KiteLife Forum

Personal project: Can I Fly My Kite

Joel Wilson

As a personal project and hobby, I created a fun web app for kite fliers to find out if the weather at a specific location is good for flying. I'm posting it here because I think some of you might find it useful and I enjoy hearing feedback (good or bad) so I can improve it. Let me know what you think!

http://www.caniflymykite.com/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

That's pretty amazing. Usually I look at the tree tops & consult NOAA charts. Now if you could get forecasts for very specific GPS located kite fields it would be even more unbelievable. Or maybe let me know the next time to expect good conditions & with an alert function too. I guess the surfers have something like that for the waves these days. Some of us glider people are looking for zero wind so you might add that to your recommendations. As JB says, "just some random thoughts". But keep going, I like it. Putting it on the favorites bar now.

• Like 1

@Joe - yes they are real-time weather conditions! :)

@Dayhiker - Thanks for the feedback! I had not thought of people using gliders before...definitely something to think about. Yes it seems wind surfers have lots of attention in the app arena, so I'm not too worried about them. ;)

Forecasting is something that is very doable, and I'd like to get in place. I do like the idea of setting up alerts - maybe send an email or text message when your location is windy enough (speed chosen by you or not). I've updated my "idea book"!

This is as cool as it gets ! This idea is great Joel, and not meaning to be critical, but I'm with JoePickles, are you sure that this is real time data?

I just checked it out, on two on-line locations, and they both say that the wind is at 2 - 3 mph, yet your website says, "YES - Why not - 12 mph SW". So and I went out and checked, and it is actually 2 - 3 mph, 4 at the most. I'm just not sure that your app, is picking up the data, from the same place that the other sites are using...............

Great concept though ???? Please check it out............ :ani_victory:

Thanks for the feedback, Reef!

Unfortunately, wind is a finicky thing. Trees, elevation, hills, houses, etc...they all can muck things up. The data for CIFMK all comes from the Weather Underground, and they get their data from different sources, so depending on which weather station is closest to your location, you will get the most current data they have. For example, they a ton of weather stations in their own network that can be giving updates very frequently (every few seconds), but they also pull from government weather stations that only update every hour. If the only station near you is the government station, the wind speed reading may be a little stale. I've done a lot of research into getting current weather data, and they seem to be among the best.

See http://www.wunderground.com/about/data.asp

It might be a fun exercise to compare what CIFMK says vs what you actually experience! :)

Thanks for the feedback, Reef!

Unfortunately, wind is a finicky thing. Trees, elevation, hills, houses, etc...they all can muck things up. The data for CIFMK all comes from the Weather Underground, and they get their data from different sources, so depending on which weather station is closest to your location, you will get the most current data they have. For example, they a ton of weather stations in their own network that can be giving updates very frequently (every few seconds), but they also pull from government weather stations that only update every hour. If the only station near you is the government station, the wind speed reading may be a little stale. I've done a lot of research into getting current weather data, and they seem to be among the best.

See http://www.wunderground.com/about/data.asp

It might be a fun exercise to compare what CIFMK says vs what you actually experience! :)

Hi Joel,

Please, no discredit intended ! I think your idea is absolutely great. I love it, and i would love to use it. Also, please understand that I likewise, understand wind..........

BUT,

My location, right now, is Nags Head, NC. That is on the East (right) Coast of North Carolina. I have been outside, all day long, flying kites most of that time, and I can assure you, that it hasn't been blowing 12 mph, any time today, other than immediately prior to a normal, afternoon thunderstorm. I have struggled, just to keep my kites in the air, most of the day.

It's evening (night - 10:26 PM east coast time) right now, I just came in, from outside, and the air is barely stirring. I checked the local sites once again, and readings are at the 3 - 4 mph range. "Can I Fly my Kite", is still saying it's blowing 12 mph. It is not...........I don't know what else to say ! There are weather stations all around me, and very close by !

Right now, we have severe thunderstorms moving into our area, and in the next few minutes, it very well may be blowing 12 mph, and a great deal more, but I can assure you, for the last couple of hours - NOT !

