KiteLife Forum

'Top of the LIne' Restoration Help

snattsas

Hi Folks,

I'm a Newbie from Virginia that picked up a vintage 'Top of the Line', "Sea Plane Airshow/Shark Attack" single line kite at a local thrift store for $3.00. I would like to restore it to get my Grandson into the hobby. It is all intact except for the wing/landing gear carbon fiber struts. I have obtained the carbon fiber rod and have guessed at the lengths of the seven struts; I would like to be more precise with these lengths so as to have the best chance of having a well performing kite. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone out there happen to have this kite that would be willing to measure and tell me the lengths of the 4 different size rods:

Wing Spreader

Front Wing to Landing gear strut

Rear Wing to Landing gear strut

Landing gear Spreader

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well snattsas,

I wish that I could offer some specific dimensions to help you out, but I can't. Didn't find much on the web to help you out either. However, a couple of points for you...if anyone here knows, or knows of someone else who does have info to help you, you'll get a reply. Secondly, in my opinion, your estimates should be ample to get the kite flying even for the remaining parts in question. I don't ever recall seeing one of these (ebay has some new ones for sale approx 40 bux), but wish you luck. You'll be AOK...it's just a kite!

How old is your grandson? Depending on his age, if you ask around here, the 'gang' would also have some great ideas for his next kite.

Best wishes,

Marty

Pictures would help out... I've never seen this kite, but pictures might get you some good suggestions.

Found the one on eBay, is that it ?

Try contacting the guy selling them on eBay, maybe he could measure the different spars. Or just buy another so you both have something to fly...