KiteLife Forum

Treasure island 2013

mystainedskin

Thinking of going to my first kite festival this year @ treasure island. What can be expected?

The wife agreed to go with me over a month ago and the anticipation is now killing me........... Any details of past ventures may just hold me over for a little while.

While I haven't been to this particular festival, you will find at most festivals a gathering of people that enjoy kites, in all forms!! SLKs, dualies, quads!! You'll find a group that you relate to and find a place in there!! You will find it to be a friendly group, overall!! :ani_victory:

Go. Just go! I haven't been there myself (yet), but TI will have lots of Rev pilots there. Don't be shy, don't worry about your flying, come up and introduce yourself. Worst case scenario, you'll get lots of free advice and someone to fly with while you're there. Better - you'll get to fly in groups, and learn some new techniques. Most likely, you're going to make friends that you'll see at kite festivals all over the US. . . . and for a lucky few, other parts of the globe.

I'll be there at least one day. I'll be the guy flying the rev . . . ;)

• Like 1

I've been to Treasure Island event three different years and have had a ball every time!

Great venue, huge representation of skills, interests and regions... Well worth the trip. :)

And as SteveA said, don't be shy, folks LOVE to help out and share the fun, jump right in and say hi.

Alas, can't make it myself this year, just not in the budget.

Thanks for the replies. I have every intention on going,as it is only a short drive away(4hrs).

I almost enjoy watching as much as i do flying. Really looking forward to seeing other fliers of every type of kite.I have only met 1 other kiter in 2yrs,besides surfers and landboarders in my area.

On another note.... Merry Christmas to all! May it be a great holiday for everyone and their families...........and maybe some flying involved in there somewhere!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any deals on kites at the festival? Looking to upgrade from my EXP...and can't decide whether too wait or order one and have it for the trip. I recently got a Rev 2 for 20 bucks in great shape w/ handles...... So that helps on windy days.... But the decision for a new larger version is making my brain smoke.

Also, is there a difference in handles between the EXP and 1.5? As I was looking at a kite only purchase.

I know it's a little off topic , but any help would be useful in making my decision for the trip. Thanks in advance!

Handles are the same - just add some top leaders with adjustment knots on them if you haven't already!! Topic is covered thoroughly on the Rev forum!! If you're looking to upgrade consider the "B" series - all the improvements to the original SLE design have been incorporated into it!! Spendy, but worth every penny!! :ani_yahoo: I fly all 3 "B"s - std,mid, and vented, love 'em all!

Thanks Wayne...

I already have eliminated the triangles and use the leaders, top touch the bottom and maybe 2.5 in. Out On the bottom with 3 fairly close knots. Run the top all the way out most of the time and the bottom about an inch out. Guess that would be a fair amount of "brake"..sometimes I scoot the top in 1 or 2 but usually end up right back out. Bottom never moves. I have also started using these handles on the rev 2 with the same setup.

I was considering the B series standard.....would like a pro..and a blast 2/4. As far as the pro, I will get one by summer time more than likely and the blast.... Well I'm 6' 200+lbs... So it looks fun for low to mid wind days.I love the precision.....but power to get the blood pumping never hurts! I don't mind making the steps through the kites. I am a firm believer in.... You just have to do it to really learn it and its nice to have multiple feels and spares for others to jump in.. So far I fly daily... So I can see the "golf bag" filling up very,very,very soon. Hmmmmmmmm....almost time for a giveaway is it not?

• Like 1

If it's a "Pro", it's custom made and takes a bit of time to make! Unless you found a dealer that had something in stock!! Good on the handles - using that modification of eliminating the triangles, will cut down on possible line snags!!

I've survived a stroke, so no pulling for me, but I can see how others enjoy that aspect of the kiting world!! Having 2 completely different kites sounds good to me!! For me, because I love team flying. I've concentrated on getting the whole set of "B"s! That way we can all come to an agreement on what setup should work best for the whole group on any given day!! We'll match kites and/or frames as needed, to stay close to each others setup!!

PS: have you ever tried indoors?

PSS: Either I missed your mention of Dave, or you just edited your post!!

Here in the Northwest, indoor has been the only way to survive the winters!! Lack of winds or just too much rain, really limits you!! Indoors, we have a saying - The wind is always the same!!! :ani_yahoo:

I learned just about everything I know of indoor by watching and studying John's tutorials on the subject!! He really explained and demo'd all the basics that you need to start!! After that, it's just how much do you want to push yourself??!!

• Like 1