KiteLife Forum

"best" kite to pull a 100' 3" tube tail

rexracer

I'm waiting for a 100' Gomberg 3" tube tail. I need a kite to pull it. I was thinking of the Prism Hypnotist, but then I was looking at the HQ Fazer XL. I would like a kite that can tow it in lower winds since we don't have the best winds around here. I also want some speed and quick turning ability.

I would love any suggestions, and reasons for those picks.

Also any thoughts on line length. I'm thinking 150', maybe more.

Thanks!

You're going to need at least 10mph of wind to tow a 100' tail with just about any kite. Also need that much for lines that long. That being said, you can't buy a much stronger kite than the Hypnotist, unless you look at a bigger kite. Something like a Thor's Hammer comes to mind...

I've towed some pretty long tails, in the past, but not quite 100 feet. I believe the longest was an 80 foot tube tail, and I towed it with a Premier Magnum, no problems. Again, it takes some wind (10-15 mph) to get all this going. I've also towed twin 75 foot tails, with the same kite, one on each wingtip, but these were straight tails (not tubes). I surely don't disagree with Rob's choice, but having no flying experience, with the Hypnotist, I will have to throw in the Premier Magnum (I have two), as a suggestion. So far as being a tank, and having ample lift to haul big tails, the Magnum will also do the job well. Both kites have about an 8 foot wing span, which is surely enough, and if it's an issue, both are priced very similar (around $140 +/-). I do know that the Hypnotist has some specialized parts, which may be unique to that kite, and probably available only from Prism (or Prism dealers), while in contrast, the Magnum is framed up completely, with simple, old school parts. The entire kite is framed with plain old (straight), SkyShark tubing, probably P300 or P400 (can't remember), but is readily available most anywhere, making it a real breeze to repair, should you become so affixed on watching that tail, that you fly into a truck, or something :cat_lol:

As for the lines, I made-up a set of 150 foot lines, sometime back, just to use up on the sand dunes (plenty room). I made them with 150# line, and to be real honest, that's pretty long. Without a good 15 mph plus wind, you get a lot of sag and drag, from a set that long. It's almost as if your input, becomes very "mushy", which I suppose it does. Again, a lot of sag and drag. A 100 ft x 150# is plenty long, to handle that 100 ft tail. Remember, the tail is not going to be hanging straight down, after the initial take off, so don't worry about dragging it around on the ground, while you're flying. With the sufficient winds, to fly this set-up, the tail will be well off the ground and following the kite..............

Good luck with whichever kite you choose...............both will do the job, and look great doing it........... :ani_victory:

(My first Magnum - the "Red Sunset")

post-4670-0-20293700-1371910689_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The Magnum is also a good choice. The important thing is that the kite is full sized (8 foot or bigger) and it has a robust frame. There's no getting away from the fact that you need a strong wind to lift a long tail & lines, though.

I knew I was going to need a good sized sail to fly that tail. That's one reason I was looking at the Fazer XL with it's 110" span. I don't really know anything about the kite, though...other than the specs on the website. The only stunt kite I have now is an old (1999?)Premier Ventura which only has a 68-70" wing span. I flew it for the first time since I got my first Rev yesterday. I don't know what the lines are, but I got about 4" of stretch when pulling them tight on the stake, and they're about the size of the sleeved LPG on my Rev. I may use some of my 50# LPG to make a set for that kite.

It'll be a few weeks until the tail is done, so I have time to get more input and do more research on a kite for it.

Is is backwards to buy a kite for your tail, instead of a tail for your kite? :wacko:

I've been flying some Gomberg tails lately on an E3 and a Delta Hawk using 85 foot and 100 foot lines.

I have a 50 foot snake, which is much larger diameter than the skywriter tube, and a 100 foot skywriter ribbon. I find the larger diameter tube is not that great as a tail. I want to order one of the tubes like you have ordered.

The skywriter ribbon is excellent, and, on the E3, I find it doesn't make the kite hard to keep in the air in low but steady winds unless I am using it at the beach and it is getting wet and picking up sand. Even then, I just have to get some good steady wind. I like to fly the kite alone at first, and then if it doesn't keep coming down due to low wind, I will put a tail on it.

Here is a video of the E3 with the skywriter ribbon where I was struggling to keep the kite in the air due to low wind that kept dying out on me. The ribbon did not make it appreciably more difficult to stay in the air.

I have to have some pretty strong wind to use the Delta Hawk in any event.

I think the Hypnotist ought to do it for you. It is really similar to the E3.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Hypnotist should be here Tuesday! I have a 150'x150# line set coming, too. Now I'll be ready when the tail arrives. I'm thinking on how to make a tail winder.

I use an ink pen with a clip to roll up the tail, but I want something that will work faster.

I'm sure you will be happy with the Hypnotist. I recently ordered a Jazz because it fits in a suitcase. I'm at the beach right now, and I had to bring my E3 and Delta Hawk in a guitar case and pay an extra $25 to fly each way. I don't think the Jazz will have any problem handling the tail.

Not that it's the BEST tail winder, but this is what I use... a piece of driftwood ! This is 150' of tails wound up...

Classic! Did you ever think of selling them? You could make millions! Pet Rocks, Beanie Babies and now custom driftwood Tail Winders! :ani_yahoo:

• 2 years later...

I recently flew a Prism 75' tube tail pulling it with a Quantum. I used a short 65' x 90# line set. For fun I held the end of the tail in my hand for awhile after launching the kite. The wind speed was pretty high, maybe twelve or so. The kite flew around the window with the tail slowing it due to the "third line" drag. I finally released the end of the tail & watched it travel toward the kite. Was hoping it would do something quirky but it just started following the kite as you might expect. Flying a kite with a tail longer than the line set was no problem at all. Well it amused me anyway....

Got to keep up my flailer image, SHBKF

• Like 1