KiteLife Forum

Help-my mind is overloaded!:wacko:

FlyingFish

Hi, I live near Seattle, WA and two years ago was introduced to stunt kites. Since then, I fly about twice a year, since I have to persuade someone to drive me down to Long Beach (I'm scared to get my permit) I can fly normally without crashing, and am going to start learning tricks at the Kite Festival in August ( attempts to persuade mom to go down there president's week break failed). I have a Phoenix, and just today received a New Age for my birthday. Haven't flown it yet, because the wind here is nil, and when it does blow very gusty. i suppose i should wait till I have flown the New Age to see what I am looking for in a new kite, but.... The New Age wasn't exactly my first choice. I know it's good, and I will probably love it, it's just I was looking at others. i currently like precision, but need a kite that will also trick easy and will carry me as high as I can go. I would like to compete in something when i learn more. I don't have the money to keep updating, but am willing to buy two good kites that will never need updating. I also am looking for an UL.

Kites I am looking at (and wanting badly!) :)

- :Dthe Mamba

- B) the Gemini

-?? The mantis

-??The Delta Drive

- :D The Quantum Pro

- :D Sano SS

- :( ADX

- :( Tramontana

- :P STX 2.3

As you can see-too much!! Please tell me what you think! These aren't even counting the UL. any recommendations for those? 0-8 would be cool.

*sits back, breathes deeply, waits*

Hey there Fish!

Another Seattle area flyer here (Kent).

FIrst of all, we need to get you flying more! It's in your blood now. You can't deny it. Soon you won't be able to think of anything else! :)

Sounds like transportation is a problem. Where in the Seattle area are you?

There are those of us that try to find a place around the are to fly, when we can't get down to the beach to get to the perfect winds.

There's spot where people just gravitate to fly, and sometimes run into other fliers.

There's "kite hill" at Magnussen park near the university district.

Gasworks park on lake Union.

In Everett, there's the 10th street boat launch.

Down south there's Orting and Puyallup.

There are even some official fun flies coming up in April at a couple of those places.

In a pinch, I've even flown at the grade school across from my house. The wind is terrible there, but a small, light kite helps a lot.

That's quite a list of kites there. You've obviously done your research.

The two you have right now are both nice kites. The New Age is very nice!

That doesn't stop you from wanting more though, does it? :(

I have a few of the kites on your list, and they're all well made, and very enjoyable to fly. If we run into each other some time, you're welcome to give one of mine a try. Kiters are cool that way. Ask nicely, and most will let you fly their toys.

Have fun out there!

Get the Mamba. It's is not only a great flying kite that has good precision and does all the axel-based tricks exceedingly well, after owning one of them you will know what an excellently built kite looks and flies like. BlueMoon Kites (Ken McNeill) has just released his Mantis kite, and others, who own and fly every BlueMoon kite made, say is better than the Mamba or anything Ken has ever made before.

So, I'd suggest you get one of the best. You can settle for one of the others later.

:)

Well I sure Like the list of kites, but I would go with the Quantum Pro. and the STX 1.8. The 1.8 has a wind range of 0.5-12 mph and from what I am told this is an UL that you can really trick (you can feel it on the lines). If I had the money it would be my next kite.

i currently like precision, but need a kite that will also trick easy and will carry me as high as I can go.
Haven't flown it yet, because the wind here is nil, and when it does blow very gusty.

I think the STX 1.8 and the Quantum Pro. fit your needs perfectly.

Hi Fish,

You've got a great list of kites. Almost everyone of them is the flagship kite of the respective manufacturer. Therefore the most expensive. :)

There are some excellent mid range kites available. Prism makes two of them, the E-2 and the Quantum. The E-2 is a great package, that includes a d.v.d., wind meter, booklet, lines and kite. A number of fliers have commented that the E-2 out of the bag is a good enough to win trick competitions.

The Quantum would be a great introduction into the current Precision/Ballet kites. Its built to take a pounding.

Other companies you might want to take a look at is New Tech with their Big Bang, and Techno. Premier is accociated with Jon Trennepohl of Sky Burner, who has designed kites for them. They have the new Night Hawk and Magnum which are suppose to be very nice flying kites.

If you want to go straight to the top, then get a Blue Moon kite. They are the best flying kites on the market, not the trickiest, just great flyers. They handle gusts well, are rock solid on the edge of the window, and just have a great feel at the end of the lines. You can't go wrong with a Blue Moon Kite.

A great way to buy kites is used. A lot of guys will pick up a kites, fly it for a few hours and then sell it. You can get great deal this way.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fish,

There's a fairly active club in our area, the Pierce County Kiteflyers Association.

They've justed posted a schedule of the stuff that's happening in the area.

Their website is Here

April is National Kite Month. April 10th the PCKA is having a fun fly in Orting, WA. That'd be about a half hour drive from Renton.

Fun flies are a lot smaller and less "official" than the big event at Long Beach. Last year, at Orting, there were maybe 30-40 people. About half single line fliers and half dual line. They're all a friendly bunch. It was a lot of fun.

Maybe, if Penny is coming, you could move up your quad lesson!

See if your Mom will bring you down. We'll see if we can get her addicted too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I fly single, dual and quads in the Tacoma area. I was out of the sport for a few years but now am back into it.

The Prism E2 is an excellent kite, besides the rev, it's the one i fly most often.

It handles like a dream and almost tricks on its own