KiteLife Forum

Revolution - Rubber washers - UK

JohnCr

Does anyone know where I can get Rev 1.5 rubber washers in the UK? The ones that are used on the shock cord at the leading end of the vertical spars?

Maybe those in the know, know that you use rubber washers from something else, and buy a dozen at a time.

Thanks

John

Does anyone know where I can get Rev 1.5 rubber washers in the UK? The ones that are used on the shock cord at the leading end of the vertical spars?

Maybe those in the know, know that you use rubber washers from something else, and buy a dozen at a time.

Thanks

John

Don't know about the UK, but here in the US I go to any hardware store and get faucet washers. Some stores even have them on bulk. I always have several with me as with age, they tend to break.

• Like 1

I think Jim mans tap washers John. (Hope you dont mind Jim)

Another thing I have used is small bore fuel pipe cut into suitable rings.

Another one was those little clip covers that go over screw heads, not tried those myself but I am told you can hide the knot away then.

• Like 1

I like the idea of some rubber pipe. I'll pop down to my local hardware store and ask for some 'ose (old British Joke about 2 minutes into the following video)

Small zip-ties sound easy to fit if you can't get the knot undone on the shock cord. I just wander if there is a design reason for using rubber. It might give a bit more with a hard landing.

Thanks to all

John

Hi John,

IMHO, Jim Foster and Baloo hit the nail on the head. The faucet / tap washer will be a bit thicker than a standard rubber washer, and I should think that they would last a long long time. Go to the hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, or wherever) and ask for them. Hey, want a brand name - try Delta (cheap, cheap, cheap) :ani_victory:

Small zip-ties sound easy to fit if you can't get the knot undone on the shock cord. I just wander if there is a design reason for using rubber. It might give a bit more with a hard landing.

Thanks to all

John

Perhaps the hard landing is when the washers break. They are really not designed for what they are being used. I don't think a zip tie will ever brake, but can be easily cut away if removal is needed. I'm going to give it a try the next time a washer breaks. I have some small ties that I use for behind the dash wiring on street rods.

Sounds like a good idea Jim, if you do can you let us all know how you get on please.

Another note on this, looking at all my older Revs they all seem to use the fuel type pipe cut into washers, however all my old Revs came from the same place sio it might be a mod the guy I bought them off used.

Also let us not forget that you can buy them as spares, I know for sure that Theresa at Thekiteshoppe.com has them, however that will not help too much for us in the UK, although she will happily ship stuff. I would imagine Kiteworld.co.uk would be a good place to look in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine broke this weekend and I was thinking of threading the shock cord through the toggle(not sure what its called) and re-knott it, but then I thought there must be a good reason for the washer being there so a trip down to B&Q is in need.

How did you get on with the zip ties John?

Iain

Mine broke this weekend and I was thinking of threading the shock cord through the toggle(not sure what its called) and re-knott it, but then I thought there must be a good reason for the washer being there so a trip down to B&Q is in need.

How did you get on with the zip ties John?

Iain

An easy field fix is to tie the bungee cords together, but getting the washers is cheap!! Less than a buck for 10 at any good hardware store!! Keep some in your repair kit for fast fixes!!

• 11 months later...

knew i should have searched for older threads before i went to the hardware store - lol

i got four "little" m6 stainless steel washers that dont seem to have any sharp edges/finish to them...they cost all of 11c each... if they show any signs of wearing on the leading edge on the debut this weekend, im going to tie the bungee cords together, thanks for a great idea

I agree with Wayne 100%. I don't like metal near the sail either. Also, the metal washer has no chance of breaking, so upon strong enough impact it will push through the hole in the sail, or rip the entire reinforced section of the tip away from the sail.

I have modified two of my Revs drastically to reduce weight, but the sail is the strongest part of the kite. If I "oops" the kite -- and I've done it several times -- something other than the sail gives and I don't need to repair a nasty tear.

If you're curious about the mods, go to my gallery photos on the Rev forum.

• Like 1