Again, not trying to be critical, but just saying.......I'm here, I'm checking, it's not happening...........

Sorry for all the confusion Nick, and I of course mean well. ;)

I see what the problem is, and I don't know if it is a bug with wunderground or...what, but here it is: The default weather info given for Nags Head is from a station almost 40 miles away in Avon, even though there are much closer stations at the airports in Kill Devil Hills (great name) and Manteo, so I'm a little bit at a loss. Maybe it's the interesting geography there?

I'll see if I can't contact them and get an answer or workaround, such as showing the closest station instead of the "in network" stations for all locations.

I really do appreciate the feedback. I don't get a whole lot, so every bit helps tremendously.

Now that makes perfect sense. As I'm sure you've seen on the map, we are on a thin strip of land, out in the ocean. Yes, Avon is about 40 miles south of Nags Head, and definitely has different winds & weather conditions, especially since it is so far out into the ocean. What you said makes complete sense now.

As for this morning, even the wind direction is completely different. CIFMK says NO, I can't fly, because it is blowing only 3 mph out of the SW,

BUT,

here in Nags Head, it's actually blowing 10 - 11 mph, out of the NNE, so yes indeed, the conditions in Avon can be quite different from here.

BTW, I just checked the local reporting agency (?) at Avon, vs CIFMK, and both reported the exact same readings - 5 mph SE with rain..............so obviously, that's where the data is coming from.

This a really neat idea you have. Please continue. It will be of great help to all the flying community. thanks :ani_victory:

• Like 1

I use the "underground" all the time for winds locally, but there is no station really close to my field! I've checked the "other" stations in their page, but found none very close! But it does give me some indication of how the winds are on the day, close to my field! The only way to check for sure, is to go there and see for myself! Luckily, I have stuff for most all wind conditions and can fly almost every time, but I'm an exception to most! Plus if the wind is that bad, I've got an indoor facility close by to use!!

Idea is great, too bad they didn't have even more stations to get readings from!!

• Like 1

Hey Joel,

Don't check out on us. We like your idea. We like the website, and it's definitely a great (kewl) idea that you have come up with. If only you can get it hooked up with some real time data, and a pin-point location, on where that data is coming from, I think you'll have a WINNER !

Again, didn't mean to be too awfully critical, but, just saying, it wasn't telling me what it should................

Please keep at it............ :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Kite Romantic - yes unfortunately live data only exists where there are weather stations! Weather Underground partners with lots of people that set up their own stations which is pretty cool. If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, maybe you can get one set up near your kite field. :P

Nick - I haven't checked out yet! You aren't too critical; I love it! In fact, you pointed out what appears to be a little bug. I've posted about it on the Weather Underground's forum. Hopefully they come back with some good news!

• Like 2

Nick - I haven't checked out yet! You aren't too critical; I love it! In fact, you pointed out what appears to be a little bug. I've posted about it on the Weather Underground's forum. Hopefully they come back with some good news!

Just wanted to make sure that you hadn't given up. This is a really great project :ani_idea:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Penny!

I'm still around, just busy with work and other projects, but CIFMK is always in the back of my mind, and it definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I forgot to mention that a Weather Underground employee finally got back to me. Apparently the likely cause of the wrong station being selected is in fact a mapping bug and they are working on updating their maps this year, so hopefully it gets fixed soon!

A few things that are at the top of my CIFMK todo list are: better mobile support, "weather" page redesign, and auto-complete

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that a Weather Underground employee finally got back to me. Apparently the likely cause of the wrong station being selected is in fact a mapping bug and they are working on updating their maps this year, so hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Progress ! :clap2:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Can you add something like the following under "NO" (Can I Fly My Kite)...

(unless you're using urban / indoor styles or really work for it)

I'm pleased to say that in the last few years, I've come to know lots of folks who aren't real bothered by what the wind is doing... Also, it might be a chance to add definitive links or examples to such alternative, less wind-dependent forms of kiting. ;)

Food for thought, thanks for the effort - I understand work of passion.

• 4 months later...