KiteLife Forum

Good ol' boys Club

Exile

Just because I'm curious as to the number, I'm starting this thread.

Being involved in a couple different sports, Kites being one of them. I've come to find that most of these sports or hobbies tend to be a Good ol' boys club. I'm sure that there are female fliers out there, but I would really like to know how many there are out there. Being a Falconer, there are VERY few females that practice the sport. of the 90 or so falconers in MT, there are only females that I know of. Working in the Aviation industry, of the 100's of pilots that I've met, I've only ever seen 4, and met 1. In Kites... I've yet to see a female flier. While I know they are out there, I've never met any female skydivers either. There are probably more female skydivers than I realize though. But the mass majority of participants in all of these sports are male. Where are the females, and how many are out there.

This thread is not intended to start a battle of the sexes debate, I'm just curious how many are out there, and why there aren't more.

I'm here! I have no answer for why there aren't more female fliers. There are only two regular fliers in our area of the NC coast. And one of us runs the local kite shop and doesn't get out as much as she would like. I fly with the guys and we have a good time together. Some of the wives or significant others don't like the heat or the sand or the sweat. Many couples want time to themselves and nurture "his and hers" interests. And it takes a strong-minded single woman to walk up and join a group of men out on the flying field on her own. I probably wouldn't have started flying if it wasn't a mutual interest with me and my DH.

kjm

I'm here too! ;)

Now my husband is JB, but I started kite flying before we met. (2004)

Why I started??

It's just fun!!

Before started flying, I didn't know how much wind has power, how much fun that controlling the kite....

Maybe some female don't like sunburn, suntan, heat/sweat or sand as kjm said.

Anyway, I know lots of female kite flier not only Quad line but also Dual line and Single line. ;)

Raises hand.. I am here as well.

I love to fly.. simple as it is. And if it means I walk up to a group of the *good ole boys* in order to have some fun.. well then that's what happens. I have met a lot of great people in kiting. Yes, we are the smaller group..it's ok. As long as I fly.. I am happy. Nice to meet you. And if you need help making some connections there, I am your AKA Regional Director. ;)

Amy Doran

FeliciaFlyingFS1.jpg

I think there aren't many females as 'into' flying as the guys are, but I know a few... my wife's one (flying a kite twice as big as her above ), and another female friend actually owns a kite store. Have a look in the AKA magazine, there seem to be a number of women involved in all types of kite activities...

~Rob.

P1080659.jpg

I'm here! I started flying team with my husband and another couple and have been flying ever since, over 12 years now, team, pairs, dual-line, quad-line, indoor, outdoor, single-line, you name it. Love to be outdoors flying. There's not a lot of us, but we're mighty powerful.

Donna

Hi Exile....

2.gif Hello, from NJ....

I've been flying Revs for a little over three years. I'm a member of the Rev Riders. I fly regularly at Liberty State Park, NJ. There are a few ladies that fly out of the New England area, also; with one being on a team that goes waaaaay back; she even owned a kite shop, back "in the day".

I know I've seen you on the Rev Forum, right? I'm curious to know how you missed all of the ladies that post on there. While the numbers are relatively low compared to the guys, we're out there.

Like TK noted, it's possible that some females don't like the environment of flying.... though I love it! Others might not be aware of the sport kites at all. Even after all the flying I've done and spoken about, some of my extended family still think or picture my kite flying as a child running with a kite- the usual cliche!

Hope this helps you out. Maybe I'll see/meet you out there. If you're ever in the NY/NJ area, give a shout out on the Rev Forum. The Jersey Crew is happy to fly with anyone; especially friends from the Forum!

Have a great day.

"

Just because I'm curious as to the number, I'm starting this thread.

Being involved in a couple different sports, Kites being one of them. I've come to find that most of these sports or hobbies tend to be a Good ol' boys club. I'm sure that there are female fliers out there, but I would really like to know how many there are out there. Being a Falconer, there are VERY few females that practice the sport. of the 90 or so falconers in MT, there are only females that I know of. Working in the Aviation industry, of the 100's of pilots that I've met, I've only ever seen 4, and met 1. In Kites... I've yet to see a female flier. While I know they are out there, I've never met any female skydivers either. There are probably more female skydivers than I realize though. But the mass majority of participants in all of these sports are male. Where are the females, and how many are out there.

This thread is not intended to start a battle of the sexes debate, I'm just curious how many are out there, and why there aren't more.

Sorry I'm a little late in responding to this post...but I've been underground...

So...You say that you are a "Falconer"...An activity that interested me at one time...but...Hummm...Every "True" Falconer that I have ever met had a patch over one eye or at least some scars across his/her face...what do you have to say for yourself!?!?

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 month later...

Woo Hoo! I am finally getting around to Replying to this thread! ( My fist time ever) ... OK......

So, there are loads of women who fly all kinds of kites! We just happen to be spread out all over the world!! I have girl friends that teach kite surfing, others who buggy. I have lady friends that fly on both dual line and quad line kites, not to mention all the ladies that manage those amazing single line works of art!!! ( You all know who you are!!!) I know lady kiters for Canada, USA, England, Japan, ummm, I am sure I know some from other countries too but they elude me at this moment.( Sorry if I forgot anyone.)

I myself fly on 2 quad line teams ( Home team ,Island Quad and I fly with IQuad as well) and have just recently started to dabble into the duel and single line arenas. Heck, I am up for anything!! That being said, I know even more kite widows ( pardon the slang) that cannot understand how their men are spending SO much time "flying those childish things". My heart goes out to those who have had to deal with this (from either prospective.) It can be hard to find something you both enjoy!

For those of you who know me know how I was introduced to kiting! And am I forever grateful for all that the kiting community has brought to my life!! <GRIN>

Cautiously planning a small Ladies mega fly at WISKIF this year! **Fingers crossed**

Hope my calling has gotten a bit better! <blush>

See All my kiting Queens and Princess at Long Beach, WA

I know of a few women fliers who haven't responded yet, and some have even made careers from the sport/hobby

Donna

Susan

Ronda

Theresa

Sandy

Penny

Lisa

Jeanette

Lynn

Carol

Annie

And I expect to meet more lady's (of kiting) at WSIKF later in the week