spblat

What do do in high wind?

Had a fly on Jan 1st and it was BLOWIN'! In the high 60's km/h with gusts into the high 70's. I had my PoloVTD still with the 3 frame out on 120's. Glorious!!

Wind energy was large to say the least. Biggest I've flown.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

Had a fly on Jan 1st and it was BLOWIN'! In the high 60's km/h with gusts into the high 70's. I had my PoloVTD still with the 3 frame out on 120's. Glorious!!

You are nuts -- I'm lovin' it.

My max wind to date is 65mph, full vent factory B with double 4 wrap leading edge and 150# lines.

Everything (even forward flight) was a controlled hover, one burst of speed and VOOOOOM! Big load up.

I also tend to sit up to an inch lower on the foam so the main pull is centered off in my fingers (less surges).

• Like 3

No Thanks! I like my shoulders right where they are now, and fully intend to keep them there. Anything over 25mph turns me into a spectator.

I do remember that gusty Sunday at Lincoln City, when they took the sound tent down for fear it might blow away!! Pretty sure we were getting gusts around 35 mph, Still on X/Vs, I had a 4 wrap in, still using 120' x 90# lines! Pretty sure there were a dozen of us in that line!!

I'm big on flying in what you are comfortable in. But a lot of the time for me, the wind and my free time don't get the memo...

1 hour ago, John Barresi said:

My max wind to date is 65mph, full vent factory B with double 4 wrap leading edge and 150# lines.

Everything (even forward flight) was a controlled hover, one burst of speed and VOOOOOM! Big load up.

I also tend to sit up to an inch lower on the foam so the main pull is centered off in my fingers (less surges).

It really helps me to read these type of descriptions as I can now realize what has been going on in similar situations I have experienced.  Thinking back on a recent high wind Rev session with my B2 I get it.  I now understand that I was also gripping lower & mainly hovering.  Just didn't have the perception of a master flier to retain any learning.  But that's me, Know Eye Deer.  So with understanding comes repeatability.  

Thanks for the insight, SHBKF

• Like 3

• From this Atelier Transfer kite video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNH6zj8yKQ ) I'd say: Get yourself a kite and lines that can take it and try to learn to deal with the wind (veeery easy... :)). What is shown here is something I didn't expect was possible - this kind of tricking close to the centre of the wind window in these kind of winds. Normally, when the wind increases, tricking takes place closer to the wind window edge instead. Notice the effect of the wind on the pilots and also the speed of the kite.
  • Close to the ground the wind is also lower. Quite recently I flew on a field on the leeward side of a low hill with a hardly detectable slope and experienced a thick ground boundary layer of reduced wind speed - get to know your field to figure out if it offers any possibilities here!
  • When only having access to the 4D in winds that were good for standard kites (but not for the 4D) I discovered that for figure flying triangles were good. Picture one side of the triangle quite close to the ground and the two "ground corners" almost at the edges of the wind window. The last corner is close to the top of the wind window. Everywhere along the path power is now reduced, especially where turning.
  • A trick that is actually helped by non low wind is the sleeping beauty take off. When the kite close to being in the dead launch position with its nose close to the ground the wind helps to lift it up. When being not so far from the centre however, this launch can feel very sudden - first the light flick to spin the kite on the ground, then sweep/pull both arms and then bang fully powered.

Wind like that is why they invented VENTED kites !

• Like 1

It didn't look too bad until it started spinning...

I went out and did this in high wind...

I love flying my supersonic in high winds as well.

Sent from my IPhone
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2016 at 8:00 PM, SparkieRob said:

New Year's this year topped out just under 90km/h and that was an experience to say the least. Definitely don't do it if you aren't comfortable or have faith in your gear. You can get away with shorter lines in big wind to keep you under the higher layers. 

Wish I had a stack of Vickie's....

• Like 2