KiteLife Forum

Beginner two line (foil?) (with a few caveats)...Prism Snapshot? Symphony?

Rae

Hello,

I know that I have an unusual situation which is why I really need advice on getting started in two line kiting.

To start, I've loved kite flying since I was a kid but it wasn't until the last few years that I've had much of any chance to do it. Unfortunately, due to a degenerative genetic condition, I'm disabled but I'm sort of desperately looking for things that I can still do and enjoy (I'm not wheelchair bound but do use a walker and require O2) and kiting is top of the list. So, for the reasons listed above, I'm not in a place at this point that I can use a "powerkite" but I'd like to get in to two line kites for a little more interest. In addition, my genetic condition make all my joints very loose and prone to dislocation so I don't want a kite that will pull so hard that I dislocate a wrist, shoulder, etc.

I love the design of the foils and I'm a total newbie to multi-line kites but instead of a framed two line kite, I'd love a foil that I can learn on, can easily relaunch after crashing (using the walker to setup another launch would take forever) and I love that there's little to no setup or breakability. Portability is also a factor as it's really hard for me to work out carrying a 42" long kite case which a lot of the framed two line kites seem to require. I'd love to hear your recommendations...I've read a lot about the Prism Snapshots and have other Prism single line kites (don't laugh *too* hard) but I've also read positive things about the Symphony foils and I just want to get this intro into two line kites right...something that won't be dangerous for me with too much pull but that can handle wide wind variabilities and is easy to learn on and relaunch for the inevitable crashes. But I also don't want to end up so frustrated that I give up entirely and an interest that I hope will allow me to feel "abled" in a piece of my life again becomes a disappointment. Just FWIW, I'm about 5'3" average build (used to be really athletic but obviously can't now) so that may give some guidance on size of kite. Also, I may need an option for my husband b/c he'll always be with me, also enjoys kites and ended up really bored with the single line last time he flew it. So I can definitely see a similar need for him...although he wouldn't want to be dragged across a field or lifted off the ground, his 6' 220lbs would be able to handle more kite than I can...& I think he would find somewhat of a workout kind of fun...although the same ease of learning and relaunching would apply. And, I think he'd like to have a bigger kite than me. cheesy.gif But that's just a guess.

I would suggest looking into the Revolution kites.

The Snapshot is a great kite but any of the sizes can pull very hard if the wind is right. Plus being a two line kite, the Snapshots will be much harder to set up-launch-land in your condition. The Rev would be much easier, still give you hours of fun and you can fly it sitting down very easily. Launching and landing is a snap with the Revs and they pack down quite small - appx. 32 inches or you can get the Travel Frame for them which will pack them down to a little over 12 inches.

I would agree... a four line kite like the Rev or the Spirit (there are others I haven't flown) would be your best bet. They're pretty easy to learn to fly without crashing, but will challenge you for years to learn fine control. I comfortably fly my vented Rev in 20mph winds while sitting... you wouldn't be doing that with a foil kite.

Is there a way to find them at a more inexpensive price? With my ongoing medical expenses, I was hoping for something in the price range of the Snapshots...although those are sounding less and less like those will work for me at all. Can the Revolution or similar kites handle low and variable wind?

Thanks so much for your advice. This is the second time I've gotten the recommendation for the Revolution kites so I may have to figure out how to save my pennies and wait awhile before I can buy anything. If any similar style kites (that might be less expensive) come to mind or if anyone hears of someone selling one, I'd definitely be interested in it.

Thanks!!!

Been reading through this since your first post and it seems you got nice advice here :)

To be honest, even the more simple single line kite will require some walking at a moment. So this sport is something you will need to move and while playing and flying...this will not be a problem any more :)

You will be much absorbed by the game and flight that you will forget all the rest...this is the magic of kite flying :)

Now for which type of kite and for the winds you have, i will personally recommend a 4 line quad, Revolution kite.

They will fly in where and how you want them to and depending on the models, they don't pull.

Best thing now is that these kites are reputed to be social and flying shoulder to shoulder with the husband will make this even more fun...This will be something really exciting for him and you will be even more happy when you will see the joy in his eyes ;)

Now your issue is the cost of the packages - They are quite expensive and initial investment can be hard, but they take less abuse than other kites (dual lines) and require less maintenance other than proper handling when packing and unpacking. Some packages are delivered RTF (ready to fly) with two sets of spars for low and high winds...so you are covered in the wide wind range..still cost is the issue but believe me, it's worth it :)

Good luck in your quest and don't forget, it's a sport but FUN is the #1 factor :)

B

Awesome resource, thanks!!

And thanks everyone for the guidance. Sounds like I really need the framed 4-line kite. Are there any other brands that are decent other than Rev that might be less costly? I'm sure the quality is worth it and I'm gonna check out the used resources that were suggested but if there are others that I can look out for that would offer decent beginner performance (survive crashes) and still allow self relaunches, and at least some range of wind conditions, that would be super helpful to know.

<3

Try a New Tech Spirit. They're half the price of a Rev, and you can learn the basics on it. One good thing about the Spirit, it's rare that it will land in a position that it can't take off from. I enjoyed mine, and I only broke it once trying to fly in too much wind. That's why I have a vented Rev now, as well. I've resisted getting into Revs full on like a lot of these people, but I undertstand the appeal.

I wonder if you've considered a single line glider kite, as well. They're a little more fun than a single line that you just sit there and fly. Plus, you can fly them almost anywhere. I fly my glider kites using a wand, which would work well for someone who doesn't want to move too much.

~Rob.

Thanks for the info about the New Tech Spirit. I'll look into that now! Sounds like it might be more of a viable possibility.

Can you please explain more about what a single line glider is & what the wand is? I do have some single line kites:

I don't exactly have a crazy collection but do have a Prism stowaway diamond, Prism EO6, Prism Triad (technically that one's my hubby's smiley.gif ), one that was a gift that was a used kite that I've yet to have the chance to dig into (but it's a slightly larger single line), a smaller single line foil, and then a crazy semi box kite that we picked up at a beach shop off season that turned out to be a great little flier. Not exactly a top shelf collection but they're fun. No light wind ones though...closest is the stowaway diamond.

I don't know if any of those are glider-esque but I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks!!

Try a New Tech Spirit. They're half the price of a Rev, and you can learn the basics on it. One good thing about the Spirit, it's rare that it will land in a position that it can't take off from. I enjoyed mine, and I only broke it once trying to fly in too much wind. That's why I have a vented Rev now, as well. I've resisted getting into Revs full on like a lot of these people, but I undertstand the appeal.

I wonder if you've considered a single line glider kite, as well. They're a little more fun than a single line that you just sit there and fly. Plus, you can fly them almost anywhere. I fly my glider kites using a wand, which would work well for someone who doesn't want to move too much.

~Rob.

I've done a lot of searching an although I can find some info and listings for the New Tech Spirit Quad, most seem to be discontinued or older sites. I did find something called the Volksquad (people's quad) on the New Tech website and was wondering if this has replaced the spirit? Or are they different companies altogether?? Here's a link to the Volksquad: http://newtechkites.com/products.php?product=Volksquad-%28Twilight%29

I'd really be interested in hearing what you think.

this should fill you in on the whole glider thing...

http://www.kitelife....e-glider-craze/

I fly my glider in my living room when I need a quick fix !

Oh my gosh...I can't wait to read through this! Flying in your LR! How chill is THAT!!! :D

Thanks for the link, I'll read all through it.

There are a few RTF quads out there, like the Volksquad, Mojo, Spirit. I have only flown the Spirit, and can say it's OK. There are many more experienced quad line fliers here than me that would have a more valuable opinion than mine. The problem with the cheap quads is that they're not built as well as a Rev, and the linesets that they come with will have to be fiddled with more than a quality set. I know you can get a Rev for just a few more $$$ than one of these other quads, but then you have to get linesets and handles, which pretty much doubles the price of something like a Spirit. The Spirit still seems be be for sale on eBay, BTW.

You could also post a wanted-to-buy add on one of these sites once you decide what you'd like to fly...

I've been lurking, reading some of the info and agree for the most part!! But at the mention of gliders, it got my attention!! There's a whole new craze going on with gliders!! Some are so small, you can fly them in your LR or kitchen!! They also fill a big hole when there is such a light wind that nothing will fly!! Check out the article here on Kitelife about some of them available!!

I had no idea so much fun was at the end of one line!!!

• Like 2