KiteLife Forum

Ok i heard the voices and here I am!!!

trigger

Ok I have received my Red/Black 1.5B today!!! It seems some colors are hard to come by right now, but I found this one at my local store (Mackites in grand haven,mi). I am pleased because after the Festival in may this year up there, they have managed to hook me on this sport and sell me 4 prisms in 3 months!

I didn't think I would move into quads so fast but i have done many hours and even days of research (nice of some forums to tell you in DAYS how much time you have been on...do they want my wife to divorce me). :ani_wallbash:

I am very excited to learn this new kite and meet some of you friendly folks! My goal was to get my Rev before the IKE fly at the end of this month so i could learn some basics and pick up as much as i can from the wonderful people there.

Thank you John for the great videos!!! I don't know if I will be able to fly on my first try, but you have given me all you can to help me succeed! (sure i will watch the videos about 30x's)

I will keep you all posted how I am doing. I just hope I get good enough to impress some bystanders and get a few more flyers in the area!

jim

• Like 3

after the Festival in may this year up there, they have managed to hook me on this sport and sell me 4 prisms in 3 months!

The Great Lakes Kite Festival is also what sucked my lovely wife and me in to the hobby! It was the first kite event either of us ever attended.

I didn't think I would move into quads so fast

Again sounds like me. I'm still holding out, though. I keep telling myself that it doesn't make sense to buy a Rev until I become more accomplished on my dualies ... otherwise, it'll take even longer to reach my goals on the dualies as I divide my time between them and a Rev. So far, that line of reasoning is keeping me from the dark side but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to resist!

• Like 1

Oh bad wind... i should have warned everyone there would be bad wind for up to a month after my purchase. Winds were about 20+ today and blowing every direction. They slowed to 12ish and i felt brave. I set the kite up, realized i had the handles backwards when i went to hook up the lines(not that i couldn't have switched them but.."black and bottom"). I had it set up perfect until i got back to the handles and it fell forward and ROLLED up twice towards me!!! Not that i am good... but not my first kite rodeo and the wind was strong to my back when i grabbed the handles..... ahhhh!

I did get her to cartwheel pretty nice just off the ground. Then the soccer field was needed... tomorrow is another day!

Don't worry Rob, you keep putting up them videos and i will still be inspired to learn freestyle! :-)

Jynx, looking forward to it also. Just asked for sat afternoon and i have sun off.

• Like 2

I am holding out too, but I intend to do lots of flying, learning, talking and meeting at the IKE retreat. I'll only be there on the 30th though. Bright and early.

Sorry I'll miss you at IKE. I'll only be there Saturday, unless the lovely wife surprises me and wants to go Sunday after she hears how much fun I had Saturday!

Fun for the whole family, glad you can go on the 30th. I am trying to get out early saturday also.

Well i can say i actually FLEW her today! Love the red in the sky, very Rising Sun!

I got her going up and landing super soft, hovering and some turning. Tried to slide and it did for a couple feet till it flew straight up. I also learned that when flying right, you need to Brake left to swing her back up, not throttle right. My wife is saying" didn't you learn that in CARS? Turn left to go right" in opposite world.....:-)

Well i have tomorrow off! Gonna get some flying in for sure! Time to watch the videos again, now that i have an idea what to expect.

• Like 1

I had a great time flying today, some really gusty strong winds, i am not sure if all the wierd happenings were mine or some the winds. Made an adjustment to the handles, less go, i was having trouble getting reverse, much better now!

I also took my thumbs off the top. I concentrated on flying with my fingers (index-up,ring-down) it smoothed out my flying 80%. I was getting confused pulling brake while pushing thumb :-)

Was flying forward/reverse both horizontally and vertically pretty smooth. I did a few spins pretty well.

The clock and i don't get along well! I can hover right and left but she gets away from me when i try pulling a handle. Am i supposed to initiate it with a some throttle or just a pull? How do i get it to 6:00? Ok, off to watch the videos again. :-)

Made an adjustment to the handles, less go, i was having trouble getting reverse, much better now!

I also took my thumbs off the top. I concentrated on flying with my fingers (index-up,ring-down) it smoothed out my flying 80%.

Gold, pure gold... You've hit on the biggest secret.

The clock and i don't get along well! I can hover right and left but she gets away from me when i try pulling a handle. Am i supposed to initiate it with a some throttle or just a pull? How do i get it to 6:00? Ok, off to watch the videos again. :-)

Clockwork is in it's most basic essence, 4 basic hovers with several dozen additional fractions in-between... It's those little notch-stops in the rotation that are where the real control comes from, whether we're talking about clockwork or bicycle rotations.

