KiteLife Forum

New HQ Yukon for xmas! A question or two...

Mark909

Hello, so my brother bought me a HQ Yukon for xmas.

Ive never done sport kite flying before but am very keen to learning after seeing some beautiful youtube vids.

I have a couple of questions i was hoping someone could answer.

Ive been putting the kite together but am worried that im connecting the stand offs incorrectly. They bend around in a "C" shape. Are they meant to be this bent. Im worried about them snapping. I watched this dual line tutorial on youtube and the stand offs here have nowhere near as much pressure put on them as on my yukon

Another question. Im worried about breaking it the first time i fly it. Has anyone got any recommendations or tips for a complete and I mean a complete beginner.

I never realised this whole world of sport kite flying existed and am liking it more and more as i do more research.

Im from the uk by the way. If anyone knows of any clubs in the north especially around leeds it would be great to hear from you!

• Hi there, Welcome to the world of kite flying. The Yukon is a great kite to learn on, strong and easy to fly and able to do some basic tricks ( though you may want to upgrade if you really get into it and want to do more advanced stuff). Yes it's quite normal for the standoffs on the Yukon to be bent that much. Check your lines are both the same length - loop one end of each line around something solid and unwind the lines, both lines should be the same length within about 10-15mm. Start by flying in winds of 8-12 MPH if you can, this will be ideal for your Yukon - very windy days are NOT good for flying kites. There is an active kite scene in the UK ( I'm there too!) with a number of regular fliers and a club in your area. I I'll send you my email address by PM and if you send me your email I can send you a load of details and a copy of an online Kite book you'll find very useful.

• Like 1

I'm sure some of our English friends will invite you to fly with them!!

The stand offs should be bent, they act like shock absorbing agents to hold the sail in shape! Should feel tight and snug!! If they're the stock ones that came with the kite, they were specifically designed to work with that sail's shape!!

Beginner, eh!!! 1.- Relax, first piece of advise!! Breathe!!! It's not rocket science!!

2.- Check your lines and make them equal in length!! If you don't, the kite will want to steer itself and you'll have trouble controlling it!!

3.- If you're gonna crash despite everything you try, GIVE TO THE KITE!!!!! Let it, but step forward to the kite! This will lessen the chance of doing damage!! You pull and you'll accelerate the kite going into the ground! No fun finding out you've broken that new toy, much easier to go out and straighten out a whole. one piece kite!!

4.- If you don't have one, get a stake for holding your lines! Makes setup, crash fixing, and breakdown, all a lot easier! They usually have a holster to put on your belt while not in use!! Also nice to just stake out your kite while you're taking a break!!

5.- As you learn, try to keep your hands at waist level!! Think of it as home position, make a correction, then return to home!! Don't worry, when you start, everyone ends up in the "crucifix" position, arms way out, over your head!! Part of the learning!! But stay with it and soon enough you'll get those hands in place, learn control, start to breathe!!

3 stages of kite flying - 1. The kite flies you! 2. You fly the kite! 3. You and the kite fly together!! Once you get past stage 1, you'll see!! Enjoy and good flying!!!

I say this to every new two-line flyer:

From the beginning, think to yourself - pulling this handle makes the kite turn clockwise, and pulling that handle makes the kite turn counterclockwise. Get right and left OUT of your vocabulary and OUT of your thinking, except to describe the two sides of the 'window' (the part of the sky where the kite can fly well).

The reasoning is that when the kite is flying towards the ground, those misleading words are reversed. CW and CCW stay the same. This was the epiphany that stopped me from turning the kite INTO the ground when I meant to turn it back upwards.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to kite flying.

Especially around the 1:23 region. But usually the stand offs would be installed with the bend going away from the kite.

Also

and http://www.invento-h..._review_KaF.pdf although it is in German.

You might consider using an elastic band and larks head one end to the stand off and the other end to the lower spreader so that if it comes loose after a heavy landing it does not fly off and get lost.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1