KiteLife Forum

Seadooooooo...

John Barresi

I am really interested to hear how you guys launched the kite... did you start from a dock, toss it, or water launch ?

I've pulled my canoe with a big single line, always wanted to try with a two or four line foil, just couldn't figure out the launch.

Glad to see you're having a good summer !

Very cool! I admit that I was suprised to see a full sail on 50#. I was thinking full vent on 90#. I've actually thought bout doing this on 50' lines.

I think my next choice will be 3-wrap MID with 60' x 90# lines.

The issue the the wake-free zones where the boat has to slow down...

In that situation, I'm looking at a STD w/Race on 90#, but staying in the speed zone, a MID should be pure gravy.

I am really interested to hear how you guys launched the kite... did you start from a dock, toss it, or water launch ?

I've pulled my canoe with a big single line, always wanted to try with a two or four line foil, just couldn't figure out the launch.

Glad to see you're having a good summer !

Now THAT is a funny story which I'm not ashamed to tell. :blushing:

So we're all packed up and I'm thinking we have my STD with the usual 30' x 50# street kit attached...

We're on the boat and I'm unspooling (in S-pattern) my lines onto the floor and back of the boat so it unfurls smoothly and I'm thinking to myself...

"Gee, there sure seems to be a lot of line here!"

"Ah well, %#&$@ it."

So we get it fairly well sorted out (lots of crossed fingers) and I go for the throw...

It keeps going, and going, and going, then SPLASH!!!! :ani_wallbash:

Yep, went out about 60' and it hit the water with totally slack 90' lines.

Hahahahahaha... Okay, think quick!

My driver starts throttling back and forth at my command as I'm literally lunging back and forth in the boat, taking up slack and releasing as the water is moving my kite around 90 feet away, at one point I was 1/2 way off the back of the boat until my driver reversed our direction... At this point I can sort of see the "4-square" in the lines as they enter the water, so I'm wrangling this thing, trying to get it sorted while my kite is submerged for well over a minute...

Then I realize I've got R/L handles switched and I sort that out... Now I have the right commands available, and 45 seconds of maneuvering got the kite to turn upright and breach the surface... Yes, amazingly, the kite stayed square to me the entire time (even when slack - amazing considering it hit the water upside down) and I was able to do an upright 2-tip drag as my driver increased the throttle a bit, I dropped the excess water, and voila... One loop to the right, no twists or tangles and I was off and running! :kid_smartass:

Hoots, hollers and a bit of "WHO'S YOUR KITE DADDY" all around. LOL

Yep, the kite gods were with me that day! :ani_whistling:

==

Next time, we'll likely go up as a pair (TK and I), launching on 60' x 90' off my usual dock...

May have to get creative with sandbags to allow a smooth launch, or possibly a tricky launch while on the dock, then into the boat as it starts to move.

==

BEAR IN MIND:

The Willamette River is quite slow near downtown PDX, doing this sort of flying is joke and a wrong move can easily toss you in the water, break your kite, lines or a myriad of other things... If you're going to try this, I really truly suggest starting on something like a golf cart or pickup truck at moderate speeds in a wide open area.

Also, we're working around both public and private property so respect is PARAMOUNT... We started off with slow work, up and down the river a bit, simple control and mostly straight behind the boat so folks (particularly the Coast Guard, local Police and water authorities) could see what we're working with.

Fortunately, there is only one electric line crossing where we flew (probably 75' overhead - only passed it once and I kept my kite in a stable hover down near the water) but your environment can present VERY real dangers... I don't suggest this sort of flying for a simple "yahoo" impulse, it should be taken very seriously - do your homework, scout the site, test and prove your abilities incrementally BEFORE you jump in.

And please remember, the outcome affects a great many people, not just the flier(s) actually doing it.

Courtesy, control and discretion.

Very Cool ! How fast was the boat traveling ?? :ani_victory:

Average was probably around 12-14 mph, although we did top out around 25 mph...

I kept telling our driver to slow down, as my 50# lines and Race frame were screaming at times, even on the edge of the window. :wacko:

Will we look forward to the Powerblast 4-8 video where you's pull the seadoo side/backwards up and down the river!? LOL

Ehhhh... No. :kid_cheerful:

• Like 3

You know, that was just awesome ! Love the backstory, too. I am so glad you got it on video. There's no way that I wouldn't have tried that 20 years ago when we were out on the water every day, if I had only been more into kites at the time... I traded my power boat for a canoe & kids, so, at least I can take my kitebag to an uncrowded beach, and if the wind is right, get my Power Sled to drag me there.

How are you going to top this ?!? :cat_lol:

• Like 1

A friend has a pontoon boat and Candlewood lake is right here, so I would do it there, on 50' lines, if I give it a try. I have done some water flying, but I think I would dock or island launch

Will we look forward to the Powerblast 4-8 video where you's pull the seadoo side/backwards up and down the river!? LOL

Ehhhh... No. :kid_cheerful:

I don't know, John. Might be a way to top this trip. Powerblast 4-8 on 500# lines, bungee around your waist tied to the boat... could be fun! :w00t: