KiteLife Forum

New product announcement from LS Custom Kite Accessories!

LS Kite Stakes

I now have the LS Magic Wand. It is an indoor single line kite wand with 3/8 inch carbon fiber tube, polished aluminum guides, and hypalon grips in your choice of blue, red, black, and green. They are 4 feet long, and comes loaded with 25ft of 90lb laser pro gold line. I will post a photo of the first one soon!

Cool! I prefer a wand like a fishing rod with one eye at the tip with the line running on the outside https://picasaweb.google.com/115363278179580176575/20100415Kites?authkey=Gv1sRgCMaD05vNg7ySxQE#5461395990443369570 (less resistance and less fraying ) and line control with two hands, think fly fishing. I also use a much lighter line.....just sayin' :)

Hey Walt,

That's an elegant looking wand you've come up with. I have a couple of wands for the gliders that I currently have, but I just read about converting old dual line kites into gliders... I'm thinking I could use another wand when I get around to this interesting project. Please let us know of your plans to offer these for sale...

~Rob.

JB, I need to make an appointment with for updating my site, it needs it BAD! Will talk with you soon.

I am selling these, I am making them to order ATM. I haven't figured out pricing, I want to show the first one to a couple folks first and test the waters. I got to make sure that they are a sellable product in the price range I have in mind, knowing how much it took to get the matierials I made them with. If someone preferrs lighter line, I can load it with a temporary line so they can pull through the line they preferr. I did look at the fishing pole style....

Only thing about the fishing rods is that they can tangle!! Running the line through the rod is really tidy, if you can keep line wear to a minimum!! I use both, prefer the through method if I can!! Doesn't add to the worry while doing a demo!! I converted an old flyrod butt section by cutting off the reel seat and adding an external ferrule to the joint that was already there!!Threaded the line through the blank, added a swivel to keep down line twists and like Walt, added a small keyring on the operators end to prevent the line from pulling through!! Plus I got a nice cushy cork grip to hold on to!! Works really well on my heavier gliders!! But it doesn't work as well on my lighter lines!! They will cut into the blank and you get an unintended hangup!! I use the top 1/2 of fishing rods on my lighter ones so far!! Even made a handle for it!! If you could make these with different flexes to go with different kites??? Just an idea!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SS, I'm lost. What do you use a "Wand" for ? :ani_giveup: No disrespect intended, but obviously, I'm going to have to get out more !

Instead of taking up or letting out line with your hands, you can increase and decrease line tension by sweeping your arm (different from the forbidden leg sweep :ani_whistling: ) . Not quite 11:00 yet, but let's go to the video....

Like idea of a passthrough wand, but think I would be immediately replace the split ring with a solid stainless ring. Prohibitively expensive at marine supply stores.... but lower spec ones are fairly cheap at the big box "hardware" stores.

ATB,

Sam

A simple key ring will do the trick!! For me, I use a wand for 3 reasons:

1. - Leverage! The extra length that the wand has, adds to my overall arm length!! This works really well with heavier gliders!! I find that I don't have to work as hard to keep it moving!!

2. - Eyesight!! My eyes aren't good enough to ever find the line if I ever dropped it!! So this method of using a wand helps me keep track of the line at all times!! It's always in my hands with that key ring on a finger!! I do use preset lengths of line for all but 1 glider, so far!

3. - Flex! I've managed to find wands that work with my kites, not against them! So far, every kite seems to behave differently from one another!! Each, IMHO, needs or uses a different wand to get the most out of them!!

I've seen many that don't need or want them, that's their choice!! But with my situation, using them works extremely well to make things as easy as possible and to enjoy gliding!! :ani_yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...