KiteLife Forum

Learning a quad line

Michael E. Allen

I have wanted to learn to fly a REV ever since I ran across them on you tube. But at the same time I have looked for a video that showed the very basic's in controlling one. I have seen a few but it all looked confusing to me. I had been looking for the video how to fly a REV for dummies (me). Until today I found a video that is perfect for learning the very basics on keeping the kite In the air. I am so thankful for finding this because now more then ever, I know there is hope for me. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to it so I will just say thanks to Joe. I am so excited this week I will be looking for anything I own to sell just so I can get me a REV and start learning to fly. Sorry I don't have any kites to sell I only own two right now. One of which I just bought used from Charly and got it today.

If I can post link please let me know. If I cant that's ok .

Thanks, Mike

Quick someone call a nurse I think I got a fever....... :kid_drool:

• Like 2

I have wanted to learn to fly a REV ever since I ran across them on you tube. But at the same time I have looked for a video that showed the very basic's in controlling one. I have seen a few but it all looked confusing to me. I had been looking for the video how to fly a REV for dummies (me). Until today I found a video that is perfect for learning the very basics on keeping the kite In the air. I am so thankful for finding this because now more then ever, I know there is hope for me. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to it so I will just say thanks to Joe. I am so excited this week I will be looking for anything I own to sell just so I can get me a REV and start learning to fly. Sorry I don't have any kites to sell I only own two right now. One of which I just bought used from Charly and got it today.

If I can post link please let me know. If I cant that's ok .

Thanks, Mike

Quick someone call a nurse I think I got a fever....... :kid_drool:

Glad to hear it. Nothing wrong with posting links.

On another note, there are some good free beginner rev tutorials available here. Some videos are particularly helpful, like Line Management, Flat Relaunch, and Changing Frames.

• Like 3

Seeing as how you are a Kitelife subscriber, you have access to the premium vids as well. The videos on the web site Spence gave are actually hosted here. If you're logged into the KL forums, when you click on the premium vids at learnkites.com, the vids will pop right up for you.

The advantage to finding them at learnkites.com is the vids have a description. You can also get the vids through KL by going to the "Downloads" tab at the top of KL web pages.

• Like 2

If you get into Revs (funny, I said if), watch John's video on line management til you're sick of it! Pays off though when you finally hit the field and you can wind and unwind lines easy and tangle free!! :ani_whistling: Once you find a system that works for you - don't change it!! Do it exactly the same every time!! Make it habit, automatic, so much better than cussing at those messed up lines every time!! :ani_victory:

• Like 1

If you get into Revs (funny, I said if), watch John's video on line management til you're sick of it! Pays off though when you finally hit the field and you can wind and unwind lines easy and tangle free!! :ani_whistling: Once you find a system that works for you - don't change it!! Do it exactly the same every time!! Make it habit, automatic, so much better than cussing at those messed up lines every time!! :ani_victory:

Ditto, ditto, ditto.................I was just getting ready to post that, but Wayne has put it quite clear. And that part about, "until you are sick of it"........take that to the bank..........DO IT !

I would also recommend, in addition to the "Line Management" video, that you also take a few looks at the "Assembly & Disassembly" video, and the "Line Equalization" video. These are three excellent tutorials, made just for people that are new to Revs, but the info is invaluable. I'm sure these all sound elementary, but if they eliminate, just one really bad, frustrating experience for you, every minute you spent was "well worth it"....... :ani_victory:

• Like 2

All good advice. I have some myself for when you get a Rev. Whether it helps or not depends on one thing... Have you ever driven a skid steer or track vehicle? If so, flying a Rev has some control similarities to a skid steer. Keeping your hands together, Handles forward you fly forward, handles back you fly back. Right forward and left back and you rotate counter-clockwise, left forward and right back you rotate clockwise.

Even though it's different, the controls are similar, and if you have experience driving with 2 sticks, once you get the feel for neutral (hover) the controls will be similar enough where you should be able to control it enough to drive around the sky and get a feel for it. I watched John's videos and made the skid steer connection before I ever flew. I was doing dive stops in the first 5 minutes, and once I got the sideways hover figured it was just a matter of practice.

After a year I've now advanced to the point where I suck, but I can impress all of the non kiters around here who see me fly. :lol:

• Like 2

All good advice. I have some myself for when you get a Rev. Whether it helps or not depends on one thing... Have you ever driven a skid steer or track vehicle? If so, flying a Rev has some control similarities to a skid steer. Keeping your hands together, Handles forward you fly forward, handles back you fly back. Right forward and left back and you rotate counter-clockwise, left forward and right back you rotate clockwise.

Even though it's different, the controls are similar, and if you have experience driving with 2 sticks, once you get the feel for neutral (hover) the controls will be similar enough where you should be able to control it enough to drive around the sky and get a feel for it. I watched John's videos and made the skid steer connection before I ever flew. I was doing dive stops in the first 5 minutes, and once I got the sideways hover figured it was just a matter of practice.

After a year I've now advanced to the point where I suck, but I can impress all of the non kiters around here who see me fly. :lol:

That's good advice, thanks. I have driven a skid steer for fun not real good at it but I can manage. With all of the great advice on here I think I will be able to learn it pretty fast. I tend to learn things fast anyway. First time I got my hands on a dual line only crashed 2 times, but then again I just fly it. I have not done any tricks.

I to can impress others that have not flown a dual line, but put me beside a trick pilot and I'm not so impressive. :ani_yahoo:

• Like 1

I to can impress others that have not flown a dual line, but put me beside a trick pilot and I'm not so impressive. :ani_yahoo:

I know the feeling, exactly, but as someone famous, once said:

"You can fool some of the people, all of the time,

And all of the people, some of the time,

But, you can't fool all of the people, all of the time !"

• Like 1

That's good advice, thanks. I have driven a skid steer for fun not real good at it but I can manage. With all of the great advice on here I think I will be able to learn it pretty fast. I tend to learn things fast anyway. First time I got my hands on a dual line only crashed 2 times, but then again I just fly it. I have not done any tricks.

That is another thing that is so great about a Rev. I'll bet your first day out that you have good wind, you too will be doing dive stops and other things that other kites just plain cannot do. I've never tricked a dual line either, but the Rev can do some tricks really easily. Other that the catch and toss (very cool!) I haven't been able to do any of the fancy slack line tricks yet, but what it does in "normal" flying is trick flying to anyone but a Rev head.