KiteLife Forum

E-cigs ? Vaping ?

RobB

Question

Just wondered how many of you have given up smoking for the e-cig ? Smoke on the kite field is very helpful in low wind conditions, but after 25 years of smoking, the e-cigs have gotten me off of the bad stuff and I can still tell which way the wind is blowing !

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

....and it was Petes little message that got me thinking on the subject again. So I must give thanks were due. THANKS PETE! 1 little message changed several peoples lives.

Within 1 day I payed that favor forward ...... Got my wife and daughters man to quit also via "vaping"

Well, it's coming up on two years since I had a "real" cigarette. I can't say that it is a LOT cheaper, but I sure feel better.

I found out pretty quickly that I didn't really want the flavors that claimed to mimic the taste of actual tobacco cigarettes, but preferred various other flavors of juice.

I started out with batteries and cartos (cartridge/atomizers) from V4L, but found that I use eCigs heavy enough to want something a bit longer lasting. I had to recharge these smaller batteries too often, and needed to carry several spare cartos if I was going to be away from the house for very long. I now use the eVIC from Joyetech with ViVi Nova rebuildable top-coil tank and DFWvapor "juice". Quite a bit bulkier, but one recharge and one fill of the tank lasts all day. (This really means nothing if you aren't a "vaper".)

I no longer have colds or sinus problems that last for months like I used to when I was smoking 3 or 4 packs of Pall Malls every day. The rooms and vehicles where I used to smoke no longer grow yellow fur on any undusted surface. My computers don't fill up with sticky dust. And I no longer smell like a morning-after ashtray.

(Rant-mode ON) When you hear your government trying to outlaw vaping, consider who has more money: big-tobacco or all the little vaping companies. (Rant-mode OFF)

I'll be happy to help anyone interested via PM or email.

• Like 1

I was hoping this was a post about using e-sigs to create vapor trails while flying kites...

Anyone do anything like this?

To address the issue at hand thanks for sharing the information. As a non-smoker I hadn't put much thought into the issue. Sounds like the e-cigs can play a really positive role in folks lives. Congrats on the health improvements all...

• Like 1

Been a bit over forty years since I went cold turkey. Well there was that one time in '87. But I blame it on the moonshine. To this day I don't mind a little second hand Marlboro but if you want to try something pretty difficult give up wheat. The comments on feeling better hit home because I no longer have the sinus issues that were life long previously, but I digress....The hard core hikers always say "You've got to hike your own hike."

• Like 1

I applaud you all..............QUIT - STOP - THROW THEM AWAY - DO WHATEVER IT TAKES !.............I too, went "Cold Turkey", about 25 - 30 years ago. No doubt, it was very tough for a few years, BUT, "It's the best thing, that I ever did for myself". Bought myself a Rolex, as a reward. I just kept putting the money that I had been spending on cigs, in a jar, and Voila ! Done............

Again, I applaud you all :clap2:

• Like 2

I too thought the flavors were more gimmick than good. But low and behold, mountain dew flavor :) and mango have been getting used quite regularly. I think 1 main thing to remember is, it is NOT a cig....but a healthier alternative or a means of quitting by tapering nicotine levels off .... While still getting the smoking sensations...I.e. throat hit.

Sounds like a nice set up Pete. I wanted to go a similar route, but went with a basic ego setup for simplicity and to get the others on the train with as little moolah as possible. After a day, I got a innokin dct.. going for a helios battery this week.

VAPE ON! :)

• Like 1

Good for you ex-smokers, like me ! I gave up slowly, started by not smoking in my car, because my last car stunk after 3 years of smoking in it. The stink actually made it worth less at trade-in time. So, I haven't smoked in the car since 2010, and I drive 3-5 hours per day. The strangest thing when I finally did stop smoking was not knowing what to do before I got in the car, and when I got to where I was going (I used to have a butt-break). Vaping allowed me to 'smoke' in the car again, without affecting the resale value. I also used to smoke while winding out/in the lines... while setting up the smoke would give me a good idea of the wind conditions. I was only a pack-a-day smoker, but at $11 a pack, $80 a week, after a month I save enough for another new kite. Not to mention feeling 20 years younger !

My setup is an Apollo E-Go with different clear-o-mizers. Like Pete, I had to get a bigger supply for the long day... Now if I could only get the wife to give up the TAR ! 8)

• Like 3

November will be 2 years for me without a cigarette. I know in my heart that eCigs saved my life. I love my chocolate and also Marlboro flavors of eLiquid. Infact, I wear 2 around my neck, one of each flavor. Just yesterday I turned on another kiter to the joys of vaping. I use the top feed tank system and absolutely love it.

