KiteLife Forum

OK, what's next ?

RobB

I've been enjoying my full vent & standard sail, but I see why the mid-vent is so popular. The full sail is too fast in 8-15mph, while the full vent is mushy. Soooo... I'm getting ready for my next kite, I've got to decide what's next. Instead of making an impulse buy like my first Rev, I want to weigh all my options.

I never liked the factory sail designs, and that's the biggest reason it took me so long to get a Rev in the first place. I like Bazzer's eyes, but the $$$ is hard to justify for a beginner like me. The Polo kites look really nice, I'm leaning towards one of those, but hear that they don't handle the same as a factory Rev. What other options are there ? Are there any other sail makers like Polo ?

BTW... I wore out my first bridle, I must be flying a lot ! Is there something I should do to make my next bridle last longer ?

They are eye catching..

I would think that they would be the same dimensions shape wise, as revolution tagged. Same frames- same bridle also, I would assume. Have you looked at any videos? Mad quad or the polo site? It looks to me that they perform just fine :)

Hey Rob,

As far as printed sails go, Los Hermanos bros. and Polo are the only 2 I can think of... Just picked up a Los Hermanos print, can't wait to take pics :) I'm sure it will fly well, though I've never flown one before. Cool look at a great price!

As far as the bridle is concerned, I'm curious as to which part of it you wore out.. I notice that I wear out the center loop (the piece attached to the sail above the logo) within about a year's time. Sorry I have no suggestions for making them last longer.

When you change out your bridle, you can use the old one to make new center loops, and to make new leaders for your handles. The vertical sections are long enough and work perfectly ;)

Everyone will definitely have different opinions on what to get, so might as well throw my 1.5 cents in.

I just returned from the rev clinic in Long Beach this past weekend. We had winds ranging from -3mph to 25mph, blowing from North to South to East, back to North, then to West, and everywhere in between. Basically, we had it all. I was flying a borrowed Zen one minute, then 30 minutes later pulling out my full vent. Now, having only a standard 1.5 and a full vent pro, I'm missing the middle range just like you are. The great thing about the clinic was the chance to fly a bunch of different kites that I don't usually have access to. I was able to fly xtra and mid vents in addition to a zen and a super-fun 5 stack of B2's. Having flown just about everything this weekend, I would say if the winds you usually fly in are between 0 and 20mph, go for a mid-vent. It's a great combo offering the smoothness of a vented sail with the crisp sail loading you get with a standard (and that a full sail just cannot produce in lighter winds). Plus, if you have a range of frames available, those three sails would really cover the majority of winds you are likely to encounter. You can fly your full vent well into the 20mph range, so unless you're flying in the high 20mph range regularly, an xtra can wait for your next order (it will come, someday...get ready).

Not having flown any of the masterpiece kites, I can't comment on the vent layout in comparison to the B-series paneling, but if I were buying another sail, I would go for a Pro model hands down. It may be a bit more costly, but it's worth every single penny. I have had a chance to fly everything from 1.5 to B-series to B-series Pro, and I can say there is a quite notable difference between the 1.5 and the B-series. The B-series takes the cake no challenge. Not only does the panel layout make a difference in the way the kite handles, but the material makes quite an improvement also. That said, there is also a notable difference between the B-series and the Pro models. Somehow, having Bazzer's fingerprints all over the sail makes those things fly on a whole new level. The material used for the pros is phenomenal, and the attention to detail is incredible. For example, the corners of the leading edge are folded over and sewn so there is no chance for fraying material. The sensation of flying a pro model is something not to be missed, and it definitely will make you glad you made the investment.

The real question becomes, what colors will you choose? Better get busy with that colorizer...

