KiteLife Forum

Scratching the surface... (Rev water play)

John Barresi

That's some cool stuff, J & S. Gotta say, I'd like to see the natural color version, too. One thing I noticed... in this video and the Double Dippin' video, shorter lines, not the 'standard' 40 meter ones. After over a year of having a Rev, I haven't found a single other person to fly with, and I think the long lines are a handicap. I was told that I have to have the long lines if I want to fly with someone else, everyone uses 120s... So when you guys freestyle alone, you choose to use shorter lines ? Am I going to learn faster and clean up my act quicker on shorter lines ? What length do yous prefer when freestylin' alone ?

~Rob.

BTW... Nice videos !

For some reason, I can't see the video (Chrome on a Mac). When I click where it should be, I can see a selection block where it should be, but no video. I can't find it by searching youtube, either. Perhaps a naming conflict with the movie?

For some reason, I can't see the video (Chrome on a Mac). When I click where it should be, I can see a selection block where it should be, but no video. I can't find it by searching youtube, either. Perhaps a naming conflict with the movie?

Pete, it's called "Scratching the surface" and it's a Kitelife video.

Basically it's JB making something hard look really easy in an arty way...

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

If the wind and environment is good, I'm often on 120's... In the very lighter of winds though, I fall back on my 30 footers - becomes easier (with practice) to load and snap the kite around. :)

Regarding the video issue in Chrome, we just upgraded our forum software and I think the code it generates has broken for Chrome... I'll look into it, but for now you can see the video on FireFox or YouTube direct.

If the wind and environment is good, I'm often on 120's... In the very lighter of winds though, I fall back on my 30 footers - becomes easier (with practice) to load and snap the kite around. :)

Regarding the video issue in Chrome, we just upgraded our forum software and I think the code it generates has broken for Chrome... I'll look into it, but for now you can see the video on FireFox or YouTube direct.

Ok, in the three videos you posted, it looked like you, TK, and Spence were flying on what looked like 60'-85' lines. Maybe it was just caused by the camera distorting distance, I don't know. But... I haven't really clicked with the 120s, I'm used to flying my kites (duals) on 50'-85' lines, depending on wind speed. I'm just kind of looking for someone to say... 'cut those 120s down'. I've really decided to cut them, just want advice on a good alternate shorter length for a 1.5b full vent. (That's all I've got right now)

John, I also wonder if you're the camera person in the 2 videos that you're not flying ? (Spence & TK's) The camera work is exceptional in all of them, some of the best kite videography I've seen that's shot by a human, not a tripod. Good work, whoever's on camera duty !

I fly by myself, aside from the kids watching, and I'll grab my 80's first every time. I'm going to cut down a set of 80 into 30 and 50 for lighter wind work and to start practicing 3D stuff. IF you were to cut down your 120's a good multiple would be 85 and 35.

If the 120's aren't doing it for you, chop them to a friendlier length. Do you have 2 sets of dual lines of the same shorter length to have a go on to see if you like that? Might be worth a shot before chopping.

There is always more line...

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

If you can equate a whole group of things (time, effort, not having 120s when you DO get to fly with others) against money and/or effort, you might consider keeping the 120s and buying or making some shorter sets. You might even come up with a set of 10 or 12s for indoor/street flying. Long ago I made the transition from 150s or 200s (can't remember) to 30s at a festival, urged by Lee Sedgwick. What a rush! Things really happen fast.

Rob - if you have it, you really only need 90# line!! Maybe even 50# unless you don't like it!! 90# is surprisingly strong for it's weight and will more than handle your vented Rev!

I had forgotten that the only Rev you have is vented!! Most of us have some type of full sail for light winds - SUL, Zen, etc! But we usually only use 90# line, unless the winds are ridiculous!!

• Like 1