KiteLife Forum

What are your favorite Gliders at the moment?

John Barresi

Indoor single line gliders are booming...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite indoor gliders?

• Zen Glider (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • Migi (Daryl Yeh / Sunny Lin)
    • iFlite (Patrick Tan)
    • Wala (Flying Wings)
    • Emong (Flying Wings)
    • Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Zero-G (Prism Kites)
    • Borelli Glider (Nelson Borelli)
    • Skate (Into The Wind)
    • Manta (Into The Wind)
    • Hybrid (Horvath)
    • Urban Ninja
    • Chiroptera (Sturdy Designs)
    • Mini-Glider (Guildworks)
    • Tetrafoil S (Guildworks)
    • Mega Plutz (Ceewan)
    • Wala XL (Flying Wings)
    • iFlite Vented (Patrick Tan)
    • iFlite 2 (Patrick Tan)
    • Pterodactyl (Karl Longbottom)

Indeed, gliders are becoming more and more popular every day. :)

After you vote, post your favorite glider video(s) below!

==

Good references:

Article on KiteLife - http://www.kitelife.com/industry-news/the-glider-craze/
Glider Geeks - https://www.facebook.com/groups/232378193482957/

Please select your favorites (as many as you like) in the poll above, and DO let me know if another kite needs to be added - any suggestions should be "available" for purchase by others, somewhere, somehow.

NOTE: If a kite is added to the poll, you can always click the "delete my vote" button under the poll and reapply your votes, including any new additions - thanks!

==

My first real outing with a glider, in 2007, on a Borelli (I switch to the glider at 5:05 in the video)... I'd literally started flying one that day, and was suitably moved to fly it in a demo with Nelson Borelli himself looking on. :)

The GW mini-glider is a perfect little indoor flyer, great to get a flying fix when it's too nasty to go outside, small enough to fly & glide in the living room. The other one I have is a Tetrafoil S, too big to fly in my living room, but would work great in a larger space like a gym, or outside on a light wind day.

Flying the mini-glider in my living room...

P1050102.jpg

Something else to be mentioned, the Guildworks kites all came with a wand. I would never fly a glider without one...

(yes, the kite always hangs on the wall, ready to be flown...)

IMG_1041.jpg

I don't have a picture of my Tetrafoil S, but it's just like this one except purple...

TaperTailTetra.jpg

There was an indoor version of the 333, as well. I think it was called the Minergy.

Here's the Guildworks video that I just stumbled across. I guess the Minergy and the Decas aren't gliders, but the rest do glide if you let them. There are some quick clips of the Tetrafoil S.

http://youtu.be/2i9CgKXNcEs

After watching several videos...johns included. I was thinking of adding one to my line up. I'm looking forward to this thread growing. Unfortunately, I do not own and havnt ever flown one... So no voting for me.

Learning to fly a glider doesn't take long, and gliders aren't too expensive. I've seen some nice videos of the Emong, but the Plutz and mega-Plutz are the two currently available gliders that interest me the most. I think the Prism ZeroG is pretty much a Plutz, and very affordable.

I have seen Guildworks kites available on the used market. Last I heard, Guildworks isn't making kites right now, just the outdoor soft structures. It took 6 months to have my kites built when they were still in production. Worth the wait, though.

I started on the Wala (was Aerobe) Then grew into the Wala XL.

Both are really great, they glide well can belly launch and can still be used as a regular SLK.

I also have a Zero-G which is a very nice glider, I can get really good distances out of it.

Not so much a regular SLK, but a great Glider.

Yes the Zero-G was based of the Plutz design.

I got heavily into SL Gliders, but I have re-focused on Quad (REV) at the moment.

But if the day is too calm for my quad skills I will spend some time on the Zero-G too.

• Like 1

For the new glider pilot, an iFlite is a very affordable way to start! Around $35.00 for the small original, around $70.00 for the larger iFlite II ! Anything based on the Plutz design flies well too! I'm waiting to try the new Mega - Plutz, should be in my hot hands next week some time!! Really depends on how you want to fly - fast and manic or slow and graceful!! They make a great diversion from and a great addition to my Indoor Rev!

Wayne, if you got your mega-Plutz from the other Rob in the East, talk to him about whether he has any Guildworks kites left in the yard sale (if you're interested) That was the last place I saw GW kites available, other than seeing them on ebay once in a blue moon. Speaking of Blue Moon, does the BMK 61/49 count as a glider ? I kick myself for missing the chance of ordering one of these from KMac.

Had a go of a mates Prism Zero G and I must say it was very cool. The way you could work it around in the still air. It was my first glider and I liked it! Damn thing gave me string burn though, from a glider! And that fact that it looks like a bikini is a gas. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SR - try a heavier line on it!! You're not limited to only what the factory gives you!! I experiment with line weight all the time to see what works best with which kite! :ani_idea:

PS: that Zero-G will be small compared to my Mega-Plutz!! :cat_lol:

I have had an eye on the Mega-Plutz for a while now.

It looks like a sweet glider.

Had a go of a mates Prism Zero G and I must say it was very cool. The way you could work it around in the still air. It was my first glider and I liked it! Damn thing gave me string burn though, from a glider! And that fact that it looks like a bikini is a gas. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well maybe I should bring a glove for you next time....

;)

• Like 1

The wand itself is ~30 inches, and there is a winder on the end, so you can vary the amount of line that you let out. It can also be varied while you're flying, you fly with one hand, and manage line with the other. You can see most of the wand in the picture that I posted on the first page...