KiteLife Forum

Calling all Rev flyers in Perth, Western Australia

SparkieRob

• 8 months later...

I kite buggy down in Rockingham in the weekends. Haven't flown a rev yet, but I presume the control is similar to four line foils.

Hiya DemBones. :)

Aye, controls are similar but much more sensitive...

If you've got any reasonable time backing a power kite down center window, should be no problem. :)

Nah, seriously - you'll have a blast, just be sure to do a quick review on tuning, loading the sail shares similarities as well, albeit on a frame.

Found the Rev forum yet?

Hi John,

I tried to register at revforum, but just got an error saying that the administrator is not accepting new registrations at this time. Sent an email to webmaster, but got no reply.

Last weekend I used a 3.2m race kite on 15m lines for the first time. Pulls like a demon, and is just waiting till your attention is diverted so it can spank you. I am hoping that time flying a rev will improve my ability to control kites like this, I have read elsewhere that this is the case.

Hamish

Kite is here, but not allowed to fly until Christmas.

Oooh the humanity! How did you go getting some lines? If they don't come before you go on holidays get in touch and I'll loan you a set. Looks pretty good out there right now.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, back in Perth.

Had the B out once in strong gusty wind, was much more difficult than I anticipated. Yes the kite was very sensitive like John said, but also didn't like strong winds or gusts. The controls are also different to what I am used too, the kite doesn't turn on the top lines.

• Like 2

Ok, back in Perth.

Had the B out once in strong gusty wind, was much more difficult than I anticipated. Yes the kite was very sensitive like John said, but also didn't like strong winds or gusts. The controls are also different to what I am used too, the kite doesn't turn on the top lines.

Wind forecast for this week is looking really good. Get in touch if you want to meet up.

Rob.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

What version of sail did you get? The wrong sail in the wrong winds makes it very difficult to learn!! If you have a full sail, look for winds in the 5 - 10 mph range! Enough to keep airborne easily, but light enough to learn the control it offers!! For higher winds and gusty conditions, a vented sail works much better at evening out the lulls and gusts, much smoother handling!! That's why the variety offered in the sails, to match kite to wind conditions!!

A couple of tips:

1. - Remember to adjust the top leaders to the length needed to handle the winds for that day! You will find a preferred knot for most winds, but that's why there are a bunch, to adjust!!

2. - Equalize your lines!! Take a bit of time to make sure your lines are even, adjust as needed!! A line either too long or short will throw out the balance and make the kite seem to want to steer itself!! Not a good thing!!!

3. - Lastly, and I see you're not totally new to kites but - Give to the Kite!! If you're going to crash - let it!! Walk forwards and take all the energy out of the crash!! Pulling on the lines just drives the kite into the ground even harder, risking breakage!! Don't want that!!

Have fun and remember to BREATHE!! You've embarked on a lifelong journey!!!

PS: Remember that the wind ranges from the advertising are only suggested, it tells you what the kite can do! But in the hands of a beginner, I suggest a bit less, but steady winds to learn on!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Ok, back in Perth.

Hi DemBones,

Great to hear of Another Perth Kiter.

I have a Couple of Power Foil Quads, some B Series Revs, Duals and Single Liners.

If you ever want to Catch up for a Fly with SparkieRob and myself, just shout out.

Any other Perth Flyers out there?

• Like 2