KiteLife Forum

E-cigs ? Vaping ?

RobB

Question

Just wondered how many of you have given up smoking for the e-cig ? Smoke on the kite field is very helpful in low wind conditions, but after 25 years of smoking, the e-cigs have gotten me off of the bad stuff and I can still tell which way the wind is blowing !

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

I can agree with buying equipment.... I'm sort of a latest and greatest kind of guy myself. But maintenance of that equiptment ..the cost.. can be cut by purchasing wick and coil material. It takes away the quick atomizer(coil) swaps...but if you make up several, you ate good too go.

Got some ViviNova tanks on the way and some usb pass through vv batteries for a second set....as I Vape 2-3 flavors during day.

Rob... The variable voltage batteries are worth it and could make a change In some of those "wasted" flavors. I had one that was horrid...but with a higher voltage the flavor was mellowed and vapor production vastly improved and has become my daily strong stuff.

As for rebuilding coils, my time is worth something (even assuming minimum wage - I could be out flying a kite). If I can buy replacements for $3-4 (ViViNova top coils with new wicks), I can't afford to rebuild them. I just buy 10 or 15 new ones every so often and swap them out when they quit working well. I have saved all the itty-bitty metal and plastic parts, so if I ever have to begin rebuilding (maybe if they quit making them) I will have a supply of the special items and can just get some wick and resistance wire.

• Like 1

I used to like to mod & tinker with stuff, I just don't have time now. The coil based clearomizers don't work as well as the ones with wicks for my eGo. I bought a few, but went back to the basic ones. I guess I should've bought the variable voltage battery, it sounds like.

I used to like to mod & tinker with stuff, I just don't have time now. The coil based clearomizers don't work as well as the ones with wicks for my eGo. I bought a few, but went back to the basic ones. I guess I should've bought the variable voltage battery, it sounds like.

If you are going to "step up" let me recommend VW (variable wattage). Once you set a wattage for any particular juice, it "tracks" the same amount of heating no matter how the resistance of the coil changes as it ages. I set mine to 6.5 Watts, and get very consistent hits until the coil quits working, or the wick gets so clogged up that it can't bring juice to the coil. There are several VW battery packs, but I like the eVic best, so far.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't real clear on what the evic and others like it did. I understood the variable volts,watts and ohms but was unaware that it gave you the set it and forget it type use....I started with a ego twist, but with drain and what not their really hit and miss too for consistency. Do you find it bulky for everyday cary and use? I havnt see it in person or checked dimensions....but looks large from product pics.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't real clear on what the evic and others like it did. I understood the variable volts,watts and ohms but was unaware that it gave you the set it and forget it type use....I started with a ego twist, but with drain and what not their really hit and miss too for consistency. Do you find it bulky for everyday cary and use? I havnt see it in person or checked dimensions....but looks large from product pics.

It is fairly large (7" long with tank and tip, 7/8" diameter, 5 ounces with battery). I carry two of them in my shirt pocket with no difficulty, but I DO know they are there. They have the usual 5-tap protection (after they haven't been used for a few minutes, they won't turn on unless you tap the ON button 5 times quickly). They "peek" out of the top of my pocket, so they do attract attention - which gives me a chance to give a little lecture on eCigs occasionally. :cat_lol:

• Like 1

Pete, what type of Vivi do you have? I just got 3 version 2.5's, right off the bat,I opened the airways to 5/64,the draw was like a milkshake through a straw. Then after a bit of vaping, I shortened the wicks in one..then 2 of them trying to obtain some flavor.I used 3 juices that where loaded with flavor through the Innokin....so I was familiar for comparison.Alas...I still could get no flavor,vapor was good although not warm. I gave up and handed them to the wife,she seems to like them.

So far, the Innokin iclear30 is the one for me..good warm vapor and flavor is off the charts. It has some leaking issues from time to time...but I think they all do to a point. I am really disappointed, I like the tank design a lot. Maybe I will try to find some dual coil heads and try again.

Huh! The ViVi Nova is the first delivery system I have found that doesn't leak. True, I never fill them above about 2.5 ml (not quite to the top mark). One time I accidentally filled one almost to the coil and had some leakage down through the air inlet which eventually emerged at the top of the eVic.

I do keep them upright most of the time, either in one of these blocks (mahogany scraps) which I keep by my reading chair and by my computer, or in my shirt pocket. For a long trip in the car I may keep them in the console cup-holder where they stay almost upright. I sometimes lay them down when I am vaping in other locations but I haven't had this cause any leakage..

th_null_zps5ee25b89.jpg th_null_zps27b6e18e.jpg

As for flavor, if you don't have some kind of adjustable power supply you might want to try some lower resistance coils. With the fixed wattage it works out that I am running at a bit over 4 volts with my 2.4 ohm coils (nominal - they are actually 2.5 - 2.6). If your batteries are delivering a lower voltage, you might want to try the available 1.8 ohm coils.

Didn't have any leaking with the vivi...that's why I wanted them,really like the tank design ..but the innokin does on occasion. I to fill to just below wicks in all tanks. Just getting hardly any flavorfrom the vivi. Just popped one of the rewound coils(2.8) on one of the vivi tanks and filled with grape. Flavor improved but minimal. Warmth was there(improvement) and good vapor(same). With the same grape in the innokin,its like bubblicious grape overload as flavor....no lie. I guess the extra coil makes that big of a difference. I use a vv battery. Usually run a 2.4ohm@4v +/- a little depending on the juice. Oh well, thanks for the input and help! :)

Pete, that block to stand them up is pretty classy ! Those are some pretty big units, though. I originally liked the ones that were similar in size to the cigarettes that I gave up, but they just didn't have the charge or juice capacity that I needed. I need to find some variables that aren't too big, I guess...

The thing that I've found with the fancy big clearomizers is that they make the whole unit unbalanced, big & chunky. That's why I've stuck with the little 1.6 disposables. The ones with the coils burn out way too fast, that's why I've stuck with the ones with the wicks.

I think I'm going to try this VV...

http://www.apolloecigs.com/ego-variable-voltage-p/abegov.htm

There are so many other sites that look like they have good stuff, but I've been using Apollo & they've provided good service. Do you guys think I could do better with another company ? There's nothing local that I can actually go and see these things in person (kind of like kites) and you never know what you're going to get over the internet...

There all basically the same ...cartomizer,clearomizer. They have the same "coils", just go about wicking the juice to the coil in a different manner. I have issues with the 1.6 disposable..always having to manipulate it for proper sealing. The larger stuff do get clunky. Just got the Evic, and even with a light tank...its heavy.... Liked the twist with the Nova tank, it was light and still fairly compact... But had to have 2 as the charge wasn't long enough. Which really wasn't that big of a deal because I Vape 3 different flavors throughout the day and switch tanks off and on.

Ever use a cartomizer tank? Got this one the other day to try and actually really like it. Nice free and mellow hit,good flavor, no leaks,no gurgling,snap,crackle,or popping. Almost a whole tank through it of one flavor ...gonna hit some other flavors through it tomorrow.

post-7551-0-14523900-1378522614_thumb.jp

Nice looking unit. I am having trouble finding a clearomizer or cartomizer that I like for my eGo. I need to find a new supplier, wish there was something local that I could actually see the products before wasting $$$ on them. I've spent good money on pieces that I use once, don't like, and put in a drawer. I guess it's kind of like kiting in that way...

• Like 1

Ever use a cartomizer tank? Got this one the other day to try and actually really like it. Nice free and mellow hit,good flavor, no leaks,no gurgling,snap,crackle,or popping. Almost a whole tank through it of one flavor ...gonna hit some other flavors through it tomorrow.

That tank feeds juice via tiny holes at the bottom of the tank using the changes in internal pressure as you draw vapor. Something about the way I use them seems to pump more liquid than I vaporize, so they sometimes get overfull and either spit a bit of juice into the mouth (nasty-tasting) or leak from around where the tank attaches to the battery (messy). I know a lot of people who don't have this problem with this kind of tank, so it is something that I do wrong. I switched to a top-coil tank (ViVi Nova) which wicks the juice up to an opening and coil which is above the level of the juice most of the time. I find it suits me better.

Vaping seems to be an eternal search for newer and better, so my likes may change over time. They certainly have in the past. BTW, I am now smoke-free for over two years.

Edited by --Pete
  • Like 1

I did have that problem today after filling Pete. But once cleared it was fine. My taste changes from day to day, so its sort nice having variety. I found that once I got the Evic.... My voltages/watts went way down due to the fact that every coils is not the same, no matter what its labeled as. Now no matter what battery I am using...I know the correct voltage to match the coil in the tank im using..has made a big difference in consistency. 6 weeks today for me!

6 weeks today for me!

Keep it up! I was astounded at how easy it was to stay away from burning tobacco once I began vaping. Every other method left me craving for a cigarette. It was a bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

The single most important benefit to me was that I quit smelling like stale tobacco smoke. Once I could smell it on others (it took a while), I was astounded and ashamed by what I must have been inflicting on my family and friends for forty-five years.

• Like 1

The single most important benefit to me was that I quit smelling like stale tobacco smoke. Once I could smell it on others (it took a while), I was astounded and ashamed by what I must have been inflicting on my family and friends for forty-five years.

Luckily, I don't have a dog in this fight (as I mentioned some time back, I quit cold turkey, 25 - 30 years ago), but I for some reason, being a former smoker, I have been somewhat curious about all the discussions, concerning E-Cigs & Vaping, etc. From the beginning, this was all news to me, and I really didn't have a clue, what everyone was talking about (?), until I began reading some of these posts. I really couldn't relate to all the apparatus, etc, but if it works, by all means, keep at it !!

What I can relate to, though, and what really struck home, is what Pete just said. I too, remember that feeling, and the realization that I came to, once I got to the point, where I could detect and smell the odor of tobacco on others, and, "I too, was ashamed", for what I had inflicted upon my family, for so many years.

I applaud you all - Hang in there........... :clap;

The real benefit is still your health, and the health of those around you !

• Like 1

I like fishing for smallmouth bass.

(This is the off-topic thread, right?) :ani_yahoo:

Well, not really - This is the E-cigs ? Vaping ?, thread, or topic, which is posted in the "Everything Else / Off-Topic" section, of the forum. However, the "Everything Else / Off-Topic" section, would definitely be the correct section, to start a new "smallmouth fishing" topic. I like fishing too................! :cat_biggrin:

I think that since, you made the post, you can actually go back and delete it, from this thread, and then re-post it, as a brand new fishing topic, in the "Everything Else / Off-Topic" section. It's the very last section, all the way at the bottom of the main forums page.............

Go Fish ! :ani_victory:

• Like 1