• Like 1

I've been enjoying my full vent & standard sail, but I see why the mid-vent is so popular. The full sail is too fast in 8-15mph, while the full vent is mushy. Soooo... I'm getting ready for my next kite, I've got to decide what's next. Instead of making an impulse buy like my first Rev, I want to weigh all my options. <br />I never liked the factory sail designs, and that's the biggest reason it took me so long to get a Rev in the first place. I like Bazzer's eyes, but the $$$ is hard to justify for a beginner like me. The Polo kites look really nice, I'm leaning towards one of those, but hear that they don't handle the same as a factory Rev. What other options are there ? Are there any other sail makers like Polo ? <br /> <br />BTW... I wore out my first bridle, I must be flying a lot ! Is there something I should do to make my next bridle last longer ?<br />

Bai Designs also do printed sails. They have a very cool printed mesh rev, worth a look. Don't let all the flowers put you off, they look very soothing.

Don't be too worried if your next mid doesn't fly the same as a Rev type mid, a little personality goes a long way!

I see a lot of comments from experienced pilots that if they could just get 3 Revs they would be a set of Shooks!

Don't think about "newbie" when getting your next kite, get something that makes you smile when you look at it. You'll remember THAT after the price is forgotten.

• Like 1

I've been waiting for comments on this topic. It is of great interest to me as I ponder the next shade of the darkness. I am really liking the "KiteLife".

BTW... I wore out my first bridle, I must be flying a lot ! Is there something I should do to make my next bridle last longer ?

Hey Rob,

Sounds like you better learn how to make your own bridles............I love to make them out of two different colors. I use one color for the long horizontal piece, and a contrasting color for the two vertical sections............ :cat_lol:

• Like 1

Hey Rob,

Sounds like you better learn how to make your own bridles............I love to make them out of two different colors. I use one color for the long horizontal piece, and a contrasting color for the two vertical sections............ :cat_lol:

Made my first 2 over the weekend, as I got the gift of a new one for free. Figured I should take advantage of it. 80# dacron from the local fishing store @ 10cents a yard. :)

Oh, and I still like those Shook kite's. He makes them in different degrees of venting (ie... 50% or 75%, etc). Best thing to do, to get the real facts, is to call Flying Smiles Kites, in Corolla, NC, and speak with Eliot (just google them). Eliot can fill you in on exactly what he does, and how, and what is comparable to a regular mid-vent Rev, vs a full vent............... Just a suggestion !

• Like 1

Everyone will definitely have different opinions on what to get, so might as well throw my 1.5 cents in.

I just returned from the rev clinic in Long Beach this past weekend. We had winds ranging from -3mph to 25mph, blowing from North to South to East, back to North, then to West, and everywhere in between. Basically, we had it all. I was flying a borrowed Zen one minute, then 30 minutes later pulling out my full vent. Now, having only a standard 1.5 and a full vent pro, I'm missing the middle range just like you are. The great thing about the clinic was the chance to fly a bunch of different kites that I don't usually have access to. I was able to fly xtra and mid vents in addition to a zen and a super-fun 5 stack of B2's. Having flown just about everything this weekend, I would say if the winds you usually fly in are between 0 and 20mph, go for a mid-vent. It's a great combo offering the smoothness of a vented sail with the crisp sail loading you get with a standard (and that a full sail just cannot produce in lighter winds). Plus, if you have a range of frames available, those three sails would really cover the majority of winds you are likely to encounter. You can fly your full vent well into the 20mph range, so unless you're flying in the high 20mph range regularly, an xtra can wait for your next order (it will come, someday...get ready).

Not having flown any of the masterpiece kites, I can't comment on the vent layout in comparison to the B-series paneling, but if I were buying another sail, I would go for a Pro model hands down. It may be a bit more costly, but it's worth every single penny. I have had a chance to fly everything from 1.5 to B-series to B-series Pro, and I can say there is a quite notable difference between the 1.5 and the B-series. The B-series takes the cake no challenge. Not only does the panel layout make a difference in the way the kite handles, but the material makes quite an improvement also. That said, there is also a notable difference between the B-series and the Pro models. Somehow, having Bazzer's fingerprints all over the sail makes those things fly on a whole new level. The material used for the pros is phenomenal, and the attention to detail is incredible. For example, the corners of the leading edge are folded over and sewn so there is no chance for fraying material. The sensation of flying a pro model is something not to be missed, and it definitely will make you glad you made the investment.

