KiteLife Forum

What Line Do You Glide On?

West Australian

I am an outdoor Glider Flyer.

I used to just grab any old line to fly my Wala's on.

The Wala XL always used the line it came with.

The Zero-G line got lost, and I started to use some cheap Dacron I had lying around.

Then I decided I should have some nice line on a decent winder, something neat.

I found I had 30m of 50# spectra lying about. I put it on a winder and away I went.

It is certainly thinner and lighter than Dacron, and I like it.

Smooth inputs and low glide resistance.

I am glad I put some effort into setting it up.

I have seen that Horvath has different thickness lines available, has anyone tried them?

What Line do You use for your Single line gliders, indoor or outdoor?

• Like 1

I am an outdoor Glider Flyer.

I used to just grab any old line to fly my Wala's on.

The Wala XL always used the line it came with.

The Zero-G line got lost, and I started to use some cheap Dacron I had lying around.

Then I decided I should have some nice line on a decent winder, something neat.

I found I had 30m of 50# spectra lying about. I put it on a winder and away I went.

It is certainly thinner and lighter than Dacron, and I like it.

Smooth inputs and low glide resistance.

I am glad I put some effort into setting it up.

I have seen that Horvath has different thickness lines available, has anyone tried them?

What Line do You use for your Single line gliders, indoor or outdoor?

I would say that it depends on both the kite, and the person flying it.

I know the Barresi family uses what might as well be an extremely long strand of hair to fly their Zen gliders on. I use 50lb spectra to fly my iFlight, or pretty much any indoor glider that I use. I have seen others, and have even used a variety of heavier lines as well. Some folks like the additional weight of the heavy line.

To break it down, larger types of kites should probably be using at least 50# line, and super light kites probably shouldn't be using super heavy line, but it really comes down to personal preference.

Watty is right on his input - lines are part of the way your kite works, in the way you're looking for! I use the line that came with my Wala, for my Plutz, Mega-Plutz and Frigate (Skate style glider)! Then I use an LPG made fly fishing leader material for all my small gliders -iFlite and iFliteII!! I also use a small swivel to take out line twists and it adds just a bit of weight!

I'm not big on using LPG, myself! I feel that it will "bite" into your skin if it moves too fast through your fingers! I've eliminated that by using a wand with all my indoor gliders!

The heavier line changes the glide for many gliders, it can be used instead of added weight in the nose!

Outdoors, I found that fly line backing does the trick! Comes in several weights and colors! Got 2 weights 20# + 30# in different colors to keep them straight! Still helps to wear gloves with it though, too much movement causes line burn!! Might try some fighter kite line sometime to see if I like that!!

It's all in what you are looking for and how you are going to use it!!

Thanks for the info guys.

Awesome to hear how varied indoor flyers are.

I will have to look up "Fly Line Backing". Not sure what that is.

I do get a bit of a friction thing going on with the 50# Spectra.

But I have the Hands of A Metal Worker, So I am not worried about string burn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I flew my Zero-G yesterday in 0-3mph wind.

Tried out some "Fused Braid" Fishing line 0.3mm Dia 20#

It worked really well.

I had a very positive feel on the line.

There was no friction or cutting issues for my hands.

The line is very light, the kite carried it well in very nice glides and climbs.

It is a Fluro Green which is easy to see in the air and on the grass. They make Fluro Orange too.

Has anyone else tried anything new recently to fly on?

My newbie thought about line weight varies as to how much length I will be using for the area I have to fly in at the time. If I am in a small area a light line seems to be my choice. If I am in a large field I start considering the idea that I don't want the glider to break the line & fly away. But I have put a Wala up on 500' of 20lb Dacron in a pretty good wind. That was the time the hawks came by to check it out. I have only had my new Zero G at the end of it's stock 100' line a few times. Broke my winder by stepping on it, made a tough wooden replacement. Recently, if I don't unwind all the line, I put the winder in my front pants pocket & seem to have less problems with tangling my feet in the line.

• Like 1

wow 500' is a pretty decent flight.

I used to decorate the sky with Single liners often.

All mine have 100m line, because West Oz rules limited kites to just over 100m altitude.

An easy way to prove a kite is not above 100m is to have only 100m of line.

I dont fly the Gliders when there is wind. I grab out the Rev's.

I had the Wala XL fly once with 3 tails, out 100m (330') in a moderate wind, on 100# line.

When I zero wind glide, I like to glide out as much as I can.

The Fused Braid Dynema fishing line was giving less resistance to the glide.

My gliders are mostly indoor critters! So length doesn't figure into my equation, just overall weight! That fly line backing I use for outdoors, is a braided dacron line used to fill the reel before you put the short length of fly line on! I use it for my Urban Ninja, the SLK I fly outside in low winds!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to get an Urban Ninja one day.

