KiteLife Forum

Prism hypnotist for comp. Flying?!?

zachprism01

I am curious as to what people think and the prism hypnotist to do tricks on and free style flying. What might be its limitations as well as some good flight lines and adjustments. I am trying to decide if I am going to step up to competition level flying how far would the hypnotist get me before an upgrade to a different kite would be needed. Any information would be great. Looking to do some slack line tricks and what not. Also what would be a good competition stepping stone kite? Thanks for the input to come!

Zachprism01

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Learn to fly on the Hypnotist, apply what you've learned on a QPro, Once you're confident with your flying skills, get a QPro. Although the Hypno and the QPro share the same sail shape, the difference is night & day. This is assuming that you want to stick with a Prism kite...

• Like 1

Learn to fly on the Hypnotist, apply what you've learned on a QPro, Once you're confident with your flying skills, get a QPro. Although the Hypno and the QPro share the same sail shape, the difference is night & day. This is assuming that you want to stick with a Prism kite...

I'm taking notes...

Tapatalk for iPhone.

As I've gotten better I can do more tricks on the Hypnotist, but I've progressed more and quicker on other kites. I bought a Premier Widow for a budget upgrade and I am finding it much more trickable that the hypno is on it's best day (for me). I had it made into a UL, but I'm sure there are other kites just as good.

Since you're in Tacoma you are in much closer proximity to great fliers out there than I am here in the midwest. If you can meet up with them and fly OPK (other peoples kites) to try them out, maybe you'll come across something that clicks with you. I listened and looked a long time before upgrading again to something I was sure I would like better.

Also, I finally made myself a couple of other line sets and the difference is huge. Have to have much lighter lines for slack line tricks if you are flying in the lower wind ranges. I didn't know what I was missing until I did that as well. Everyone can disagree with me on these, but I made a 80#/100' set and a 50#/70' set for my UL. The wind makes a huge difference on what line sets I use and it has seemed to pay off. The stock 150#/85' set for the hypnotist is really limiting because it's a heavy kite, but I have found I can get more out of it when I change my line sets.

• Like 4

I'll leave reviews of various kites to the other active fliers here, but I wanted to address one aspect...

A single kite generally isn't enough to stay successful in competition, particularly the somewhat heavier "beginner" or "intermediate" kites like the Quantum or Hypnotist... As wind conditions vary greatly from competition to competition and day to day, you may want to give consideration to the need for ultralight, standard and vented kite models so you're aptly equipped for whatever the competition day brings.

There's nothing like having only one heavy kite on a light wind day, or only a vented on a light wind day... That's the sole reason I'm not competing in dual line this year or next, because my Kymera is only available as a standard and I need a set of 3 variants to effectively compete. ;)

But also know, many other competitors are generally happy to loan whatever you're missing, even if they're in the same competition as you... Time and time again over the years, I've beaten other people's kites and also been beaten with my own, happily.

Don't let a lack of equipment be a discouraging factor, but it'll be useful to give consideration to what you might need tool-wise.

When I was competing regularly as a solo dual line flier, my kit generally included:

• Ultralight
  • Standard
  • Mid Vent (on and off)
  • Vented
  • 120' x 50# lines (UL conditions)
  • 120' x 90# lines (medium wind)
  • 120' x 150# lines (more wind)
  • 120' x 200# lines (high wind)
  • 90' x 90# lines
  • 90 x 150# lines

Longer lines for precision, shorter lines (sometimes) for ballet, changing weight and/or length offers different flight characteristics.

Food for thought, the list above is useful, but certainly not required to be a competitor. ;)

• Like 4

There's nothing like having only one heavy kite on a light wind day, or only a vented on a light wind day... That's the sole reason I'm not competing in dual line this year or next, because my Kymera is only available as a standard and I need a set of 3 variants to effectively compete. ;)

So John,

Can we expect a return in 2014 to dual line competition?

And new line of Kymeras?

Is that what the sewing machine was for?

;-)

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Well thanks for all the great information. That helps answer most of my questions plus gives me ammo for the wifey as to why I need this gear. Its not my plans anytime soon to compete but I would like to get more into the trick flying and gain skills in that area. To this point I have been attracted to the foils for the "arm pulling power" they posses. I look forward to the more skilled flying of duel like tricks as well as more REV flying. Thanks again it has been very helpful.

I'm only new, this year, but by the time near year rolls around I'll have 6 revs, and a dual foil. That is unless I win one, 977 if your listening RNG!!! I've given away a couple of delta duallies. What I've learned from many, many hours of back reading threads is that you'll eventually have TWO bags. One is your A bag and tha other is your "hey I've got one of those in my other bag, I'll put that in the car for next time" bag.

