KiteLife Forum

Should I be breaking down the leading edge

kruski

Hi everyone, I am brand new here. I haven't been posting much, but have been reading alot.

I have a 2011 Prism Zephyr and the bag it came with can be compact when you break down the leading edges or it can hold the kite with leading edges assembled.

5599605352_5a65728877.jpg5599605388_16093b6b60.jpg

I have not been un-tieing the knot which holds tension and separating the leading edge for storage.

Am I OK with this form of storage or should I be breaking the kite down fully after each use?

Hey Kruski...

It is fine to leave the LE tensioned on the Zephyr, unless you're storing it for an extended period of time. It's not so important to release the tension on kites that have straight LEs, but if you get a kite with a curved LE, it's a good idea to release the tension after each use. Older Prism kites like the E2, Elixir, Illusion have a curved LE, as well as the Benson Gemini. There are more, but those are some good examples.

With the old Zephyr, you had to break down the LE every time, because the hard case was only 1/2 length. After retrofitting the lashings, it made it a lot quicker & easier...

My 'quickie lashings' solution. Using the quickie lashings makes it alot easier to set up and break down the Zephyr...

These are the stock wingtip lashings. WAY TOO SHORT, first of all. A real PITA to tie and untie.

IMG_1712.jpg

Cut those freakin' things off, and thread a length of bridle line through the loop, doubled over. Notice the handy dandy paperclip tool.

IMG_1715.jpg

Now, tie the loose ends together, and place the inner knot at the perfect spot to hold enough tension on the sail.

IMG_1719.jpg

Loop the closed end of the loop through the nock...

IMG_1721.jpg

And pull the inner knot through the nock. The extra length and knot at the end help in this, which is where the tension is applied to the leading edge and sail.

IMG_1722.jpg

This setup has saved me about 5-10 minutes per flight for more fly time...

~Rob.

• Like 7

• 2 years later...

Hey Kruski...

It is fine to leave the LE tensioned on the Zephyr, unless you're storing it for an extended period of time. It's not so important to release the tension on kites that have straight LEs, but if you get a kite with a curved LE, it's a good idea to release the tension after each use. Older Prism kites like the E2, Elixir, Illusion have a curved LE, as well as the Benson Gemini. There are more, but those are some good examples.

With the old Zephyr, you had to break down the LE every time, because the hard case was only 1/2 length. After retrofitting the lashings, it made it a lot quicker & easier...

My 'quickie lashings' solution. Using the quickie lashings makes it alot easier to set up and break down the Zephyr...

These are the stock wingtip lashings. WAY TOO SHORT, first of all. A real PITA to tie and untie.

IMG_1712.jpg

Cut those freakin' things off, and thread a length of bridle line through the loop, doubled over. Notice the handy dandy paperclip tool.

IMG_1715.jpg

Now, tie the loose ends together, and place the inner knot at the perfect spot to hold enough tension on the sail.

IMG_1719.jpg

Loop the closed end of the loop through the nock...

IMG_1721.jpg

And pull the inner knot through the nock. The extra length and knot at the end help in this, which is where the tension is applied to the leading edge and sail.

IMG_1722.jpg

This setup has saved me about 5-10 minutes per flight for more fly time...

~Rob.

Just did this on my Zephyr. Works great!!!

• Like 1

Yeah Cap'n. I did it when Rob showed me and it has saved so much hassle and time. Just make sure you have room to store safely when the LE's are still assembled though. I cleared a nice long shelf in the garage for the long kites. You don't want to store standing up for fear that something might fall across them.

I even leave the Lower Spreaders connected to the Leading Edge APA's. Disconnect from the center Tee and fold up.

@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

I think I may have learned that trick from you, CV. I do the same. Just have to check that they're seated all the way when you're setting up the next time...

• Like 2