I'd guess it's getting away from you most often when the kite starts to rotate toward the leading edge down position... If so, it's the hovers in-between 3-6 o clock when going clockwise and 6-9 o clock when going anti-clockwise.

My suggestion would be to deeply explore the control in that rotation zone, then try your clockwork turns methodically, slowly, slowly speeding up (and deepening) the input as you become more and more comfortable with the hand transitions. ;)

• Like 1

Ok, 25mph or 0mph or a shifting 6mph? Ok so the wind has not been great but i am not discouraged! I love my 4d and it took a little while to get good with it.

My question is: sometimes the rev will feel really loose on the trailing edge and will end up folding over on itself(the bowtie spins on the leading edge- as if you were holding it on the ends of the leading edge and spun them opposite directions). I am not sure if it is wind direction changing or my handles aren't set up properly. There's a chance it happens more when i am trying to get some extra lift, but i am not certain. I does happen in light wind.

Also, what wind is the race frame good up to?

I am going to recycle everything i can this week so Mother Nature will be good to us for the IKE event :-)

Ok, 25mph or 0mph or a shifting 6mph? Ok so the wind has not been great but i am not discouraged! I love my 4d and it took a little while to get good with it.

My question is: sometimes the rev will feel really loose on the trailing edge and will end up folding over on itself(the bowtie spins on the leading edge- as if you were holding it on the ends of the leading edge and spun them opposite directions). I am not sure if it is wind direction changing or my handles aren't set up properly. There's a chance it happens more when i am trying to get some extra lift, but i am not certain. I does happen in light wind.

Also, what wind is the race frame good up to?

I am going to recycle everything i can this week so Mother Nature will be good to us for the IKE event :-)

When your Rev bow ties, it is because too much brake input is applied to one wing and the wind gets underneath and pressurizes the back. That is, too much thumb toward the kite. It sometimes happens to me when I'm mucking around inverted.

Extra lift, thumbs back, shouldn't contribute as the leading edge is into the wind.

A race frame doesn't have a specific wind range as it varies to which type of sail it's in. It fits in between a 2 wrap and a 3 wrap.

Hope this helps.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

ok it is official... i am a quad head!

Had a great time with IKE and 180go today with plans to do it again tomorrow. I still think the group flying is insane! i am sure if someone lived close by i would quickly venture into pairs... but nothing more! I would carry $80 and a new set of scissors with me every outing.

It was great watching other people fly and it put me at ease.

Jon, your latest video inspired me.... I had to dip the girl in Lake Michigan a couple times.... a couple wonderful vertical slides if i may add ;) we will see what tomorrow brings.....pictures hopefully... youtube HERE I COME!

PS, team flying is easier than it looks... Can be simple or complicated, and a good leader will take 3-5 other newer fliers and run through some simple drills almost anyone can do.

You'd be AMAZED at how quick you pick it up. ;)

Come out to WSIKF 2013 for the big Rev party, you'll learn lots! <grin>

trigger - throw the scissors away - please!! Looks bad, but most will tell you, it's only a couple of minutes and everyone is back at it!! Tangles are part of the routine, as you get better, there'll be less of them!! Been exactly where you are, but a bit of time and it's so much fun!!

Thank you Jynx for letting me use your vented!

It looks like these winds are going to be sticking around. Last night after my sons soccer game i took her out and the winds went from 7 to gusts of 17+ (i know cuz my wife loves me and got me a wind meter for my bday :-) ). I got some "look at that. Cool. Whats that, a kite?" And a couple premature "oooooohhh" and a couple laughs right before i ALMOST crashed into the ground at full speed... guess i don't have to change my name to.....DOESHALFADIVESTOPWELL....I finally got both parts down :-)

Guess i need to figure out how to get another sail into the house.... thank god those 1.5b's look the same to the untrained eye. My luck the wife will be watching me fly and say "wow hun, you are handling those winds better...your kite isn't flexing as bad..... YOU SOB, WHERE DID YOU GET THE MONEY FOR THAT?"

I did notice some stuff (slides) were easier with vented and stiffer frame. I have a stiffer frame coming.

Well i am sure enjoying it and started studying all the youtube videos to see what i can do better. So far i see keep it lower and slower! That is my plan for next week!