The real question becomes, what colors will you choose? Better get busy with that colorizer...

Interesting topic. I am curious can you tell a deference between the B- series and the B- series Pro? Do the kites have the same cut and patterns? I too have a std and a B- full vent and sometimes get frustrated switching between the two kites only to find too much wind for the Std and not enough for the vented? I guess Mid vent is the answer. So what would y'all buy a B-pro or a Polo mid vent? with out flying both I could not make a good judgment. The Polo kites look really cool but the best flight characteristics are paramount, I would much rather have a better flying kite than one that looks really cool but I struggle to control. What dose every body think???

Must86 I will be at Wildwood NJ and you can fly a midvent all you would like you can call me at 479 409 6597 to I sell REVS

Terry, I'm looking forward to meeting you. Hopefully the wind will be good before the crowd gets there, there's not much room to fly on Saturday & Sunday. I'm planning on just walking around with the family those days...

As far as the bridle is concerned, I'm curious as to which part of it you wore out.. I notice that I wear out the center loop (the piece attached to the sail above the logo) within about a year's time. Sorry I have no suggestions for making them last longer.

When you change out your bridle, you can use the old one to make new center loops, and to make new leaders for your handles. The vertical sections are long enough and work perfectly

The endcap location on the outer LE is where mine is about to blow out. That's a great idea to recycle the bridle material that's still good ! Thanks.

Rob - which bridle? Vented I hope! They don't last forever, I always have at least 1 for a spare!

Yes, the vented. I have at least 100 hours on it in the last 2 years. As soon as my supplier gets back to me, I have to order some replacement 3 wrap, 2 bridles, some endcaps... what else should I have on hand ? Maybe some Pro Handles... :cat_lol:

Not having flown any of the masterpiece kites, I can't comment on the vent layout in comparison to the B-series paneling, but if I were buying another sail, I would go for a Pro model hands down. It may be a bit more costly, but it's worth every single penny. I have had a chance to fly everything from 1.5 to B-series to B-series Pro, and I can say there is a quite notable difference between the 1.5 and the B-series. The B-series takes the cake no challenge.

That worries me... My standard sail isn't a B-series, and it's not as fun to fly as my B-series vent. I thought it was just the full sail & not being used to it. At my level, I thought that I shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Can the standard 1.5 be tuned to make it behave more like a B-series ?

Bai Designs also do printed sails. They have a very cool printed mesh rev, worth a look. Don't let all the flowers put you off, they look very soothing.

Those Bai Design kites look very nice. I like the fish & butterfly. The flowers will be perfect for my girls if they get into kite flying !

Hey Rob,

I should do that. I have a bunch of bright red bridle line. It certainly couldn't make my Teal Vent look much worse, it was stained by 'Red Tide' last year, so a red bridle is just too appropriate !

Oh, and I still like those Shook kite's. He makes them in different degrees of venting (ie... 50% or 75%, etc). Best thing to do, to get the real facts, is to call Flying Smiles Kites, in Corolla, NC, and speak with Eliot (just google them). Eliot can fill you in on exactly what he does, and how, and what is comparable to a regular mid-vent Rev, vs a full vent............... Just a suggestion !

I'm still looking for more pictures of the Shook kites, a purply-rainbow one would be hard to say no to...

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I am really leaning toward the looks of the Polo vent, but am worried about them not having the same crisp handling as the factory's sails...

Rob - never flew a Polo and only have flown a Shook once! The Shook felt very light on the lines, almost like a Rev2! But it was fast, quicker that a stock Rev, especially in a straight line! This was a 100%(full vent) model!!

