KiteLife Forum

cheap kite -vs- quality kite

atcman42

I am flying a really cheap $10 kite. I am in the process of buying a quality kite, I have been leaning towards the addiction from the advice of some of you. What will I find different with a good kite in terms of the handling and the way they fly in comparison to my klunker i have now..???

Dude,

Quality kites come in different sizes, functions and flavors.

Are you looking to compete? Are you a recreational flyer? Do you want to do the latest and greatest tricks? Do you like (or care for) a certain amount of pull from a kite?

If you're relatively new and don't want to spend a lot on an initial kite investment, then I would suggest:

1. If you are still learning to control a kite and want one that will take a beating, then you need to get a Flying Wings Beetle. It'll fly from 2 to 15+mph. Most Beetle packages come with lines and a tail (for sky writing). The kite will fly in a light breeze, which will give you more chances to have fun.

2. If you can keep the kite flying with no unintentional crashes. AND if you want to learn tricks, get a Premier Addiction. This kite needs 5-8mph for some really good tricking. This kite always gave me the impression of a smaller version of the Elixir.

3. If you want some pull (traction/power) from the kite, then you'll probably be better off with a foil. Just pick a size and you can start wrestling with it.

4. If you want to compete, then there are a few competition level kites that don't cost much (around $150). Too many to list.

Let us know what you want to do. Then we will be able to narrow your search. We also need an idea of the windrange where you live.

Most junker kites need a lot of wind to fly. When they do fly they, don't track well.

Most kites are made to do certain things. This affects their personality. A tricky kite will feel faster, and spastic. A precision kite will feel more solid and will fly straight lines better.

When you get to the high end kites, the distiction between precision and trickiness gets vague.

Quality is like Oats.

If you want good quality food-grade oats, you can expect to pay a certain minimum price.

But if you are willing to take what's left after a horse is done with the oats, that will cost a lot less.

:censored:

Like most things in life you get what you pay for. I agree totally with Ikky and his suggestions listed. The Beetle is really an awesome kite that is really not that much more money than the 10 dollar junker. For beginners, this is the kite to have. The best thing about it is that it can take a major beating without hardly any damage at all - - which means that you will be in the air more than you will be in the kite shop getting replacement parts. I have witnessed my youngest daughter (7 years) drive the Beetle nose first, full speed into the hard packed dirt on our dry lake beds so hard that the kite actually bounces off of the ground about a foot...only damage was to the ground....and a little dust cover on the kite. They have nearly worn out the side of the sail by dragging it across the dirt surface at very hard speeds but to this day have not broken a spar or leading edge. I love it.

Granted the Beetle will not do many of the tricks as easy or precise as some of the other models out there, but it fly's excellent, controlls nicely, makes a fun buzz when really lit up in the air, can trick if you want to work it and costs under 50 bucks for the whole package. Anytime someone wants to try a dual line stunt kite for the first time I have no worries at all about them launching up the Beetle. Makes it nice especially if I have one of my PKC's sitting on the field :)

The Beetle will last you a very long time, once you get one I doubt you will want to get rid of it....even after you get yourself some of the more advanced kites. The Beetle will stay around for that one time that another beginner or even yourself just wants to put a kite up and have some stress free fun.