KiteLife Forum

Beach Photography

I wasn't sure if I should post some of these photos here or in Kite Photography :kid_content:

I bet a few of you would get a kick out of my father-in-law's kite photography rig. The kite he uses is home made. It's a 6 or 7 foot swept wing box kite made out of tyvek and wooden spars. The camera is an old hacked CVS digital camera that he added a USB drive to in order to get the pictures off of it (basically, a camera that he wouldn't cry over if it broke off of the kite and fell). The camera is set up to take a picture every few seconds until the internal memory is full. The camera frame is also made out of wooden dowls. It has shock absorbers made out of thread that keep the camera at a good angle on the line, and the masterpiece of the whole rig is the piece of silly putty. Before sending the kite up, he twists the silly putty, and as the kite is in the air, the silly putty slowly unwinds and spins the camera around.

There are a few pictures in here of me and my 9ft Griffin on the ground and in the air. My kite lines are like 50-75 feet long, so as you can tell this camera gets up there (in addition to the teeny tiny people).

lRLTr.png

9QhK1.png

ueAVP.png

zAXIR.png

KdpjS.png

Great photos and a good looking spot. Where is that?

I'm no dummy. I give that spot away, and the next thing you know, I'll be fighting the other kite fliers off just to be able to get onto the beach. :)

Biddeford Pool, ME.

I'll get a pic of the rig in august when we go up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...