........

These are 5 pc sets...(3 LE Rods, 2 ferrules & 2 Vertical Rods)......weighed in grams, and then re-weighed in ounces.........

:)

I was aware of most of these weights, with the exception of the green race rods. Good to see where they fit as far as weight goes. Good info. Thanks

• Like 1

I was aware of most of these weights, with the exception of the green race rods. Good to see where they fit as far as weight goes. Good info. Thanks

Hey Watty, I posted them over on the Rev forum, along with your rod descriptions. You might want to add your .pfd file here, just as good information for everyone......thanks

Watty,

Good work pulling together a single page overview of all the commonly available rods. That's a great help for someone joining the ranks. I stumbled upon Kent's explanations on his website (A Wind of Change) for the SLE, 2-, 3-, and 4-wrap rods and it helped me tremendously when first starting.

One correction ... The SLE rods have a 7/16 inch internal diameter.

One point of clarification ... The 1/4 inch indoor rods have a variety of labels. Mine has the Race Rod label. I only have data for my set of indoor rods, but they are close to the same stiffness as some outdoor race rods, so I'm not positive that they are built with more flexibility.

Second point of clarification ... In the Race Rod description you say that they are more flexible than the standard rods. Yet, they are advertised as being "as stiff as a 3-wrap". They don't meet that standard, but they are stiffer than a 2-wrap.

One question ... Please explain what you mean by the highlighted sentence in the attached write-up. You've included it the 2-, 3-, and 4-wrap write-ups.

2-Wrap: 2-wrap rods are the lightest and most fragile rods for outdoor use. These rods

have a similar stiffness to the 3-wrap and 4-wrap rods. These rods should be used in the

lower wind ranges. 2-wrap rods are identified by their label with either 2 feathers or the

words “Professional Use Only” with an internal diameter of ¼ inch.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Jeepster,

Hey, have you had any experience with the Green Race Rods; and if so what did you think of them?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Oh yes, you've touched on a subject that interests me. I'm a test engineer by training and experience, thus I love to measure things and make deductions from that data. It's very easy to measure the weight and stiffness of the rods we fly with. That's what the archery industry does ... they call it weight and spline. Ben tells me I'm missing the recovery measurement, but I'm concerned that he's just trying to drive me crazy.

Once you have that data though, what do you do with it?? Try to relate it to real world flying? Well that's a problem.

1) We're all at different skill levels and have different flying styles.

2) We're are flying kites with slightly different characteristics ... B-series vs Pro-series vs SLE; full sail vs mid-vent vs full-vent; new vs old vs really old; etc..

3) Don't forget the environmental characteristics ... beach vs inland; gusty vs smooth; varying vs steady; high vs low; etc..

4) Oh yes, how about the kite set up ... do you have a new, well balanced bridle or the French one ... is it accurately tied? Do you fly with magic sticks? Shanti or Laser Pro line? What size handles?

5) There's scatter in the stiffness of Rev rods ... manufacturing tolerances cause that. My son and I each have a set of 3-wraps that are out side the norm ... lighter and stiffer than normal that is. They're like gold to us!!!

I've probably missed something, but all of the above affect how the kite reacts and how we perceive it handling. So, when someone states emphatically that they've found the new "rainbow rods" to be the answer to their prayers, that might be true. But, for you and me those rods might be our worst nightmare. The absolute best way is to try different rod sets in your kite at your flying site and decide if they match your parameters. Oh, and don't throw away the other rods ... your flying style might change over time and they might become the newest, best thing!!!

I've measured the weight and deflection of a set of green rods, but haven't flown them enough to have an opinion of their flight characteristics. One of our club members has the set right now and he's in love with them. I'll probably stick with my 3-wraps ... that's what I tend to fly mostly.

Okay, now where does this soap box go?

Cheers and thanks for asking,

Tom

We could use a couple of new 'smileys':

st2_box.gif or soapbox.gif

and

scholar.gif

I particularly like the last one. I use it a lot.

