SparkieRob

HQ Symphony Beach

15 posts in this topic

G'day everyone. I got the 1.3 model for my boy (4 years old) to have some fun on while I teach my daughter (7 years old) how to fly Revs.

The kite cost AUS$41 and came in a great little pouch with everything you need to fly; instructions, winder with 25 meters of #50 line with color coded straps. Sail is a foil type made from Ripstop-Polyester and was well sewn and finish was good. There is a loop in middle on the trailing edge to attach a tail. The straps are detachable from the line so various upgrades are possible. The age is for 8+.

In 10kmh winds which was on the low end of its rating, 10-49kmh, it felt nice and neutral. Not enough pull to take off with my son so he was loving it. He held the straps and I guided with his wrists. It was quite nimble yet graceful in the air, responding to even the slightest tugs As the wind began to gain, his smile got even bigger as his arms were stretched out. Doing figure 8's was his favorite. A few gusts of about 20kmh had him a bit worried, he's only 4, so I called over my daughter. I let her take the straps while I launched it, just calling out instructions. She quickly was able to keep it flying without my help, doing loops and figure 8's and occasionally dive bombing me!

This kite is easy to control, quite responsive and just really good fun. Being a small foil there is nothing to break, a sharp tug or 2 is all it takes to relaunch and packs done to almost nothing. Great to throw in a pram for a family outing to the park. Can't wait to see what it can do in the higher winds.

Thanks.

Rob.

2 people like this

Create Custom T-Shirts

I recently gave my little cousin a go on the small foil!! Perfect kite to start off with. Put some tails on it and watch them forget about the Rev ;)

Good review! I'd feel confident in buying this for my cousin against the small Prism foil now.

1 person likes this

My boy wants to put a tail on, would probably be a good thing to slow it down a little for him when the wind gets up. He was telling all his mates at Kindergarden about it, now they are all wanting to come over to our house and play with his cool kite!

Higher wind update!!!

Wind was a blustery 41km/h! Upper wind range is 49km/h so it was right up there for this little foil.

Wow pretty much sums it up. Fast and responsive. Keeping the lines tight and finger tip control is all that is needed to make the Symphony rock and roll. To make incredibly tight turns short sharp tugs and almost right angles are achieved. Pull is quite moderate, I would feel very confident letting my little daughter (7yo) fly it in these conditions, might put the tail on though.

For $40, this kite is extremely good value for money.

Rob.

1 person likes this

I too own the Symphony 1.3. I bought it simply because it was a different flying setup than my usual delta stlye stunt/sport kites ive owned in the past. The fact that it didnt have any frame to break makes it really appealing for all ages, even though i am almost 30 and love it. As stated before it is very agile and nealry indestuctable. It does come down with a BOOM in a dive-wreck, but never shows signs of distress. Wrist straps are a nice touch over the toy style handles.

Excellent bang for the buck and takes up almost no space. get a couple! your friends will want to fly too.

Dust

1 person likes this

Prisms 1.2 and 1.4 are good choices as well. Similar size and speed. Lots of fun. I have a 1.9 and it is definitely for bigger kids; big boys only in high wind. I just bought a 4m Ozone Pure powerfoil to see how that goes. I've always wanted to do the large foils.

Bigger kids= 245lbs of me! And still almost lost it a couple times.... that was some nice wind :-) 20+

Thanks again,,,, it was fun. Sorry about the line :(

Not a problem Jim. Time for me to do some maintenance that I was putting off anyway.

I just ordered a Symphony 2.2!

Looking forward to something with a bit more tug. This will be my first technically "power" kite. Pretty excited, and seemingly big bang for the buck, though i have heard the strings may not be the best quality. :) we'll see!

Question: ? I've been enjoying all of the commentary, and adventures so much I finally got down to the bottom of the page... But, I have a new Prism Micron and wonder if shorter length of control line is advised, especially as a new kite design for me, and my status as a beginner ? If so, will this action and a tail enhance or hinder my learning experience? I've watched many pilots with more control do this and wondered if it takes skillful experience.

Short lines require fast reflexes with the Micron. If the winds are really low, shorter lines will increase your chances of getting the kite in the air, though. I think the stock lines for a Micron are 50 pound, 50 feet. The tail will help to slow the kite, and give you an idea where the little rocket kite went !

Thanks, ... yes it has 50/50 lines, and as you say sometimes just visually, its difficult to even follow this little rocket, especially at the beach, where wind can pump in the afternoon to over 20 mph. The tail which came with the micron is thirty feet long and actually is the only way I could ever learn to fly and turn accurately. Excellent fun!

I always found that the Symphony Beach 1.3, 1.7, 2.1 series were a bit sluggish due to line length and line material!

I much preferred the Symphony 1,2, 1.4, 1.8 and 2.2, series all of which I owned. The sail and line quality are a lot better as well as a better bridle !

I sold all of mine, except for a Lime 1.4, when I started flying Revs and they were not getting any air time.

Now it you really want some fun try a 1.2, in 15mph + wind on 120 foot or longer lines, ground passes are brilliant but you do need a clear flying area!

Bill

1 person likes this

Thank you Bill, I love to hear all adventurous flyers, w/ excellent experience. Yes, you are right, to really get my Symphony Beach 2.1 from HQ, up and going with some speed, I need to go to the beach on a +20 knot blow. It is my first foil, and I think I bought it to help feel the same as when I flew larger para-gliders. Flybubble keeps goading :gathering: me to get over there and do a tandem, but with all that travel, these days I'd rather just go down to the beach and get my kite on...

I've been looking more and more at indoor Rev's as an alternative when the weather gets tough and ruff...but it's still summer, and I got to go flying ... Cheers! :animal_rooster:

Bought a beach III 1.3 for my son, did not fly it yet, and a Symphony 2.2 Pro Neon used twice forr me.

Main difference between standard and pro is that the pro has sewn bridles vs knotted. Better bag and better lines. Supposedly they fly the same.

Today we had weak wind 3 mph gusting to 5-6 mph. It is listed for 5-31 mph, yet I managed to get it up and mostly keep it up at this wind. But not much pull. Flies very nice and responsive. Way better than my China foil at 10-12 mph. Can't believe the difference between 2 otherwise comparable kites. Now looking forward for wind and dry so I can get out with my son.

So my recommendation follows the other here. Get a symphony kite or 2.

1 person likes this