KiteLife Forum

New to Sportkite!!!

efiniluvr

Good Day everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am quickly becoming a kite-addict after purchasing a Prism Diamond Stowaway at Pismo Beach (on a whim) to please my two young children. The kite took to the wind easily, much to my surprise as the memories of running to get a kite off the ground came rushing back.

The family and I just attended BKF this past weekend and had a blast!!! I've always been fascinated with kites and took the opportunity to have the entire family try out Prism's sportkites (Quantum to be exact). Everyone loved it in fact. So much so, they're begging me to get one. I've researched none stop, literally the past few days in search of a novice-intermediate sportkite. Although Prism was on the top of my list, I tried to be objective and look outwardly. Ultimately, most of you seem to agree that Prism Quantum and Hypnotist were the most bulletproof and easy to pick up. So now I am a proud owner of the Prism Hypnotist. In choosing the kite, I wanted something that I can learn, grow, and master before graduating to something grand(er). It is also my hope that I can find any and every excuse to go flying and make it a family adventure with my wife and kids.

I hope to master the basics and be able to perform some of the tricks that I've been salivating over while watching videos online. In the mean time, please bear my beginner questions. I promise to use the search box first before I post anything new.

Cheers

-Jeff

• Like 1

Welcome. Berkeley is a great festival and a long runiing one. You started in the right place. Just make sure you start with the basics like Turns and stalls. Prism has a great website to support their customers. Use the .gifs and videos posted there. Start slowly and build up. If you were at Berkeley I know there are plenty of people in the area and yo uare bound to run into them. Some of them may introduce themselves here as well. Everyone I have met has been very supportive and welcome to help. I am a newbie as well and am addicted to single line kites too (SLK's) If you're not careful you will get addicted and your kite bag will grow fast.

Good Luck.

Todd.

You made a good choice. The Hypnotist was called the Mirage when I got mine, and it put up with endless abuse... even being flown & crashed in a parking lot ! The whole time I had it, it only broke once when it got rolled in an angry wave. Water landings aren't always soft...post-786-0-42285100-1343790389_thumb.jpg

welcome! i too am a beginner and have aquired 4 prisms in 2 months. get the general feel of control first and don't expect the tricks to just happen, it takes time. i am barely getting tricks to happen at all but if you find some people to fly with i think it helps. I haven,t found anyone around here yet ;(

have fun!

p.s. click that little link at the bottom of must86's post..... the one that says youtube! :)

Welcome efiniluvr!

I agree with the above - when it comes time to move beyond flying simple spins, it helps to find some people who know how to fly tricks and learn directly from them. I spent almost a year and a half trying to figure out dualie kite tricks on my own (using dvd, internet, etc.) I almost gave up on trick kites entirely. That is, until I bought my Revolution kites.... Anyways, now I've found where the locals fly, and with just a little help from my new friends, and some practice, I'm doing tricks like K2000s, proper snap stalls, and I'm even cutting cleaner corners.

Good winds to you, enjoy your flying time, welcome to the forum!

Tapatalk 2 ~ Android

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jeff,

Just reading your post...Welcome to 'the family'. You'll find that you and your family will be meeting some really great people while flying your kites. My family flies regularly...seeing that you are in the Bay Area (which kind of narrows it down...lol), there are lots of great places to fly. We generally fly at different locales ranging from Alameda to Berkeley to SFO...even at Bodega Bay to the north. All are great locales. I'll send you a PM...feel free to come join us. Now, go check your email!

Update:

Those YouTube videos make it look waaayyyy to easy. I've finally had some flying time with the kite and after about 20 sessions, I broke one of the lower leading edge. Replaced it (bought a spare just in case), went out flying, and then find out the ferrule that connects the two lower spreaders snapped. Would anyone know the dimension of the carbon ferrule that I can replace it with? Most of the online stores, including the Prism's own, sells the entire lower spreader with the ferrule. I simply need the ferrule itself.

I now understand why everyone recommend flying with an experienced flyer. I've learned the basic stall but cannot move beyond that to the flare and fade....I need to get out to fly with some of you.

Thanks

-Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I thought that the leading edge ferrules on the Quantum were "a plastic material". Nonetheless, most of the kite shops that I know in our area e.g. Kite Shop in SFO, Highline Kites in Berkeley, Candy and Kites in Bodega Bay should have a composite ferrule to help you out. Candidly, even your local H/W store should have some suitable replacement. No...steel rods won't work...but they are hard to break...lol...just teasing!!! For online help, check out "A Wind of Change" in Las Vegas, or "Kites and Fun Things".

And, as a last resort, if we see you at the Marina in SFO, I'm certain that I've an extra one in my spares kit.

Hey Jeff,

You're on the right track...Let's see...Leading edge for Quantum is pultruded carbon. Hmmm, and I don't recall/know the exact I.D. of the Quantums L.E. so I'm not much help. However, contact Kent or Daelyn at the "Wind of Change Kite" link that you posted. They'll know exactly which diameter ferrel you'll need.