Some gif animation expert might replace the cussing from the soapboxers with a scrolling "blah blah blah blah..." to make it more 'family friendly'.

We could use a couple of new 'smileys':

st2_box.gif or soapbox.gif

and

scholar.gif

I particularly like the last one. I use it a lot.

Some gif animation expert might replace the cussing from the soapboxers with a scrolling "blah blah blah blah..." to make it more 'family friendly'.

These are totally funny!!! kid_devlish.gif

Let me preface this with saying that I initially made this sheet as added material to be given out at the 4th Annual West Coast Rev Clinic.

Watty,

Good work pulling together a single page overview of all the commonly available rods. That's a great help for someone joining the ranks. I stumbled upon Kent's explanations on his website (A Wind of Change) for the SLE, 2-, 3-, and 4-wrap rods and it helped me tremendously when first starting.

One correction ... The SLE rods have a 7/16 inch internal diameter.

I've never really bothered to measure. 1/2 inch looks close enough for me, and for the general rev flyer, they get the idea.

One point of clarification ... The 1/4 inch indoor rods have a variety of labels. Mine has the Race Rod label. I only have data for my set of indoor rods, but they are close to the same stiffness as some outdoor race rods, so I'm not positive that they are built with more flexibility.

The variety of labels was during revolutions indoor self-identity crisis. They began with the skinny "Advantage 1.5," then skinny "Professional Use Only." They then switched to 1/4 inch rods with a silver flame label similar to the race rods, but with no text. They then added the text "Race" to these same rods. They have now settled on a single feather to go with the trend of the 2, 3, and 4 wrap rods. Because there is limited space on a single printed document, I decided to stick with information that is relevant for items that one would purchase from Revolution today.

Second point of clarification ... In the Race Rod description you say that they are more flexible than the standard rods. Yet, they are advertised as being "as stiff as a 3-wrap". They don't meet that standard, but they are stiffer than a 2-wrap.

I've always felt that, in it's ideal wind, the race rods are a tad more flexible than the regular rods. I seem to remember them being advertised being "as strong as a 3-wrap."

One question ... Please explain what you mean by the highlighted sentence in the attached write-up. You've included it the 2-, 3-, and 4-wrap write-ups.

2-Wrap: 2-wrap rods are the lightest and most fragile rods for outdoor use. These rods

have a similar stiffness to the 3-wrap and 4-wrap rods. These rods should be used in the

lower wind ranges. 2-wrap rods are identified by their label with either 2 feathers or the

words “Professional Use Only” with an internal diameter of ¼ inch.

This is meaning that in it's ideal wind, each of these rods will act similarly.

Bare in mind that this is not intended to be the Official Revolution Guide or anything. It is simply a bit of information to allow for beginners to understand what is going on when someone on the field says, "I'm switching to race."

Hi Jeepster,

Hey, have you had any experience with the Green Race Rods; and if so what did you think of them?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Oh yes, you've touched on a subject that interests me. I'm a test engineer by training and experience, thus I love to measure things and make deductions from that data. It's very easy to measure the weight and stiffness of the rods we fly with. That's what the archery industry does ... they call it weight and spline. Ben tells me I'm missing the recovery measurement, but I'm concerned that he's just trying to drive me crazy.

Once you have that data though, what do you do with it?? Try to relate it to real world flying? Well that's a problem.

1) We're all at different skill levels and have different flying styles.

2) We're are flying kites with slightly different characteristics ... B-series vs Pro-series vs SLE; full sail vs mid-vent vs full-vent; new vs old vs really old; etc..

3) Don't forget the environmental characteristics ... beach vs inland; gusty vs smooth; varying vs steady; high vs low; etc..

4) Oh yes, how about the kite set up ... do you have a new, well balanced bridle or the French one ... is it accurately tied? Do you fly with magic sticks? Shanti or Laser Pro line? What size handles?

5) There's scatter in the stiffness of Rev rods ... manufacturing tolerances cause that. My son and I each have a set of 3-wraps that are out side the norm ... lighter and stiffer than normal that is. They're like gold to us!!!

I've probably missed something, but all of the above affect how the kite reacts and how we perceive it handling. So, when someone states emphatically that they've found the new "rainbow rods" to be the answer to their prayers, that might be true. But, for you and me those rods might be our worst nightmare. The absolute best way is to try different rod sets in your kite at your flying site and decide if they match your parameters. Oh, and don't throw away the other rods ... your flying style might change over time and they might become the newest, best thing!!!

I've measured the weight and deflection of a set of green rods, but haven't flown them enough to have an opinion of their flight characteristics. One of our club members has the set right now and he's in love with them. I'll probably stick with my 3-wraps ... that's what I tend to fly mostly.

Okay, now where does this soap box go?

Cheers and thanks for asking,

Tom

Damn Jeepster!! If it isn't one thing it's something else!?!?

OK....What's a "French bridle"...and ...What are "Magic Sticks"?? heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, a French bridle is a modified bridle that moves the tow points outward. This bridle system is used to help with tricking.

Magic sticks are sticks that point off the back of the sail on both sides. They are commonly referred to as Quad Sticks, and Sissy Sticks.

Damn Jeepster!! If it isn't one thing it's something else!?!?

OK....What's a "French bridle"...and ...What are "Magic Sticks"?? heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

The French bridle is a modification that some folks use to tighten up the kite. Check here for a thread on the Rev forum. Read down a little and you'll see the dimensions posted.

Magic Sticks (quad sticks, training wheels, etc.) are used to tighten up the kite and reduce the amount of flex. Revflyer is a strong advocate for them. Scott Wieder is making and selling them. See his website here. Check here for a thread on the Rev forum.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Guys,

I think I'll wait till I'm soooo good that I start to get bored, (and I don't think that could ever happen), before I check that stuff out...At least I know it's out there!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Oh Yeah...I flew the "Greenies" and "Blackies" today in 8 to 14 mph variable wind with the STD PRO and I still like the "Greenies" best so far. Also, if they are stronger, which I've been told they are, they would be the best rod to teach with...lots of crashes in the beginning.

... Also, if they are stronger, which I've been told they are, they would be the best rod to teach with...lots of crashes in the beginning.

I noticed Ben putting the Green rods in his instruction kites at Grand Haven last weekend. So, you might have something there.

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I should go and weigh mine but I'm certain that they'll fall within measurement error of your values. I don't have all these frames as of yet but greatly appreciate your posing this information. I really wish the specifications were more consistent across families. Some families have tables with dimensions and what not while some others do not. I wish there was one handy location that had all the specifications on all the different kites including weights. Or at least comparing all the components such as different bridles and what not so that one could make comparative assessments of where the greatest weight savings vs strength can be made. It would make questions like how similar is a B series 1.5 to a standard series 1.5 as for weight? Or how similar is a standard series 1.5 or B series 1.5 with a Zen frame to that of a full up Zen kite? For those of us who don't have a lot of others around them or access to easily see these things at a local shop this data can be very helpful....

Thanks much sir.

~Brett

I should go and weigh mine but I'm certain that they'll fall within measurement error of your values. I don't have all these frames as of yet but greatly appreciate your posing this information. I really wish the specifications were more consistent across families. Some families have tables with dimensions and what not while some others do not. I wish there was one handy location that had all the specifications on all the different kites including weights. Or at least comparing all the components such as different bridles and what not so that one could make comparative assessments of where the greatest weight savings vs strength can be made. It would make questions like how similar is a B series 1.5 to a standard series 1.5 as for weight? Or how similar is a standard series 1.5 or B series 1.5 with a Zen frame to that of a full up Zen kite? For those of us who don't have a lot of others around them or access to easily see these things at a local shop this data can be very helpful....

Thanks much sir.

~Brett

You are very welcome, Brett. I just happened to have all the rods laying there, and there was my postal scale on the shelf, so I figured it was a good time to put the info together. Glad you found the data informative.......nick :)

• 6 years later...