KiteLife Forum

new 6.2 and it doesnt seem to work.

Cyphert

so i wanted to get into power kiting so poof i got a new 6.2 foil at an action last weekend and went out to fly it on monday. the lines were way off and i tried to adjust the top lines but left the bottom lines as is. it was super slow and could not make a full turn just a giant slow turn to then slams into the ground. think the brake lines are to short.i had them adjusted for maximum power and speed but i dont think it did anything cuz it was super slow. no idea what to do next.

i need help.

Hey Cyphert. Great to hear you taking an interest in Power Quad.

Now, Were you stearing it like a Rev Quad? Tilting the handles.

or were you flying it like a Dual line kite? Pulling on one side at a time.

The Power Quads I have are more like a Dual line kite with a safety brake line feature.

The rear lines keep the kite on the ground and operate the on the kite Killers.

A small amount of power control is available on the handles, but nothing like a Rev.

Certainly nothing could turn with.

Try fiddling with the brake lines in both directions and see what happens.

Also a 6.2 is pretty big, so dont expect much speed from it.

Remember it is designed for pulling not for tricks.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

• Like 2

After I had so much fun flying a Snapshot 1.2 I bought the 2.5 adding brake lines & the convertible control bar/quad handles. It was my first quad experience. Started out with too much brake & could not take off but could reverse launch. Adjusted the brake lines a bit more loose then tried again. Finally went to the least brake setting & did fine. I was done with the control bar after one session. Put it into the quad handle mode & entered the Darkside without knowing it. Learned to steer with the brakes & back the kite down from the top of the window. My kite will turn much sharper if I add brake on the inside of the sail as I make the pull turn. Or you might try a push turn with the opposite handle adding some brake. Thought the reverse launch was the coolest thing. Never did fly the control bar set up again. I did gain some needed confidence by having kite killers. Then I got some other kites & did not fly the 2.5 for a bit. Started learning the 1.5 SLE & failed to make the connection to lessons of the power kite. Later as I finally had my ah-ha moment I realized it was similar to the power kite just more precise & much faster. I kept the SLE leading edge in for the first ten hours or so. Now when I go back to the 2.5 it is like flying a slower Rev in many ways. I can fly with more brakes now due to my Rev experience. But now my power choice is the PB 2-4.

Power Blast 2-4 1.5 & PB 2-4

post-7709-0-22639000-1370484335_thumb.jp post-7709-0-88088500-1370484277_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Matt, it sounds like you might not have had enough wind. Just a guess... Too much brake could do that, too, I guess. You definitely don't want the brakes to be too loose, they help greatly in turning the big sail, and you should be able to fly up, apply brake, and fly back down. I can fly my 3.2 meter foil in reverse just like a Rev, just a lot slower. I don't have much time on my 7 meter foil, as it's too big and scary for me !

• Like 2

I have a Bullet 2.5 that I fly with a bar. Never had handles. I don't know how it compares, but it's designed to fly on the front lines (just like a 2 line kite), and the rears are just for de-power. It sounds like your rears may be too tight (mine noticably sag in flight) but also maybe the bridles for the fronts are mis-adjusted. If the angle of attack isn't right, it won't fly right. Good luck!

• Like 1

Matt - as others have said, sounds like the back lines might just be too tight...

Indeed, a power foil's back lines should sag, driving on the top lines.

If you don't have it fixed already, any chance of a phone video next time you have it out?

Might help diagnose - either way, see you in Lincoln City bro! :)

checked and repaired brake lines! i equalled out the top lines on the beach but didnt look at the bottum lines and they ended up 2 feet short. havent flown it sense i equalized the lines. but that does sounds like it was the problem. i think i can add a regular control bar to it. right now its dual with the safety brake lines that attach to my wrist.

• Like 1

checked and repaired brake lines! i equalled out the top lines on the beach but didnt look at the bottum lines and they ended up 2 feet short. havent flown it sense i equalized the lines. but that does sounds like it was the problem. i think i can add a regular control bar to it. right now its dual with the safety brake lines that attach to my wrist.

Now that you mention it I remember having the same issue when I added brake lines to my Snapshot 2.5. It was my first quad & I did not know to check the lines for top to bottom equalization, just left to right. It was something I noticed when I first set up all four lines but I did not get the importance of it all. Just kind of fumbled into a flyable set up. Later, as I started reading forums, I went back & did a bit more equalization on all four. I got them within six inches & thought that was pretty good. When I read about Rev fliers wanting them within one quarter inch I thought "Those guys are some kind of fanatics". Many lessons to go as I crossed over to the Dark Side. Now I've got everyone's help living the KiteLife.

• Like 2