Don't be afraid to share, we are all family on here.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Hey Zach, Not to sound kind of preachy, but if you're bitten by the bug, you get it.I only started to fly this year as well. Spring break to be specific. The bug missed me when I was on vacation 5 years ago at the same spot, but I got caught by it (or West Nile, I'm not sure) this time. I don't know about everyone else, but I revel in it and I can tell you why.

Flying is a combination of the things I love most. I love being outdoors. I have always camped, hiked and enjoyed being outdoors. I also loved golf and sports of all types. The challenge of golf of trying to take into account so many different factors was great too, but the time involved wasn't. Flying kites with the challenge of the winds and environment is awesome. You have the challenge of learning the inputs and techniques as well as the joy of discovery. You can do it by yourself and/or with your friends and family. All of the factors to success is up to you. I use the time to be reflective and joyous and frustrated and joyous again. People build their bags to enjoy more flying in all conditions. It's just like having so many different types of golf clubs.

Don't think about it. Just do what makes you happy. Don't comapare the size of your bag compared to others. (hehe) Just enjoy it and the other stuff will come.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Just a stressful night and wanted to vent. Thanks for listening and the positive outlook. I look forward to good winds. As long as its not raining here in the pacific northwest (very rare) I will be out flying and learning.

Since you live in Tacoma you might look into the Pierce County Kitefliers Association. It has a number of competition fliers and welcomes new people. If you are interested in meeting a lot of fliers and possibly getting into indoor flying consider coming to the PCKA/WKA Christmas Party this Saturday, Dec. 1.

PCKA/WKA Christmas Party

Saturday, Dec. 1

Mt. View Lutheran Church, 3505 122nd Ave E., Edgewood, WA.

Noon - 5:00 pm Indoor Fun Fly

5:00 - 6:00 pm Set up tables & chairs for dinner and bag raffle

6:00 pm Dinner / raffle / auction

Dinner is a pot luck where PCKA & WKA provide the turkey and ham. Fliers bring side dishes and desserts.

Raffle and auction proceeds go to the local food bank and the World Kite Museum.

This invitation is open to all fliers.

Bob

Can we expect a return in 2014 to dual line competition?

Hrm, who knows, that'd be fun. :)

And new line of Kymeras?

Is that what the sewing machine was for? ;-)

Working on a beginner kite first, but yes, would love to come back and do a suite of new comp kites too.

Since you live in Tacoma you might look into the Pierce County Kitefliers Association. It has a number of competition fliers and welcomes new people.

Hear hear, awesome group. :)

http://www.pcka.info/

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hey, Kevin. I'm a casual flier and not into tricking duals, yet. I did have a Zephyr, an E2 and an E3, as well as other duals. I found the Zephyr to be a capable low-wind kite and was quite pleased with its performance and appearance overall. Of all the duals I had, which is nowhere near the number some of the people on this forum have, it was my favorite. Like I said, though, I didn't have a lot of high-end performance kites or the expertise to judge them as others can.

I'm sure a few others will pop in and share their preferences.

• Like 1

The Z is a really good kite, tough to do better for the $$$. I flew mine to shreds. Mine's almost 10 years old now, and still flies great, even if the trailing edge is coming unravelled.... 

The wind range is excellent, and it can do all the tricks. Two thumbs up !

P1070856.JPG

• Like 1

The Z was the first decent quality modern dualie I bought just over four years ago.  First time I flew it I thought, "WOW, so this is what a good kite is like!".  It was the first kite I rolled up, flew around & unrolled.  I had "Know Eye Deer" what was even going on but knew it was cool.  Flew it a bunch, broke it in a heavy gust, repaired the lower spreader then bought a second Zephyr as a spare.  Still a kite I fly often.  Guess I like it to say the least.  It comes ready to fly with decent lines, straps & versatile sleeve.  The lines that mine came with were 150# x 85'.  I like to fly on 90# x 100' lines.  50# lines are too light IMHO.  If the wind picks up I would go to a bit stronger standard kite.  You can fly in light wind if you want to work a bit.  Removing the upper spreader helps.  I like it in 4 to 12 mph winds.

Just my "For what it's worth"  SHBKF

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am only flying "real" stunts for a year and can preform a limited number of slack line tricks, but I can tell you that there is no one kite that is the best.

Pending on design and structure even the "elite" stunts are different in performance.

It's all about personal taste, skills and individual prioritization

Sent from my SM-G935F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2