I will hopefully get one of the Horvath "Thermal" style gliders.

Their "The Long Way Home" looks sweet, but is so expensive.

The "C'est La Vie Freestyle" is what I am aiming for.

The Idea of doing a rising flatspin in a thermal sounds awesome.

I am loving the Fused Braid Dynema Fishing line.

I have a few weights now.

Really great response to my inputs, and very light weight.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer heavier line: The 'bridle line' that comes with the Wala being my favorite.

However, for lighter-and especially softer- kites, I'll go to something like 50lb Spiderwire, Horvath's 5, 7 or my closest broken dual line set.

The hair-like line that the Zen comes with, which I believe is a invisible thread ment for quilting, I'm iffy on.

It's practically weightless, but will curl up if it's been stressed and forms knots easily. It does work very well with the Zen, but I imagine not much else.

• Like 1

Hi Wen, Thanks for posting.

Sounds like you have a great selection of line.

I have three main Glider lines. All are Fused Dyneema Braid Fishing Line.

0.18mm 20# for Zero Wind on the Zero-G and P3

0.3mm 30# for mild winds on the Zero-G, P3 and Mega Pultz

0.4mm 50# for any windier conditions.

The Wala and Wala XL get flown on the Spectra they came with.

How are the Horvath lines, I have wanted to try them.

WA - I might be off, but I think the Wala and XL came with a type of dacron flying line! I'll be checking ASAP on that to see if indeed it has a core line or not!! But it is heavier and works really well on my Frigate and Mega-Plutz for indoor flying! I find that the heavier line helps balance out those particular models, the Frigate has a coin pocket in the nose to allow you to change weight as room dynamics aren't always the same! The Mega is so big that the heavier line is no problem to carry around, and the heavier line sinks to the floor faster allowing the kite more freedom to do things - IMHO! Plus for me, it's a bit thicker, making it easier to handle - again IMHO!!

Since I don't use my gliders outside, they each have a line dedicated for them! I do use the 20# and 30# fly line backing for my Ninja outdoors! Mostly the 20#, the Ninja flies when my Revs are grounded - and that's not too often!! :ani_giveup:

Well I checked, and sure enough it is a cored line!! I'm guessing it's someones brand of bridle line, looks a lot like the stuff I use as sleeving for my Rev lines!! LPG? :ani_wallbash::ani_idea:

Myself, I'm not keen on using an old flying line from my Revs, too "cutty" for me!! Allow it to slide through your fingers and OOPS, especially in knuckle joints! I really like that heavier line when the sail allows, much easier to handle for an "old fart" like me!!

Still need gloves for the backing line I use outdoors, let it slide, you get burned by friction!! OUCH!! :ani_wallbash:

Wow, Great info Wayne.

I don't really know what the Wala's came with.

One came with line that is covered in bumps and lumps, I don't know what happened to the line, but I do not use it.

One thing I do not like about the open Braided lines outdoors is how dirty and wet they get.

The Fused Braid line is smoother and does not pick up dirt and moisture so easily.

I have yet to get string burn on my Fused braid, which is very good.

The "cutty-ness" of a line is a major factor of mine. I have to be able to Pull in fast and let slip fast.

I like a light line because Lots of my Outdoor gliding is done with 100m (328') line let out.

The Mega-Plutz will lift it all above my head and glide out the full length too :) :) :)

Sorry on the Wala line, mine was nice and smooth! I use it with my Frigate (Skate) and Mega! And that's only part of one winder's worth! I have 2 Walas and still haven't touched the second spool! But at Lincoln City recently, I used both tails from the Walas on my Rev!! Who'd guess that 3 years after getting my Walas, that I get Revs that match the colors almost perfectly! :ani_victory:

• 3 weeks later...
I just got some New line for Flying My New iFlite Vented on.

It is a Fused Braid Dyneema Line my others.

0.09mm x 3kg

0.00354" x 6.6#

It is so thin, but it does not give any string burn.

Wow! 0.00354", super ultra light stuff like that is probably hard to even see!

How are the Horvath lines, I have wanted to try them.

First off, it's yellow. It feels kinda like the green spiderwire I have, pretty light and smooth. Doesn't cut the hands as much as spectra (I think) but I wouldn't use it for anything with too much pull.

Well I checked, and sure enough it is a cored line!! I'm guessing it's someones brand of bridle line, looks a lot like the stuff I use as sleeving for my Rev lines!! LPG? :ani_wallbash::ani_idea:

The guys who designed and produced it have always referred to it as 'bridle line' No idea what brand though. Probably just whatever the other FWK stuff is bridled with. :P

• Like 1