KiteLife Forum

Rev Blast issues

Kirkey

Hello to all my fellow kiters, it's great to be a part of such an amazing and diverse group of people! I recently purchased a Rev Blast from Into the Wind but decided to get my strings from a vendor in china on ebay. First and foremost the line lengths were ridiculously off and were apparently not pre-stretched so I've had to do lots of adjustments to keep them even. But my main problem is my kite has WAY too much reverse authority. My handles have to be parallel to the ground for launch and foreword flight, occasionally to the point that my bottom strings cross my tops. I plan to eventually purchase another set of strings (might be awhile with my first child around the corner :ani_yahoo:) but I don't want to waste the ones I've got. Are there any suggestions on what I can do to get my kite in the air with less of a headache? Thank you all for your help and I look foreword to sharing my new love with all of you, happy flying!!!

We like to have a lot of brake (bottom lines), but sounds like you may have just a touch too much. First thing I would suggest, is to equalize all four lines, then do your adjusting with the pigtails, on the (hopefully) Revolution handles.

Good Luck............ :ani_victory:

ps....................Oh, and welcome aboard - lots of great info and help here ! Just ask !

Do your leaders off the handles have a bunch of knots on them Kirkey? If so, like in the pic, you can adjust/tune the kite by moving which handle knot you attach the lines to. If you don't have a bunch of knots with only one, you can/should make leaders with a bunch of knots. John has a video on kite tuning, you need to be a subscribed member here to see it.

Others will probably chime in with more specific info.

Handles-Pro-No-Snag-3.jpg

• Like 1

Get yourself some good lines now!! If the Ebay lines are dacron, then the stretch will always be there! No equalizing will ever take that out! LPG (laser pro gold) is the most common line used, little stretch, direct connection to the kite!

Always sounds like a place to save, but lines are your only connection to the kite, got to have good ones!

• Like 1

I agree 100%, Laser Pro Gold is absolutely the "best" way to go, and I read Kirkey's self-confession, concerning "the inferior lines" that he found on eBay, however, he was also quick to state that, "funds were currently allocated to more important things" (as in, "the Baby needs new shoes") :innocent:

I believe it's obvious to all of us, and now, to Kirkey, that he made a "newbie" mistake on the lines, but I understood that he was asking "us" for help (in the form of suggestions), just to get him by temporarily, with what he had ? I'm sure the he will be getting some better lines at a later date. I was only trying to help get him going (even if not under the best of circumstances). Didn't mean to be giving bad advice Kirkey. :ani_giveup:

• Like 1

No offence meant, Nick!! But it will be next to impossible to make do with dacron, as it will always stretch, and that unevenly!! If the lines are Dyneema, they should do OK after good equalization!

Got any questions on equalization?? JB has a good video on how to do it!! Pretty easy, just time consuming!! But doing it right, pays off in the long run!!

I have to add that I never thought much about lines. My first "real" kite probably has dacron lines. Never noticed a problem. I bought my first rev, which came with LPG lines and never touched that old stunt kite until last week. Keep in mind that I've been flying LPG exclusively for over a year, and I've made up line sets to the tune of 1500 feet, so that's what I'm used to. I staked out those dual lines and figured I'd check to make sure they were equal length. WHAT! they were like pulling on elastic. 85' lines were streching at least 4" by pulling them straight. I can't imagine trying to control a Rev with lines like that.

I'd say you have 2 choices. Buy a set of LPG quad lines, I think you need 150# for a Blast, or buy some sleeving and a spool of LPG and make your own. It's cheaper to make your own, and you can make different lengths for different conditions, so that would be my vote. :)

Buying the spool means cheaper alternative, just time involved to make a set! I figure you can make at least 2 sets for the price of 1 bought set, maybe 3 if they are different lengths!! All depends on time, money, involvement!!

Hope I didn't scare you off, just that lines are your only connection to what you're flying!!

Ive flown this kite and tried to adjust is for him (Kirkey is a good fiend of mine and he came here on my request) but i was unable to dial it down properly. It flies, but it is very strange and will "fall" outta the sky randomly.

I figured it was the lack of laser gold lines, but didnt think it would have been SO impacting to get it right.

I dont recall seeing knots on his handles lines (not like my Pro-B std) but we put some in. Each adjustment, seemed to always be "not enough"

So since we were all stumped, i sent him here. Glad there was such a quick reponse! he'll be super happy to see all you chiming in. Thanks!!

• Like 1

Ive flown this kite and tried to adjust is for him (Kirkey is a good fiend of mine and he came here on my request) but i was unable to dial it down properly. It flies, but it is very strange and will "fall" outta the sky randomly.

I figured it was the lack of laser gold lines, but didnt think it would have been SO impacting to get it right.

I dont recall seeing knots on his handles lines (not like my Pro-B std) but we put some in. Each adjustment, seemed to always be "not enough"

So since we were all stumped, i sent him here. Glad there was such a quick reponse! he'll be super happy to see all you chiming in. Thanks!!