As I am not a smoker of Tobacco but as I live in Washington and fly kites I obviously smoke weed. But on the kite field I can't whip out a pipe and I don't always have a joint. So I use the eCigs that are made to use hash oil. No lighter no smoker cough easy as pie on the kite field. Saved my lungs for sure and saved my mind as well.

• Like 2

As I am not a smoker of Tobacco but as I live in Washington and fly kites I obviously smoke weed. But on the kite field I can't whip out a pipe and I don't always have a joint. So I use the eCigs that are made to use hash oil. No lighter no smoker cough easy as pie on the kite field. Saved my lungs for sure and saved my mind as well.

Must be nice... and I didn't know you could do that with an e-cig ! That's a flavor I haven't tried...

I have to try more flavors, I keep returning to classic tobacco. Not that it really tastes like tobacco, but I'm not much for the fruity flavors. Any other good ones you guys have tried ?

• Like 1

I am very new to vaping,my 6th day Marlboro free, but so far ....mountain dew,mango,strong tobacco(almost cigar),weak tobacco(close to camel),sweet citrus blend and some coffers flavors for the wife. I don't like coffee, but did taste and the mixes are pretty good.

One thing I havnt seen mentioned from ya'll is....what's your pg/vg preference on your juices? Me myself and I like some vg for the plooms of Vape,being a fresh convert,I still need that visual of a hit and the throat hit I have read a lot on 100% pg, it makes the flavors outstanding,but virtually no vapor on exhale. My strong tobacco is high pg with good throat hit,but no vapor. I tend to Vape the less favorable flavor with good vapor due to that.

I prefer mostly PG vs VG (propylene glycol vs vegetable glycerine) because I think the glycerine tends to char on the heating coil and eventually lower the resistance to where it won't work any more. (Just my guess/opinion.) That said, my favorite mixes have quite a bit of VG in them and replacement coils are fairly cheap. (My battery system (eVic with variable voltage OR wattage) displays the current resistance of the coil, so I can keep track of how it changes over time - rising as the wire gets thinner or dropping as carbon builds up.)

That "chemical" name for PG may sound disturbing compared to something friendly sounding with "vegetable" in the name, but both are very similar chemical compounds with a long history as food and cosmetic additives which are considered very safe.

• Like 1

I was thinking of going somewhere around 70%pg/30%pg. I have 2 flavors I use daily... 1 is Very flavorful but no Vape, the other OS vice versa. Trying to get a happy in the middle.

Pete- do you mix Any of your own juice?

I have just ordered several 10ml flavors, after these I think on gonna stay making my own. The savings are great this way. Plus you cam buy the nicotine pre mixed with the base....just add flavor and it still be a savings compared to pre made flavors that are pretty inconsistent so far.

I guess that question could goto Rob also, since he started the topic :) I am going to take the adventure of juice making.... Along with making coils for atomizers and wick. The bulk supplies offer a substantial savings. Juices will be the hard work....coils and wicks take about 2 minutes tops to make. I just tested my iclear30s .... After a week of 1ml +/- .5ml in each daily....one being thick and the other citrus,they still read correct ohms. How long do you get out of an atomizer or how often do you clean or replace yours?

I've tried some of the fancier Clearomizers, but revert back to the cheap disposable $5 ones with wicks. My eGo batteries aren't variable voltage, so I don't know much about that. As far as juices, I just buy from Apollo, a 30mg bottle lasts me almost 2 weeks. I've wanted to try others, but haven't found any that I like. I have a bunch of 10 mg bottles that I didn't like, and got tired of wasting $$$ experimenting. I only buy the classic tobacco now, 18mg nicotine strength.

I would like to find the juice a little cheaper, my bottles cost ~$20 for 30mg, which seems a little steep. I could see it being that much if it was the flavor Matt was talking about, but we can't get that here ! :cat_lol:

I typically get a couple of weeks per coil with one juice (sour cherry) with the resistance getting lower and lower, and maybe 4 or 5 weeks with the other juice (sour green apple) with the resistance getting higher and higher. Very puzzling as the juices are from the same company (DFWvapor). Using a constant wattage power source lets me "set it and forget it". I get the same heat no matter what the resistance.

As for mixing my own, juice isn't the main expense for me. I keep buying new equipment as I find the latest and greatest. I may be all set on that for a while with the eVic, and the Vivi Nova top-coil tanks.

• Like 1

One of my wife tank coils I noticed was getting higher ... Thought it was a fluke.

I NEED a good tobacco right now :) the local joint here, you sample a flavor and buy one...and it taste totally different. I think what they are selling does not have the flavor concentrate as the sample.....hence the juice making.

I have read several places about fixing flavors....but everyone's taste is different.

There are some Chinese sellers with major price variations from here... And its the same product,not imitation as they carry most of the big brands....ago,innokin,ego,vivi(minis to jumbo 8ml) its just a battery and coil either way... Thanks for the input!