KiteLife Forum

Didn't believe it until I tried it.

SparkieRob

I heard that you could run with your Rev in light wind to reclaim your ground but thought "surely not". Today I tried it and WOW! You CAN run with it. Just like JB says in the tutorial about Light Wind Flying, put your Rev inverted and apply loads of break......and run baby run. Walk backwards to fly then repeat. It is a real sense of achievement for me to do this as I can still remember cursing those days of real light winds only a couple of months ago. Now all I have to do is save up for my Zen.

Kite; SLE std with Race frame all around.

Wind; variable 4-8kmh

For all those that haven't subscribed, get on to it as the tutorials are worth it alone. Thanks John, have all the tutorials saved to my phone so I can take them everywhere.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 2

I could have tried that tonight... the wind was great 4-7mph when i got out after work. After 40 minutes of flying it really started to drop, I was watching my foot work and my pulls- I really need to watch that video again!

My field is used for the Apple Harvest Festival and it was DARK... If i would have run i think i would have found a few of the holes used for the tent supports.... I couldn't risk bending a handle!

I was able to keep her going pretty well at 3mph- std 1.5b with 4 wrap

I could have tried that tonight... the wind was great 4-7mph when i got out after work. After 40 minutes of flying it really started to drop, I was watching my foot work and my pulls- I really need to watch that video again!

My field is used for the Apple Harvest Festival and it was DARK... If i would have run i think i would have found a few of the holes used for the tent supports.... I couldn't risk bending a handle!

I was able to keep her going pretty well at 3mph- std 1.5b with 4 wrap

Why such a heavy frame for such low winds?

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Cuz i am lazy :-)

Actually i thought i had race frame in but discovered i had a 4wrap. I didn't bring my other frame.

I have been using the stiffer frame when possible to help with some control. I slide better with them at this point. Also the wind has really been getting up there and gusting, so i figure it is some insurance also.

I was impressed with the ability to go that low.

• Like 1

Thats a great idea about the race frame, butttt.......

Weatherbug is showing 20 - 30mph with 50mph gusts! Must be one of those great lake hurricanes you here so much about.

Can we say thank god for the SLE frame that came by mistake.

The wind was solid 30s here today with gusts that made it hard to breathe. I was thinking about taking out my 1.5b vent, but then thought again... Let me ask the Rev people... when you put both frames in, they go side by side ? What about the endcaps ? I mean, did I read something wrong somewhere... I could swear that I saw that you put both frames in when the wind gets nuts. I've been flying the 3 wrap in winds up to 20mph, maybe a little over at times, never saw the need for even switching to the 4 wrap.

~Rob.

The wind was solid 30s here today with gusts that made it hard to breathe. I was thinking about taking out my 1.5b vent, but then thought again... Let me ask the Rev people... when you put both frames in, they go side by side ? What about the endcaps ? I mean, did I read something wrong somewhere... I could swear that I saw that you put both frames in when the wind gets nuts. I've been flying the 3 wrap in winds up to 20mph, maybe a little over at times, never saw the need for even switching to the 4 wrap.

~Rob.

The second LE just slips into the LE pocket and friction holds it there without the need to retain it.

The JB Vtd is rated from factory, 4 wrap frame plus 3 wrap LE added, to 40 mph!

Rob.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

You could also look at it like using a heavy basketball, donuts on a bat, ankle weights, etc...

Once you pull a vented and/or heavy frame kite around below it's wind range, everything else just seems easier. :)

Remove all the end caps (vertical too), then slide the second LE in alongside...

Take care if you feel any resistance, try flexing the LE or moving the material to allow passage.

Once both LEs are in, cap the ends of the LE closest to the leading edge screen.

==

If you're still somewhat abusive on your kite or fly on rough turf, you might put vinyl end caps on the bare LE tips.

Crashes aren't really the issue, damage would be more likely to happen on hard tip jabs or spinning ground contact.

FYI - I actually had a factory B full vent with 3+4 wrap LEs in 60-65 mph, hover and super slow flight only, still leaning back like crazy.

Not recommended, but possible... At that point though, it's either time to go home or invest in an Xtra Vent. :D

You could also look at it like using a heavy basketball, donuts on a bat, ankle weights, etc...

Once you pull a vented and/or heavy frame kite around below it's wind range, everything else just seems easier. :)

Remove all the end caps (vertical too), then slide the second LE in alongside...

Take care if you feel any resistance, try flexing the LE or moving the material to allow passage.

Once both LEs are in, cap the ends of the LE closest to the leading edge screen.

==

If you're still somewhat abusive on your kite or fly on rough turf, you might put vinyl end caps on the bare LE tips.

Crashes aren't really the issue, damage would be more likely to happen on hard tip jabs or spinning ground contact.

FYI - I actually had a factory B full vent with 3+4 wrap LEs in 60-65 mph, hover and super slow flight only, still leaning back like crazy.

Not recommended, but possible... At that point though, it's either time to go home or invest in an Xtra Vent. :D

There was an excellent XTRA for sale recently. Good looking and great history but think the pilot was a bit of a show off ;-)....

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

. . . back on the light winds topic . . .

Light winds also give you and excuse to try a 360 - you'll gain ground along the way as you have to "run like crazy" (at least I do) to keep the kite in the air when it's on the back side of the wind window . . .

• Like 2

. . . back on the light winds topic . . .

Light winds also give you and excuse to try a 360 - you'll gain ground along the way as you have to "run like crazy" (at least I do) to keep the kite in the air when it's on the back side of the wind window . . .

Next time conditions, and space, allow I'm going to give a 360 a try! This light wind kiting might soon replace my morning run.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sent you a 360 last night Wayne. Geez, they're not as easy as I first thought! Set up at sunset with light winds, used my SLE with race frame on 80's. Was working on a few things then the wind just dropped. So I gave it a go. I wasn't prepared for how spongey zero wind was, makes sense now. First lap around I could keep it off the ground mostly. Second lap was all in the air. Third lap I tried to do a inverted long slide, several attempts but couldn't get it to work. So I did another to see if I could repeat and that's the one it did for you Wayne. Man, I used a ton of real-estate. Luckily cricket training had finished. Very tiring. Can't wait to do it all over again!!

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 2

I did plenty 360's in Cape Town this past weekend ... some because the conditions were that bad, some to show off the trick and one as a recovery from a bad situation.

Put on 35' lines, run a 360 and go straight into a catch and throw, back into a 360 .... repeat ;-)

• Like 3