What kind of wind did you have? If the wind was up where it wasn't an issue (above 8 mph??) then it sounds like something is wrong. You said you have a Pro B...how about trying your lines and handles on it? 90# lines should be fine for a test as long as the wind isn't up too high. If it still flies weird, then maybe the bridle is messed up.

That's the best I can come up with.

Well we took em both out today (My Pro has been flawless from day 1) and we took everyones advise to equalize the lines. Took em off the handles and kite and found the lines to be 1,2,and 5 inches longer than the shortest. So we took out all the knots, and put them all 4 equal. Put it back together and it flies 100% better!

I knew about the line equalizing, but wasnt sure if the Blast was different from the Pro-B. It took care of all the problems we had, and now we both happily buzz around the sky together.

Thanks so much for the advise! Also, he has Spectra lines, not decron (or what ever its called)

• Like 3

Well we took em both out today (My Pro has been flawless from day 1) and we took everyones advise to equalize the lines. Took em off the handles and kite and found the lines to be 1,2,and 5 inches longer than the shortest. So we took out all the knots, and put them all 4 equal. Put it back together and it flies 100% better!

I knew about the line equalizing, but wasnt sure if the Blast was different from the Pro-B. It took care of all the problems we had, and now we both happily buzz around the sky together.

Thanks so much for the advise! Also, he has Spectra lines, not decron (or what ever its called)

Great news guys ! As I always tell people - here on Kitelife, "just ask, and ye shall receive !" :ani_victory:

Glad to hear all is A-OK now ! :ani_whistling:

ps............Oh, and Dust............Good Work ! :clap;

:rev_clockwork: :rev_clockwork:

• Like 3

Yes thank you Reef Runner your advice fixed it all, thank you everyone else for responding as well they are all helpful hints and especially thank you Dust! It's always great to have a friend to fly and troubleshoot with! Once the lines were equalized she flew like a dream, and as soon we have another day with enough wind I'll fine tune everything and she'll be perfect. I'm excited to have remedied my problem with such ease, and I'm glad to have such a wealth of knowledge only a few keystrokes away! I cant wait to share this knew hobby with the rest of you and as always happy flying!

• Like 1

Yes thank you Reef Runner your advice fixed it all, thank you everyone else for responding as well they are all helpful hints and especially thank you Dust! It's always great to have a friend to fly and troubleshoot with! Once the lines were equalized she flew like a dream, and as soon we have another day with enough wind I'll fine tune everything and she'll be perfect. I'm excited to have remedied my problem with such ease, and I'm glad to have such a wealth of knowledge only a few keystrokes away! I cant wait to share this knew hobby with the rest of you and as always happy flying!

You are very welcome, and I'm really glad that you & Dust were able to correct the problem. As for lines, it's still the consensus, that Laser Pro Gold is tops. That should definitely be on your "wish-list", somewhere down the road, but at least for now, you can fly your new kite, learn, and enjoy it...........

I suppose that when I run into a problem, like you were having, I always look for the most obvious cause, and knowing for sure, that the Revolution kites are tried and true fliers, the logical explanation had to be the lines, and the only thing that is going to cause a set of lines, "not to fly", is because they are not of equal lengths (assuming they aren't broken). The right and left lines, must always be equal, on both the upper (drive) lines, and on the lower (brake) lines. You can get away with a little difference, from upper to lower, as long as both upper, and both lower lines, are equal with each other. As a normal situation, after a bit of flight time, you will begin to notice, that your upper lines, are just a little bit longer than your lower lines. This will first become obvious, as you pair your lines and wind then back onto the winder. You will eventually notice, that the upper lines are sagging, just a bit more than the lower lines, as you finish winding up. This is normal, and simply due to regular flight, where the upper (drive) lines, take a bit more abuse and stress, than the lower (brake) lines, causing them to extend a bit more. To remedy this situation, move your upper lines to the bottom, and your lower lines to the top, and then continue to fly as normal. Over time, the upper and lower lines, will eventually equal back out, and all should be well.

It's also good practice, to switch ends on the lines, occasionally. After a while, you will begin to notice, what appears to be a section of your flight lines, that look to be, a little roughed up. This is due to the lines rubbing against each other, where they cross during normal flight. Again, to spread this wear out over the length of the lines, just take the time one day, after you are set up, and disconnect each line, one at a time, and switch ends (kite end to handles, handle end to kite). This will shift the wear area on the lines, and help to extend their life span. You probably won't have to worry about that for a while, though, as your lines are somewhat new..............

Hint: All of this switching lines, from upper to lower, and from one end to the other end, will be much easier to accomplish, if you will proceed to set-up your kite (in the inverted position), just as if you were going to fly, or had landed, and then stake the handles to the ground. This way, you can deal with one line, or one pair of lines, at a time, and it will be much less confusing. Good luck, and remember - "This ain't rocket science"...............just close ! :doh:

Again, good luck and enjoy your flight :plane:

• Like 1