Rob - never flew a Polo and only have flown a Shook once! The Shook felt very light on the lines, almost like a Rev2! But it was fast, quicker that a stock Rev, especially in a straight line! This was a 100%(full vent) model!!

Hmmm... is light on the lines a good thing ? I like to feel the pull of the kite to some extent. My full vent is light on the lines at ~10mph, and that's where I say that it feels 'mushy'. Kind of like light wind flying... it requires more work to get things done, and positions aren't as precise. The standard sail is too fast at the same speed, or my control just isn't good enough yet.

Some interesting insights here. This is my contribution. Get a mid vent of some sort, you won't regret it. In fact, all the official solutions work very well. In team we fly the Barresi mid vent, personally i love the Polo mid vent and of course if you like Flowers on your Kite we can make you a mid vent with the new printed mesh.

The reason i would personally (and it is a personal choice) take one of the printed mid vent options is because i like the feel of the single skin sail. It is just as effective at the upper end of the wind range but feels to me a little more responsive at the bottom end. There is seriously not much difference in weight between the Barresi, Pro or the singe skinbut to me it feels a little slicker. Of course the only true answer to which is the best kite is, the one you are flying at the time!

Just to muddy the water a bit more, why not create a custom design and we will get it made made for you!

Stephen

www.baidesign.net

• Like 2

I'm not too sure about how to compare it with other sails! I didn't find any moves difficult to do, it just was a different feeling from my "B"s! Haven't flown it enough to form a better opinion!!

Hey Rob,

Made my first 2 over the weekend, as I got the gift of a new one for free. Figured I should take advantage of it. 80# dacron from the local fishing store @ 10cents a yard. :)

I strongly recommend cored line such as is used on the high-end dual line kite bridles... Dacron sleeve over an unbraided core, makes it much stronger and more durable.

Interesting topic. I am curious can you tell a deference between the B- series and the B- series Pro? Do the kites have the same cut and patterns? I too have a std and a B- full vent and sometimes get frustrated switching between the two kites only to find too much wind for the Std and not enough for the vented? I guess Mid vent is the answer. So what would y'all buy a B-pro or a Polo mid vent? with out flying both I could not make a good judgment. The Polo kites look really cool but the best flight characteristics are paramount, I would much rather have a better flying kite than one that looks really cool but I struggle to control. What dose every body think???

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4117-b-series-vs-b-series-pro/

• Like 1

I must have missed something here. I always thought that all bridle line, had a Dacron sleeve, over an un-braided core ? I've never used anything but "Laser Pro", bridle line, in various colors, of course............ :gathering: Is there anything else ?

I must have missed something here. I always thought that all bridle line, had a Dacron sleeve, over an un-braided core ? I've never used anything but "Laser Pro", bridle line, in various colors, of course............ :gathering: Is there anything else ?

I used straight dacron with no core.....I believe that is what John was commenting about.
  • Like 1

I used straight dacron with no core.....I believe that is what John was commenting about.

Ok, I understand.............

Yep, probably ought to get yourself some of that "Laser Pro" bridle line. I use the 100 lb for Rev bridles. There are all different colors available..............

So here's the question after flying my 1.5 standard & 1.5b full vent back to back this week... is there that much difference between the 1.5 and the 1.5b, or is it just the difference between the full sail and the vent ? I can fly the vent SO much better. I struggle to control the full sail, while the 1.5b vent makes me feel like I'm really starting to get it.

If I made the mistake of buying the full sail for looks, I don't want to make that same mistake when I get the mid-vent. I'll settle for the blah looks if the 1.5b is that much better.

Rob, The vented kite is definitely a smoother ride, than any standard, especially in bumpy air. The B-series, as you know, has an entirely different panel layout, than the regular 1.5, which likewise makes a big difference. I think what you are feeling, is the combination of the two. My suggestion, would be to go for the mid, whether it be the B, B-Pro, Polo, or the Shook......... It's just a happy medium........IMHO :ani_victory: