KiteLife Forum

New 7.5 Box Delta issues

ftlosm

Bought my 10 yr old a new 7.5 feet Box Delta, Rainbow Ray super simple setup, one cross rod, pull the two side rods that slide down into position on the wings attach the line and fly!

Well the wind was 5-10 mph and was just enough to get it up yet each time it just went to the right and fell slowly, just not quite enough air but also noticed something weird before we even got it up that might be the reason it was pulling right.

The back cross rod doesn't sit in the sewed in pockets quite right (for lack of proper terms), one side sits solid and the side wing rod sits true and the other side seems to sit funky and the wing rod sorta folds forward (took pics to try and help explain), figured that might be why it was pulling to the right too...

delta-issues.jpg

delta-kite-issues-2.jpg

I know we didn't have quite enough wind but since this is my first larger delta is that "normal" the way the rod sits in there like that? I can manually adjust that weird side to sit even like the other BUT the moment the kite goes up that side wing rod flips forward again, never seems to happen on the other side, even tried flipping the rod around same issue on same side, doesn't seem like its too long or fits too tightly either...

Thanks for any help, know my daughter was bummed when we couldn't get it flying true in the sky, even tried with 2 6 foot tails on it but again not quite enough wind, thought the tails might help steady it but still no go just went partially up then to the right and slowly fell each time.

Bill

Bill,

I've got a number of 7 ft deltas from Gomberg. On those kites, the bottom of the pocket is open into the side rod tubes. Thus, the cross rod actually rides up and over the side rod tubes on both sides ... yep, evenly.

Does your cross rod have end caps on it? If not, you might slip down to your local kite shop and buy a couple to lengthen the tube slightly so that it rides up and over the side tubes evenly on both sides. Maybe an ink pen cap would lengthen it enough to balance the sides. If it has end caps, you might try taking them off to shorten the cross rod and see if that helps.

Try a tail only on the "high" side. That might be foolish, but what the heck.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with your specific kite. The Gomberg kites haven't given me any trouble at all.

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: Just checked an old, cheap delta and it has pockets that extend slightly past the side rod tubes. That forces the cross rod over the back side of both side rods.

Tom, yes the rod has caps on each end, I looked really closely at the pockets it goes into and it doesn't "appear" to go thru (crossing the wing rods) maybe a slightly different design hummm

If you bought it from your local kite shop, I'd go back and ask them. Jon T. will be out for awhile 'cuz of hip replacement surgery, but Marianne should be able to help you. Or, visit the Wednesday evening kite fly ... there are some experienced folks there.

Cheers,

Tom

Took the Delta into the store I got it from and they swapped me out with a new one, very minor sewing/fabric flaw on one side was causing this (I thought it might have been me even), super nice folks tho there at Kites and Fun Thins in Plymouth, got me going in less than 5 mins.

Bill :kid_devlish:

Glad to even HAVE a local kite shop, so very happy to help support them and our areas economy, just going in and "seeing" stuff in person is really fun too!

Very helpful folks there as well, that makes all the difference...

Bill :kid_devlish: