KiteLife Forum

A few questions from a complete novice...

ftlosm

Gah! Wednesday and Sunday evenings are always taken for me. They also seem to be the "standard" days for local group flies in this area.

As far as the local park systems (state and Metroparks), I think you would have to ask them. Certainly some State Parks allow kites, or there wouldn't be a Grand Haven event.

I can't find anything about kites in the state parks, one way or the other. The MetroPark site mentions kiteboarding and snowkiting as available activities, but nothing about flying kites as an activity.

seems the new hudson weather tonight "should" be decent 9-11 mph winds 75 sunny, so i think ill go try the atchison park tonight once wife is home, can't quite see flying it with the kids/baby with me without her help on the kids part.

Bill ;)

Well by the time my wife got home and we ate and got the kids in the car I didn't even get to the park till almost 8:15pm but I still really wanted to fly this thing a bit, the winds had died down later in the day (bummer) but there was just enough to get this up and into the air for about 20 mins, snapped a few pics and some quick video of it, the thing flies like a dream and looks amazing in person and in flight...

http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=612385670

or

http://www.facebook....150241192165671

if those links don't work (I couldn't figure out how to embed it here) check it out on youtube at

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xyvuXtCN8CU

_DSC4350_20162__Small_.jpg

_DSC4346_20158__Small_.JPG

VERY happy camper though, big thanks to George Peters for making one heck of a COOL kite and for Into the wind for finally getting some in stock (been waiting a while for this one)...

Bill ;)

Hi Bill,

Watching your first flight brought a true smile to my face! ;)

Thanks for posting the videos!

That is a really beautiful and BIG kite! That's gotta be a real attention grabber too!

I've gotta get me one of those...maybe this Christmas...if I'm really good!?!? heehee!

You should fly that at some kite festivals they have up there!

Keep It Up!

Duane

A beautiful kite!

Where did the "mystery" spars end up fitting? (My guess is the third spar flexed to keep the tail spars separated.) Where did the other two go?

Yes I figured it out in the field literally a min before flying it lol, there were 3 very thin spars not mentioned or really shown in the instructions, at first i thought the 2 even ones went to the head and into the nose (made sense), but I realized quick once I put them into the nose they were way over bent, so a bit more looking I realized in the tail there were two sew pockets that go from the outside to the inner spine, thats where the two equal ones go, then the longer thin one gets a bend and goes into the head.

Once I did that man it all came together, wish I had a bit more wind that day but hey gotta work with what we have right? Surprisingly this big kite fits back down into its 46 inch bag with no problem and goes together pretty quick once you know where things go that is hehe.

Bill ;)

Sky-Bird-Instruction-Sheet-.jpg