KiteLife Forum

Rev. Tuning?!?!

OK...I suppose my brain was out to lunch "again" while class was in session...I ran across this statement:

"And I do like his (John's) ideas on tuning, I don't have as much differential as he does, but I'm close enough to feel the difference!!"

What's he talking about..."TUNING"...?? How, When & Why do you "Tune" a Rev.?!?!

(Or was he talking about the dancing John does when he flys? heehee!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

I believe he is talking about the knots in the line on the handles. You adjust where the lines are to get more or less "brake"

Thanks "racer76g",

If that's what the "tuning" was he was speaking about, then I'm OK...I've got that covered...I just didn't know the terminological!

I never played with those little "weights"...have you, or anyone, ever used them? And if so, can you tell me how they effect the kite. Do they go in the vertical rods...(if so, top or bottom)...or do they go in the leading edge ends...or both?

Keep It Up!

Duane

The weights go in the bottoms of the vertical spars with the string hanging out and are "captured" or held in place by the end caps. They give a bit of mass to the "stern" of the kite, and give a bit of momentum to the trailing edge when doing maneuvers like Flic-flacs where the move is started by a quick pull on the line but must carry through with the momentum of the kite itself. They would also help to balance the kite for glides if you happen to have a heavy or doubled up leading edge spar; the extra weight would also help prevent nose-dives when the kite is overhead with a heavy LE spar.

(Warning: I have no experience whatsoever with any of the things mentioned above. I "learned it from a book"*. In this case from reading the Rev and Kitelife forums.)

======

* Who recognizes this or where it comes from? (Imagine a strong Spanish accent.)

... If that's what the "tuning" was he was speaking about, then I'm OK...I've got that covered ...

Oh Duane, he was talking about tuning in a different set of voices in his head. You don't listen to the same voice all the time do you?

Cheers,

Tom

... If that's what the "tuning" was he was speaking about, then I'm OK...I've got that covered ...

Oh Duane, he was talking about tuning in a different set of voices in his head. You don't listen to the same voice all the time do you?

Cheers,

Tom

It depends....sometimes I ask for a second opinion!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I believe he is talking about the knots in the line on the handles. You adjust where the lines are to get more or less "brake"

Thanks "racer76g",

If that's what the "tuning" was he was speaking about, then I'm OK...I've got that covered...I just didn't know the terminological!

I never played with those little "weights"...have you, or anyone, ever used them? And if so, can you tell me how they effect the kite. Do they go in the vertical rods...(if so, top or bottom)...or do they go in the leading edge ends...or both?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Pete got it right. The weights are mainly for tricking. And they do make a noticeable difference in flick-flacks and axels, but because I am able to do them without the weights, they tend to do more harm than good for me.

Thanks "racer76g",

Keep It Up!

Duane

Pete got it right. The weights are mainly for tricking. And they do make a noticeable difference in flick-flacks and axels, but because I am able to do them without the weights, they tend to do more harm than good for me.

I think Pete got that information from reading Alice in Wonderland...I can't wait for my copy to arrive (should be here Monday)!! heehee!

Hey "race76g"...I noticed you are in your teens...that's great! I sure wish I had picked up this kiting stuff then. Starting out at 58...well, the old brain just doesn't grasp things as quickly as it used to. heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane