KiteLife Forum

Panying Eagle Kite

Pen

I'm a new owner of a panying Eagle kite ... with the reel handle ... anybody else flying one of these kites? I'm looking up videos and trying to determine how to use the reel by flying a wala with it for practise. Haven't tried hooking it up to my eagle kite yet.

I'm guessing it's you, Miss Penny Wearne!! I saw the reel - eagle combo used indoors at WSIKF this year, but the mechanics of it left me speechless! Does the reel have a short rod that the line runs through? I do know it's used like some use a control rod for their gliders! And a finger is used to wind the reel, but I didn't get a chance to try it myself!! All I remember is winding with that reel was way efficient and super fast!!

I'm known on FB as Wayne, some of the forums use stroke survivor!! Us Glider Geeks need to stick together!!

• Like 1

I've watched the videos Wayne... still guess how to actually hook the line up to the reel but did it and flew the Wala with it while reeling in the line with my right hand spinning the reel backwards and flipping the wala out with my left hand which was holding the reel... The eagle and I aren't too accomplished together yet so I have put it away for now before I totally smash it to bits. Gotta send Patrick a plea for more help.

I looked at the reel at WSKIF and saw the line ran in the yokes at the end of each spoke!! Then through the ceramic guide at the end of the rod attached to the reel! He used the reel in his left hand and reeled in with his right! Used the weight of the kite to take line and reeled when he had it closer!! My own judgement was that it had to keep moving, not a glider as we know one!! The Wala is a good choice for learning the reel I think!! Lots slower than the eagle, that's for sure!!

We keep our Walas moving a lot with our single lines in the gym... but I think there needs to be a lot more tension on the eagle to keep it higher. It has a pretty strong beak ... good think ... it hit the floor a few times nose first!

Did you make any adjustments to your Wala? I loosened the spine line to give the sail a little more sag and it seems to glide better for me!! Some like it tight to do loops with it!! I'd say try it outside if you can first, so as to not risk it hitting hard floors!! Like I said - it doesn't look like the eagle is a "true" glider as we know one!!

I haven't made any adjustments to the wala .. although while using the reel i did take off the 10' tail that I usually fly with indoors. Our group flies together on Wednesday mornings and we have two new fliers so I didn't get a chance to play with the reel then. But Monday morning I will give it another go.

• 2 weeks later...

Various replies appear to refer to the eagle kite and reel as demonstrated on all three evenings at the 2012 WSIKF. The flier is Sanjiu Fang *, resident of Bellevue, WA, recently of China. He is a regular flier at the Bellevue Crossroads Community Center gym at the 2nd and 4th Thursday night sessions (425-452-4874). He has been willing to allow other fliers try his reel system which gives him so much control of the kite. Fang is currently (Oct 2012) in China with his ailing mother, but is expected to return to Bellwevue soon. I have one of his kites, which he gave to my granddaughter, in my kite zoo. If you'd like to see it on a Thursday night, in his absence, call 425-746-6005 0r email ewbnmb@centurylink.net.

* - Fang speaks absolutely no English, but is often accompanied by his daughter as an interpreter. There is confusion regarding his name, i.e., given name vs. family name. His daughter's name is also Fang, but she says the two "Fangs" are different in Chinese characters. So we just call both of them Fang.

• Like 2

I would love to come for a workshop with Fang... but you're there on the west coast and here I am in southwestern Ontario (waiting for the "Sandy" winds to hit their highest tonight). I'm not sure where to tie the line ... at the moment I've looped it around the stem of the reel.

• 2 years later...

I would love to come for a workshop with Fang... but you're there on the west coast and here I am in southwestern Ontario (waiting for the "Sandy" winds to hit their highest tonight). I'm not sure where to tie the line ... at the moment I've looped it around the stem of the reel.

Hello, I am now a student of panying. If you are still involved, let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

John, panying is the highest form of single line kite flying. Sadly, there is no panying culture in the USA to my knowledge owing to the months long discipline of learning the style and a life long discipline of perfecting it. Given that the "old guard" of kiters are advanced in years, and arguably more interested in the making of kites, the strain of the upper body workout may simply be too much and too painful for arthritic joints. I am coming at it from the background of single line indoor kite mastery, so I have a flatter learning curve than most. Thank you for the courtesy of the reply. In time I shall make a YouTube video of my training. My regular channel is Glenn Mitchell Kites. BTW, it was fun watching you work the crowd on Bolstead at WSIKF15. Check out my WSIKF2015 video.

• Like 1

My panying rig came from China

Weifang Kaixuan Kite Manufacture Co, Ltd.

My contact is Monica Lou

Foe any readers who contact her at monica@kaixuankite.cn

Be sure to mention Glenn Mitchell. This way she will know the correct type of Eagle kite you seek. There are many different kinds of Kites called Eagle, only one is called panying.