KiteLife Forum

Ripstop Weight

janola

I have a query with Ripstop.

I've been using a cheaper quality ripstop recently while I was starting out, but now not going to waste my time and money with it further.

I have been sent samples of 3/4 oz and 1.5 oz ripstop, but am unsure what their typical applications might be. Can someone throw a little light on this?

Its obvious that the lighter fabric would be great for windsocks etc, but to what size kite could this weight be used for.

And what might be a fairly typical application for the heavier fabric?

Its a bit of a curly one I know, with probably no hard and fast rules. But any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan,

There's no hard-fast rule on what ripstop to use.

I personally like my prototypes built from the .5oz ripstop. They hold up well in most wind conditions.

I've made .75oz ripstop versions of the same kite. It flies well, but I can feel the extra mass. It feels like the kite wants to do the tricks, but a finer control is needed to keep it under control.

The 1.5oz ripstop is stuff for banners. I have made a vented prototype that felt great! The frame is made out of p400s and the lower spreaders are g-force standards. Took a beating and handled winds from 6-13mph without the venting. After I put holes in the sail, it took (about)12mph to make it feel like it was pressured. The day that I tested it had winds hovering at 18mph.

By far, the friendliest of the 3 kites was the .5oz ripstop. Floaty and fealt very light on the lines. Some tricks were there and automatic, but others needed finer inputs. The .75oz has all the tricks and most of them are almost free, but the free-ness of the tricks can get the kite out of control if you're not paying attention.

Hi Janola.

The .75oz you have is a very typical, all kite fabric. Big single line art kites, quad line traction, dual line hot tricks. It'll do it all. And if you get it at a good price, just by as much as you can, then starting makeing kind of kite you want, pretty much. Indoor or ulta-lights kites should be made with a lighter fabric.

Otherwise, Ikky seems to have summed things up nicely.

Oh, one thing I'd like to add. I use alot of 1.5oz for edge binding and for leading edges.

Cheers,

P.

Janola -

There is a good article over in the KiteBuilder Tech Sheets at http://www.kitebuilder.com/techsheets/Fabrictech.htm

You might like reading it.

KiteStudio is also an excellent source for good quality ripstop. I have bought over 100 yards of material from them so far, and not a single piece to complain about. :)

ARRGGHH its a parabola!! I never was very good at those Dorsal. LOL

I've had an extremely quick scan at your link, but will read further as time allows.

Lucky for me (depending on how you look at it) I am in Australia, there are a few aussies lurking here I think, and as far as I have found so far, best prices for a good rip stop are Bainbridge.

;) Do I dare to step in to this conversation? For those of you who don't know I build Cody kites (HEY, there may be one or two that don't know). When building a Cody I almost always use 3/4 oz. with 1 1/2 oz. for reinforcement patches. I have built a few larger Codys that were over 14 feet in wing span and when building Codys that large I like to use 1 1/2 oz. fabric with Dacron for the reinforcing patches. Just thought I would share, I will go back to my corner and be quiet now :)