KiteLife Forum

New kite advice

Tartdog

Looking into a basic kite and need advice on the following two, will mainly be being used on a relatively windy beach.

1) Peter Lynn Vibe 2. 1.6m

2) Salticus from kites4U.co.uk

Or any others in a low price bracket,cheers.

What is it that you are looking to do with your kite? You seem to be looking into parafoil kites, are you looking for something to pull you around, or just something to move around the sky?

As for the kites you mentioned, of the two, if it were me, I'd lean toward the Peter Lynn simply because I know the name. I'm not very familiar with kites4U, and they may be just as reliable a manufacturer as Peter Lynn, but I like to go with what I know. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with parafoil products in general. However, if my experience as a sport kite flyer has taught me anything, you generally get what you pay for. A $40 kite tends to fly like a $40 kite.

If you are still perusing the options for a parafoil, I would recommend taking a look at Prism and HQ. Both are well known manufacturers, and big names in the power kite industry in particular.

Hope that helps!

Aye, as Spence mentioned, it would help to qualify the question a little...

1. Looking for plain power-pulling, like getting dragged down the beach and jumping?

2. Looking to power a land board or kite buggy?

We've got a few really knowledgable power kiters on this forum, I'm sure they'll be able to help with a little more info. ;)

Another good foil manufacturer is flexifoil, I would highly reccomend the Sting quad line, it is great fun, and you can get it i the size you are looking at (I think)

Have also had Peter Lynn and Prism, and flown HQ, all very good.dont know about kites 4 u.

Just to clarify is it the Prism snapshot stunt foil the one you are recommending?

If you're just looking for something to spin around the sky you will want the snapshot. The Tensor series is really more true power kiting.

Don't know how big you are, but the 1.9 is plenty large for me and in high winds I get pulled around pretty good. I haven't tried the 2.5, but I bet that might be a lot of work.

Just to clarify is it the Prism snapshot stunt foil the one you are recommending?

If you're just looking for something to spin around the sky you will want the snapshot. The Tensor series is really more true power kiting.

Don't know how big you are, but the 1.9 is plenty large for me and in high winds I get pulled around pretty good. I haven't tried the 2.5, but I bet that might be a lot of work.

Yeah I do have a slight disability so don't think I will handle something too big, so snapshot would appear to be my best choice,cheers.

Just to clarify, I'm 19 stone and in winds above 12 mph, there is lots of pull. It can be a geat workout for a healthy person. It's effectively a parachute at the end of lines. Catches all of the wind and fast. I suggest you go for the 1.4. The 1.2 may be too small.

Just to clarify, I'm 19 stone and in winds above 12 mph, there is lots of pull. It can be a geat workout for a healthy person. It's effectively a parachute at the end of lines. Catches all of the wind and fast. I suggest you go for the 1.4. The 1.2 may be too small.

Yeah cheers for your advice, I am a big lad but do have a slight disability in the power in the arms,its the 1.4 I'm gonna go for,ta.

I have a HQ Symphony Beach 1.3 and it is a great foil to play with. I even did a review in the "Kite Review" section. Moderate pull in the higher winds, 40kmh+. Great value as it was $40AUS. Packs down to nothing.

I leave it all connected, unpack to fun in about 3 minutes.

The smaller dual foils are bloody good fun.

Rob.

G'day, my name's Rob and I'm a Revoholic. Help yourself to what's in my bag.

As Rob says, take a look at the HQ Symphony range, they are designed for fun rather than power and come complete ready to fly, reasonably priced too. The Prism foils pull pretty hard for their size whereas HQ's are much easier to handle. The 1.3 is about £22. they also have a 1.7 and a 2.1.