KiteLife Forum

E-cigs ? Vaping ?

RobB

Question

Just wondered how many of you have given up smoking for the e-cig ? Smoke on the kite field is very helpful in low wind conditions, but after 25 years of smoking, the e-cigs have gotten me off of the bad stuff and I can still tell which way the wind is blowing !

Thoughts ?

• Like 1

Hope it helps. I dont know how long its been for me. I quit counting :) I did smoke a small flavored cigar in Destin... but have not smoked any cigs since starting. That was my main vice. Cigars was just a once in a blue moon type thing.

Nicotine levels have gone to the lowest levels available for me and even no nicotine on occasion.

I made the switch during my visit to Destin (thanks Jason), vaping works well for me - discreet, clean, doesn't stink and no more "chunky cough" (rare as it was).

Started on 12mg, switching to 8mg, 4mg is next, looking to work my down to zero.

PG isn't properly researched though so I've gone with 100% Organic VG base, found a superb supplier - http://www.virginvapor.com/collections/organic-e-liquid

The "Absolute Virgin" line is impressive in terms of ingredient quality, tasted good to me, but I'm no "pro".

Looking forward to trying this one - Turkish Coffee

On a Kamry 103, Protank 2, have to do a basic cleaning 2-3 times a day, but it works well.

• Like 2

I hope everyone is doing well on their journey to remain smoke free. I was lucky enough not to get addicted when I was younger. I need you here to help me for a long time because my flying still sucks. Besides, the tobacco companies don't need your money. The kiting community would be much more affected by you folks buying kites and accessories.

• Like 3

John; congrats on the switch! I'd have offered to help in Grand Haven (2012) if I had known you were interested. (I was only about 8 months into vaping at that point myself, but was already a believer.)

I routinely use higher PG/VG ratios. Unlike you, I have no ambition to quit nicotine, so long-term effects are important to me. PG is a pretty well-studied chemical, and is used in a lot of foods and medicines as a softening agent. True, not much study on how it affects people when the vapors are inhaled, but given the amount I have inhaled over the past twenty-eight months (about 5 ml of eJuice per day) I'd have to say that any ill-effects are not immediately noticeable.

EDIT: It is true that some people may have a reaction to PG, and they do have a lot of trouble because of how widely it is used. They also need to avoid USING (or even handling) PG-based eJuice, although the amount exhaled by vapers (miniscule) doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

• Like 1

I love the prep pads for the exact thing. I don't see why your tank is requiring that much maintenance. I sometimes get that gurgling you're talking about, usually happens when filling tank and some liquid gets in the center hole. That's when I run a alcohol pad through it.

There is a learning curve for every maker and style of device..Unfortunately. This has been about the only downfall so far for me.

A battery is a battery in my honest opinion. Quality will bring longer life and better charge\discharge rates. Variable wattage is nice...but not a necessity. Variable voltage is a bare minimum in my opinion.

Tanks and the likes on the other hand. There are a million. Each one behaves differently...and everyone prefers different stuff.

I was pleased to see you making the effort of atleast trying an alternative...as well as oldcaptainrusty ;) Best of luck to you all! I can only hope it goes as smooth for you as it did me.

• Like 2

Mystainedskin turned me on to the vaping the very 1st time we got together to fly. I went out the next day and bought the Blu ecig kit. That was a mistake but as soon as I found a good ecig store I got set up properly. I have not smoked anything since I started; about 3 months ago or so and have not had any problems. I too am reducing my nicotine content as time goes on hoping to eliminate it all together in the near future. Thanks Scott. :)

• Like 1

Here's what my doctor told me... nicotine is about as harmful as caffeine. It's the other 400 some-odd chemicals in cigarettes that are truely harmful. He also said that e-cigs were probably 1000% better than old-school smoking. I haven't cut my nicotine level (18mg) because I don't see the point. 15 months... smoke free !

• Like 2

My wife is allergic to tobacco smoke. After 10 years on the cancer sticks and a couple of months dating, it was a really easy decision to quit, because she was the one. I used sugar free stick candy in place of cigarettes maintaining the same habits until eventually those faded back and I was really done. Coming up on 7 years! Good luck guys!

• Like 3

I'm on iTaste SVD (variable wattage/voltage) now, still on the Virgin Vapor...

Also added an EVOD USB cartomizer to the kit, for when the tank(s) go crappy on me.

Started on 12mg nicotine, down to 8 now, next refill (on it's way) is 4mg.

I do actually enjoy vaping, especially the yummy VV juice, so I'll likely have a custom 2mg (2%) mix done in the future, or go with straight vapor (only 100% organic veg glycerin and natural flavorings). :)

• Like 1

My newest device, go it today. K100 with a kick and a Kanger Protank II. And my new favorite flavor blend- coffee, caramel mocha, and french vanilla ice cream. Mmmmm

With flavors like that, have to wonder why the hell anybody smoked in the first place.
  • Like 2

Too each their own.... personally prefer vaping over smoking. But I am a smoker.. everyone has a view...and each view is unique unto its own. That's what makes life interesting!

After 6 months or so...I smoked 2 packs in T.I.. I was too lazy to go find a vape shop and I wanted too.. by the end of the weekend I was hacking loogeys again...

None of this with vaping..and any flavor your mind can think of.

• Like 1

I think the vape should be treated like smoking was in the 90s. Only indoors in public in places with the right atmosphere i.e bars. Not at the library. Not in line at the damn grocery store! I swear, some people use these things just so they can show off how they can and will smoke anywhere. I'm an ex-smoker, so friends say I can't argue... but I didn't believe smoking should be allowed in restaurants back then, either. Please, take it outside, or go to your car. Your germs are in that vapor you blow out. There's a serious lack of consideration for others where I live regarding these things :( otherwise I think the vaporizer is an excellent advancement in smoking.

• Like 2